April 18, 2014

Scrubs: My Comedy Show

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 11th 2009 11:29AM
J.D. and Turk(S08E10) One moment in this episode made me double over in laughter, which is something that this show hasn't done in quite awhile. Don't get me wrong; the show has been very funny for the most part this season, with several laugh-out-loud moments. But nothing happened that made me just gasp with laughter... until now.

What was that moment? I'll let you know after the jump.

It must have been the fact that I have a knowledge of the show's history and the nature of Turk and J.D.'s relationship (which was officially called a "bromance" for the first time). But when Vanilla Bear and Chocolate Bear, after resisting their urge to show affection around the hospital, ran to each other and embraced while "Guy Love" played in the background, the über-metaness of the moment must have gotten to me. I just started laughing and couldn't stop for at least a solid minute.

It was an episode full of meta jokes, most of which worked. A lot of them came up during the comedy show the interns performed; we went from getting a glimpse of Laverne at an old intern sketch show (more on her in a bit) to the current interns making fun of The Todd, Kelso, and Dr. Beardface. Beardface was the funniest, of course, since the costume was just a huge pare of google-eyes on a sheet of white fur.

But wait, there was more: Carla, in her attempt to make Janitor think that she never plucked a long hair from her chest, told him about some of the things he did that were physically impossible, like building a sandcastle or hoisting J.D. up a flagpole. I'd imagine that this is Bill Lawrence's call-out to his and the fans' lament that some of the show's flights of fancy over the last few years were getting into the realm of the ridiculous, especially because they weren't done under the guise of one of J.D.'s fantasies. The fact that it made Janitor call his entire life into question made it even better. Maybe that's what'll lead us to finally finding out his name.

More fun stuff:
  • Missing cast member alert: No Cox or Ted. I will say, though, that most of the episodes do a good enough job of exploring the other characters that the missing characters aren't noticed as much.
  • The plot where Elliot tries to get Denise / Jo to get out of the hospital more was ok, if only for Elliot's monologue about "ham babies." Otherwise, it was just fun to see the sardonic chubby-chaser Jo interact with the ever-so-happy Sunny (who's last name is Day... That's right... Sunny Day).
  • Noice that Jo wears grey-blue scrubs while everyone else wears brighter shades. Perfect match for her personality.
  • Speaking of Laverne, didn't Aloma Wright come back last year as Shirley? Wonder if the budget cuts took her out of the picture completely.
  • Now we know where "Eagle!" comes from. Who know that it had to do with a Ferris wheel and David Caruso?
  • For some reason, I knew that the way for Sunny and Jo to get out of that Turk / J.D. sketch was just to kiss. That's about the only thing VB and CB haven't done. Though I wonder how the guys could have gone through the last eight years thinking no one but themselves and Carla and Elliot noticed their relationship.
  • Jimmy the overly-touchy orderly does a pretty damn good Dane Cook, doesn't he?
  • At this point, every episode is going to have a Neil Flynn ad-lib, isn't it? I welcome them, because they're really good.

That's it until March 18, when we go to single episodes on Wednesdays. Hope you folks can hold out for the next five weeks, 'cause it's starting to get good...

jt

seriously? no mention of judy reyes in glasses?? as if the woman couldn't look any better..

February 13 2009 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Funniest line of the episode: "I love me some Jesus"

February 12 2009 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Last night made me come to the conclusion on the Janitor's real name: Neil Flynn

I'm thinking it'll be revealed that he's just being studying a role for all these years (considering they brought up his ver real Fugitive scene again). I think that'd be hilarious but probably isn't the route they're going.

February 11 2009 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Just a reminder Joel, Turk and JD have kissed before, back in Season 4, My Big Move. JD proves to Turk that his "friend-kiss" with Carla meant nothing by laying one on him. Followed by a hilarious Todd line.

February 11 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

probably the best episode of the season

February 11 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Bonus for the janitor mumbling something about, "Maybe I wasn't really in The Fugitive." :)! Meta-meta-meta.

February 11 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Duane's comment
cdawg

oh was that the ad-lib? I loved that part too, had to pause, laugh, explain to husband why that was funny, and continue

February 11 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Hey I noticed the Umlaut :-)

Ãœber-review Joel ;-)

February 11 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie23

I thought it was a great episode. The Guy Love montage dating back from the musical episode was fantastic. For every loyal fan of the show that was definetly for them. That was by far my favorite moment of the season.

What was the Neil Flynn Ad Lib? Most of his lines are pretty out there.

February 11 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

which was Janitor's ad lib?

I was so happy they played Guy Love. I watch that episode like once a week on my Ipod. And I totally remember the flagpole incident, although I'm fuzzy on the sandcastle.

It does seem, as you said in the other ep recap, that this season is a nod to the loyal viewers such as ourselves, and I LOVE that.

I could totally be down, by the way, with a Scrubs: the new class, starring Jo.

February 11 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdawg's comment
RevJonathan

At first, I was not a fan of the interns, but now I would totally watch it. Too bad "Ed" won't be in it, but there is definite potential here.

Renew it ABC! As much as I love the current cast, there's no way you could keep their salaries and Zach Braff is going to be great in films. Let Faison, Chalke, Reyes and Braff go. Tone down the Janitor and Ted and keep McGinley as the overseeing Chief of Medicine. The interns have a great dynamic and it is totally worth it to give them at least a shortened season to try it out.

Whatever the switch to ABC did to this show, it is 100% working.

February 11 2009 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply