July 29, 2014

Drew Carey is finally shedding his identity... and I like it

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 12th 2009 2:05PM
New Drew on TPiRUnlike some of The Price is Right's most ardent fans -- and anyone who's visited a certain fan site know how how anal those fans can be -- I like the job Drew Carey's been doing as the show's host. He's a personable guy whose gentle but somewhat snarky sense of humor brings the show somewhat closer to 21st century sensibilities than it had been under Bob Barker. Yes, his attempts at bringing humor to certain parts of the show and his somewhat uneven levels of enthusiasm have been problematic. But overall, he's doing a good job.

One thing I've noticed about Drew lately is that he's finally dropping the "high school vice principal" look he's had since he started doing stand-up in the eighties. No more round glasses and crew cut; he now sports fashionable black frames and has grown out his hair a bit. Heck, sometimes he doesn't even wear a tie, as the picture above shows.

Good for Drew. I mean, the "fifties guy" gimmick was a good way for his stand-up to get noticed and even translated well to his down-and-out Drew character on The Drew Carey Show. But he doesn't need it anymore; in fact, the look was probably starting to become incongruous with a show that's now giving away iPods and hybrid cars.

And the good thing is that the look still buys Drew some anonymity; all he has to do is pop in some contacts and grow his hair a little longer and no one would recognize him. When I interviewed him last summer at the TCAs, he wasn't wearing glasses. If I wasn't at a CBS party at the time, I probably wouldn't have even taken a second look. Not a bad way to be a celebrity, huh?

idooptical

i think he need to check which frame model to fit his face first
www.idooptical.com/prescription_designer_glasses.php

October 25 2011 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that he's not wearing ties on some shows, because maybe, he can't stand wearing ties. I like that he got black frames because the round glasses were becoming annoying. And he's getting better at hosting and getting interactive with the contestants this season instead of being cold and disconnected from them during the first season. As for one of the earlier comments, I wish that some contestants would stop wearing Drew-type shirts or anything with Drew's face or likeness on them. It's too attention grabbing and flashy. As if a plain, ordinary shirt doesn't matter to them.

March 17 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darsh

I think Drew's doing a great job as the new host. I especially like when he takes jabs at some of the ridiculous prizes they give away, like a replica 50's gas pump for your livingroom. Or the sponsors aimed at the elderly.

February 12 2009 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chizzle from Showbizzle

Boy do I miss Bob Barker.

chizzle Showbizzle

February 12 2009 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I like him... Moreso than Bob!

February 12 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

LASIX surgery doesn't necessarily mean no glasses. In my case I went from needing trifocals to needing reading classes. I don't necessarily need glasses while using the computer but for long stretches they reduce eye strain so I now have bifocals. I knew what to expect going in and wound up with great distance vision and improved middle and close-up vision.

February 12 2009 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

When I had my laser eye surgery done in Los Angeles, Drew was on a video they showed all the patients, saying how the procedure was a success for him. He doesn't even need the glasses! It's just a gimmick.

February 12 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment
Joel Keller

True, Drew didn't need the glasses after LASIX. Apparently, though, he now needs bifocals, especially to read the prices on stage. So he's back to the glasses again.

February 12 2009 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

If I remember right I think he got eye corrective surgery sometime during his TV show run. But still wears the glasses (with no prescription) for his identity.

February 12 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan's comment
John D\'arc

I'm pretty sure Bob Barker's fans did the same thing. Yes, Drew isn't at Bob's tenure level yet, but still.

February 12 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply