July 24, 2014

Fallon hopes he'll be the shy, giggly voice of America

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 12th 2009 9:02AM
A lot of people, myself included, have been hard on Jimmy Fallon's chances for bringing the funny with his new late night show.

I've put the cart before the horse so many times with the new Late Night host that there's a good chance I'll end up with bloody hoof-prints on my face come this summer.

But this Page Six item in that bonfire of journalistic integrity, The New York Times Post, gave me even more mixed feelings about Fallon's future in his quest for the attention of bleary, bloodshot eyeballs across the fruited plain.

Fallon told W Magazine that he hoped to inject a bit of satire into his new late night pot-roast. He described the shows Letterman did in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks as a reflection of his own views and feelings, and he hopes he can return the favor.

"Hopefully, I can be a voice of America like that," Fallon said in his interview. "Hopefully, people will say, 'I wonder what Jimmy Fallon thinks.' "

So his intentions are pure. That's good to know. It's clear by this, his choice of a house band, and the set-up of his studio that laughs aren't the only thing on his mind. He wants his show to be more than just a silly comedy that keeps sleepless parents and alcoholics (isn't that redundant?) entertained.

Unfortunately, it's hard to know how well he'll pull that off without throwing him in the water to see if he floats. Other than his stint on SNL's "Weekend Update" and some sketches, it's hard to gauge his ability to do good satire. It doesn't mean he can't or won't succeed with his intentions, but you gotta have skill as well as heart. I learned that from American Idol.

screaminghello

now i dont want to be one of those people who comes on here and judges other people's likes and dislikes but if you're actually a fan of craig ferguson then you need to reevaluate your life. he is an extremely corny overacting hack who somehow seems to be hyptnotizing america w/ his accent.

i hope fallon does well but i dont want him to turn it a show where he gets on his soapbox every night and tell us what he thinks.

February 12 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

The real upshot is the upcoming crash of Conan. Fallon won't get a lead in, and some may think that's part of Fallon's issue. It won't be.

The weakness of Conan and the relative strength of Craig will become apparent when Craig moves up to take Letterman's place. Letterman is going to stick around long enough to win the late night war over Conan, and then retire leaving the spot to Craig.

So, Fallon gets a pass until Conan falls by the ratings' wayside. Hopefully Fallon can get his sealegs by then. Luck to him.

February 12 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

He look annoying... Sorry!

February 12 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I'm sticking with The Late Late Show.

February 12 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

I love to read cheap jabs against papers like the NY Post, written by bloggers who would give their left nut to work there. But what is a "Bonfire of journalistic integrity?"

February 12 2009 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I believe his chances of success are far greater than Conan's on the Tonight Show.

February 12 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I saw him last night on Conan. Still not impressed.

February 12 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I'm very interested by the use of technology and the band and how the show is being set up but I still have huge doubts as to his quality as a host. I suppose Conan grew into it, although he has ended up a bit repetitive.

February 12 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I just don't believe it's gonna work. He's doing a good job reaching out to the nerd crowd, but Conan already does that.

I did like him on SNL a bit, but I don't think he has the chops. Ferguson will destroy him.

February 12 2009 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I am going to take the wait and see approach to Jimmy here. I think he could be great...

He could also be on for a single season.

February 12 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply