November 28, 2014

The Office: Lecture Circuit (Part 2)

by Jay Black, posted Feb 12th 2009 11:07PM
Hey, remember when these reviews were long?(S05E14) I don't usually cringe at The Office. For whatever reason, it's hard for me to disconnect the part of my brain that understands that the people I'm watching are actors speaking words written by writers. I know that makes me sort've like Rain Main describing a kiss -- wet -- but I can't help myself: I just don't cringe.

That being said, during Michael's presentation tonight, I cringed so hard that I am currently a hunchback.

I'm not even sure what I felt could be described as good. It's like eating hot peppers at one of those places that makes you sign a waiver that you won't sue them for burning off your tongue: are you happy or sad at the end of the meal?

All I know is that any show that's able to get my gut to churn that much (even though I know that the person on the screen isn't real) must be doing something right...

The rest of the episode was fantastic as well, with a nice ending to the Dwight/Jim party planning fiasco (who wouldn't want to take a nap at work?), and a delightfully disturbing C story involving Angela and her crazy cat obsession.

Other stuff:

-- It's been a long time since I've taken a trip to Creepyville regarding Jenna Fischer, so let's go there, shall we? Is it possible for a human being to be more cute than Pam was tonight when she was doing her impression of Michael doing his impression of Forest Gump? No, it's not. Case closed.

-- Oh, and speaking of creepy: girls, what was your opinion of the Holly-obsessed Michael cutting off a piece of her sleeve? Was it sad and emotional? Or was it borderline Jame Gumb?

-- Speaking of Holly, it was a big disappointment that she wasn't there, but I get the feeling we'll be seeing her again in May. It just serves as a warning to all you fellas out there: don't get involved with a woman who was recently nominated for an Academy Award.

-- More Holly: Pam must be hiding something that she read in that letter, right? It can't be that easy.

-- "I was looking at pictures of food on my computer."

-- After what she did to Andy, it's nice to ponder Angela's slow descent as her neighborhood's "Cat Lady", isn't it?

-- "For $7000, I can get you a kid."

-- We're in an odd position, arc-wise, this season, in the sense that since Pam and Jim have been relatively friction-free of late, The Office has lost some of its dramatic drive. Don't get me wrong, these have been a great set of episodes. And, while I don't think, necessarily, that The Office needs Jim staring longingly at Pam to be good, it's worth asking the question as we move into the show's later seasons: do you think The Office can be "special" with a stable, happy Jim and Pam?

As always, your comments are like my lover's sweater sleeve to me.

The Office' Photos

THE OFFICE Steve Carell as Michael Scott and Amy Ryan as Holly star in the episode "Weight Loss." Airs Thursday, September 25, 2008.

NBC

NBC

THE OFFICE Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor and Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin star in the episode "Weight Loss." Airs Thursday, September 25, 2008.

NBC

THE OFFICE Amy Ryan as Holly and Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone star in the episode "Weight Loss." Airs Thursday, September 25, 2008.

NBC

THE OFFICE, Steve Carell, ''Did I Stutter'', (Season 4, airing May 1, 2008), 2005-. Photo: Chris Haston / NBC

THE OFFICE, Rainn Wilson, ''Did I Stutter'', (Season 4, airing May 1, 2008), 2005-. Photo: Chris Haston / NBC

THE OFFICE, Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, ''Did I Stutter'', (Season 4, airing May 1, 2008), 2005-. Photo: Chris Haston / NBC

THE OFFICE, Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, ''Night Out'', (Season 4, airing April 24, 2008), 2005-. Photo: Mitch Haddad / NBC

THE OFFICE, Rainn Wilson, Cassie Fliegel, ''Night Out'', (Season 4, airing April 24, 2008), 2005-. Photo: Mitch Haddad / NBC

THE OFFICE, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Rainn Wilson, ''The Dinner Party'', (Season 4, episode 4013, aired April 10, 2008), 2005-,. Photo: Chris Haston / NBC / courtesy everett collection

ac

I found the Michael speech so cringe worthy i had to walk out of the room.

February 13 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

I have to say, this was one of the best episodes when it comes to the Jim/Dwight storyline. My favorite line(from what I remember): Jim - "Okay next time you get the cake and I get to yell at the birthday girl!"

Also I don't remember if this has been explained, but where is Ryan? I noticed this a couple of episodes ago. He isn't even in the background...

February 13 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kat's comment
Monkeydog

Shooting Inglorious Basterds with Tarantino.

It was explained a few episodes ago, he was just going off to Thailand or something...just an excuse to have his character be absent while he was off shooting said movie.

February 13 2009 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I felt the exact same way. it was hard to watch. This is the only show that has ever made me feel that way. I didn't really like this episode. So much promise and little glimpses of funny, but that's about it.

February 13 2009 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Kelley spelled with an E between the L and the Y. lolz.
"I'm too excited to sleep!"

February 13 2009 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Part of me was expecting the receptionist to have referred Michael and Pam to the "wrong" Holly. I don't recall if they asked for her last name (I think they did), but maybe the receptionist got confused and referred them to a different Holly that was in that office. Then again, they did say she was on an HR retreat, so I guess that kills the theory.

IT IS YOUR BIRTHDAY. (still drop-dead hillarious)

February 13 2009 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Where was Andy?! I missed him.

February 13 2009 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

Jim and Dwight came up with the perfect birthday theme for ME. I could never decide between an hour nap or an hour of TV at work. What a great gift!

February 13 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John in Dallas

When Michael saw Ed Grimley on Holly's computer backdrop - that was priceless. If ever he needed a sign from heaven that they are made for each other.

February 13 2009 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

Absolute favorite moment of the night was the last one; When dwight woke Kelly from her birthday nap. As she trotted out of the room, his patting her on the butt and saying "Many Happy Returns" made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself. It looked so off-hand, I am wondering if it wasn't just a brilliant ad-lib...

February 13 2009 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I have one nit: slow descent? She's full blown crazy.

Good fun to watch though - especially the hairball...

February 13 2009 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philly_phenom's comment
kip

I know! She LICKED her CAT!

February 13 2009 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply