April 19, 2014

Christine's adventure includes nod to Seinfeld

by Allison Waldman, posted Feb 13th 2009 9:02AM
SeinfeldThe New Adventures of Old Christine is one of my favorite sitcoms and last night's episode included what I saw as a tribute to TV icons Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore, as well as Seinfeld. Yes, Julia Louis-Dreyfus had a true Elaine moment that was not only hilarious, but a real wink to her Seinfeld fans.

The CBS sitcom came up with a doozy of a situation, although it felt familiar to me, which I'll explain why in a moment. Christine was determined to prove that she was not afraid of living alone and wound up locked out of her house. She climbed back in through a bathroom window and got her foot stuck in the toilet bowl!

Familiar, right? I immediately thought of Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance stuck in the shower full of water on The Lucy Show. Remember that one? I also flashed on Mary Tyler Moore with her big toe stuck in the drain on a very memorable Dick Van Dyke Show. It was a ridiculous site to see Julia splayed out on the tile with her foot in the toilet but very, very fun -- just like Lucy and Viv and Laura Petrie.

But there was more. As Christine bemoaned how dependent she's become, she recalled a time when she was a tough cookie, strong and forceful. To illustrate, she remembered a time when Christine confronted a strange guy who she thought was stealing the newspaper from the doorstep of someone else's apartment. It was like a scene right out of Seinfeld! Christine even looked like Elaine, including the bigger hair, shoulder pads and black and white saddle shoes (you can see them in the picture above).

This was one of the few times on Christine that I can recall Dreyfus tipping her cap to Seinfeld. I love it when there are homages like this in current TV shows, especially when it's done as well as this one was. It was a really good one.

Will

I loved it, I'm a huge Seinfeld fan & it was a great and unexpected gag. I wonder if younger viewers who maybe haven't seen Seinfeld caught the joke.

February 14 2009 at 4:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Mac

Did you notice the music note played as the flashback started? It was the same cue Seinfeld used when cutting between scenes (or one of them), or one so close I couldn't tell the difference.

I was actually trying to think if they had put in a real scene from Seinfeld. =)

February 13 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I haven't seen it yet... But have it on Tivo. Can't wait!

February 13 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

I thought it was hilarious too. My boyfriend, though -- one of the three white people in the United States who has never watched an entire episode of Seinfeld was like "what the f was that?" -- though after I explained it, he appreciated the nod.

God, I think Old Christine might be the most underrated show on TV right now.

February 13 2009 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jed

If you listened, there was even an homage to the Seinfeld theme song when it transitioned from the "Seinfeld" scene back to Christine in her bathroom.

February 13 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I don't watch this show, but I love the nod to Seinfeld. Rock on Julia.

February 13 2009 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacquelynn

Thank you so much for bringing this up. I was hysterical during the scene in the apartment hallway. I kept expecting George or Kramer to pop out of one of the doors. It was nice to see "Elaine" back, albeit briefly. Saddle shoes rule.

February 13 2009 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

The toilet bowl sequence also reminded me of the time Ann Marie got her toe stuck in a bowling ball on an episode of 'That Girl'. (By the way, a trivial detail - but Laura Petrie got her toe stuck in the spigot of the tub, not the drain.)

February 13 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply