Grey's Anatomy: Before and After
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 13th 2009 1:03AM
(S05E15) "I need you to be a God." - Addison to Derek
The Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy crossover reached its peak this week with a two-hour event. Both episodes were so action packed, thanks to patients Jen and Archer who were part of the two episodes, that this week you not only get a review for the Grey's Anatomy installment but also one for the Private Practice episode.
So let's get to it, shall we?
Before we get down to the crossover action, I want to comment on the Izzie, Sadie, and Owen storylines.
- I know the interns have not showed much skills lately, but I was a bit surprised that the Chief allowed Izzie to have all the interns play her little games. Yes, the games allowed the staff to test and teach interns, but it prevented them from actually treating real patients and helping the doctors out. This is surprising, especially at a time where most doctors are busy either in surgery or watching a surgery. In any case, it was nice to see a happy Izzie, even if her happiness may be partially due to her condition. It also gave George a chance to be on screen for longer than 30 seconds!
- Even if most of us knew that Melissa George, who plays Sadie, was set to leave the show at the end of this episode, I must admit that I was a bit surprise to see her go that way. I always thought that Sadie wasn't too bad of an intern. Yes, she was a bit unorthodox and borderline crazy, but she seemed to know what she was doing until last week, no? I am not sad to see her go however, as I never really connected with the character and could care less what happened to her. It'll be interesting though to see if she did mix up the blood tests last week as some of you speculated. If so, Sadie's actions will have major repercussions in upcoming episodes.
- Looks like I was right about Beth: she and Owen did date. Even more, they were engaged, and he broke things off in a two-liner email! That is almost as bad as being dumped on a post-it note, no? I didn't care much for the storyline, as it didn't change who Owen is to Cristina. I'm sure the two of them will resume their love affair next week.
In case you are trying to keep tabs on who's who:
- Addison's brother is Archer.
- Addison, Archer, Derek, Naomi, Sam, and Mark have known each other since school/medical studies.
- Addison married/divorced Derek.
- Addison dated Mark.
- Archer is now dating Naomi, who used to be married to Sam.
- Archer and Derek hate one another.
- Addison and Naomi are BFFs.
Most surgery scenes are usually impressive on Grey's but I must admit that the production team did fantastic work with Archer's surgery, especially with the camera images where we saw Derek use the pen-like tool to remove the parasites from Archer's brain.
I fell for Jen who had to wait hours for her surgery. It must be excruciating to be waiting for such a surgery when pregnant. As soon as Jen convinced Derek to operate asap instead of the next morning, I knew something would happen post-operation... my gut was right and I'm sure yours was as well.
After a few minutes of partying, Derek "God" Shepard was called back down to Earth to deal with the harsh reality: Jen was having difficulties breathing. Would he be able to save her? Was Archer out of the woods? Only the Private Practice episode had answers....
Click here to read my review of Private Practice's "Ex-Life".