September 1, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Before and After

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 13th 2009 1:03AM
Grey's Anatomy
(S05E15) "I need you to be a God." - Addison to Derek

The Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy crossover reached its peak this week with a two-hour event. Both episodes were so action packed, thanks to patients Jen and Archer who were part of the two episodes, that this week you not only get a review for the Grey's Anatomy installment but also one for the Private Practice episode.

So let's get to it, shall we?

Before we get down to the crossover action, I want to comment on the Izzie, Sadie, and Owen storylines.
  • I know the interns have not showed much skills lately, but I was a bit surprised that the Chief allowed Izzie to have all the interns play her little games. Yes, the games allowed the staff to test and teach interns, but it prevented them from actually treating real patients and helping the doctors out. This is surprising, especially at a time where most doctors are busy either in surgery or watching a surgery. In any case, it was nice to see a happy Izzie, even if her happiness may be partially due to her condition. It also gave George a chance to be on screen for longer than 30 seconds!
  • Even if most of us knew that Melissa George, who plays Sadie, was set to leave the show at the end of this episode, I must admit that I was a bit surprise to see her go that way. I always thought that Sadie wasn't too bad of an intern. Yes, she was a bit unorthodox and borderline crazy, but she seemed to know what she was doing until last week, no? I am not sad to see her go however, as I never really connected with the character and could care less what happened to her. It'll be interesting though to see if she did mix up the blood tests last week as some of you speculated. If so, Sadie's actions will have major repercussions in upcoming episodes.
  • Looks like I was right about Beth: she and Owen did date. Even more, they were engaged, and he broke things off in a two-liner email! That is almost as bad as being dumped on a post-it note, no? I didn't care much for the storyline, as it didn't change who Owen is to Cristina. I'm sure the two of them will resume their love affair next week.
Even if drama brought Addison, Naomi and Sam to Seattle Grace, it was fun to watch them chit chat with Derek, Archer and Mark. Who knew that Derek used to play guitar and even composed a song for Addison?! Meredith certainly didn't, which made her think a bit more about the MerDer coupling. I was surprised there were no mentions of finding the rose petal ... not even to her BFF Cristina.

In case you are trying to keep tabs on who's who:
  • Addison's brother is Archer.
  • Addison, Archer, Derek, Naomi, Sam, and Mark have known each other since school/medical studies.
  • Addison married/divorced Derek.
  • Addison dated Mark.
  • Archer is now dating Naomi, who used to be married to Sam.
  • Archer and Derek hate one another.
  • Addison and Naomi are BFFs.
Derek had a lot on his shoulder this week but was able to deliver the goods and be a God for both Archer and Jen ... or so it looked until the end of the episode (more on that in my Private Practice review). One thing is sure, the guy can handle the pressure. Not only were there tons of people watching him perform surgery on Archer, but he was operating on his ex-brother-in-law, no small feat.

Most surgery scenes are usually impressive on Grey's but I must admit that the production team did fantastic work with Archer's surgery, especially with the camera images where we saw Derek use the pen-like tool to remove the parasites from Archer's brain.

I fell for Jen who had to wait hours for her surgery. It must be excruciating to be waiting for such a surgery when pregnant. As soon as Jen convinced Derek to operate asap instead of the next morning, I knew something would happen post-operation... my gut was right and I'm sure yours was as well.

After a few minutes of partying, Derek "God" Shepard was called back down to Earth to deal with the harsh reality: Jen was having difficulties breathing. Would he be able to save her? Was Archer out of the woods? Only the Private Practice episode had answers....

Click here to read my review of Private Practice's "Ex-Life".

Grey's Anatomy' Photos

Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of her new public service announcement produced by OTCSafety.org at Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City.

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 24: Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of a new public service announcement for OTCsafety.org at the Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Chandra Wilson

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Actor Patrick Dempsey (R) and wife Jillian Dempsey arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chandra Wilson and Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Actress Chandra Wilson arrives at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Actor Patrick Dempsey poss in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

(L-R) Actors Sandra Oh and Patrick Dempsey pose in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Sherry

I've never watched an episode of GA (only PP) before until I heard about this crossover so I did a very quick rundown of the first two seasons to get me prepared for it. And in doing so, I've realized that Addison is my favorite character and that there was no point in following GA after she leaves (I stuck around and watched the third season) because it kinda makes you hate every character on that show eventually...

Anyway, it was an amazing episode! If I had watched GA when it first originally aired, I think I would have been a bit pissed off because you find out more about Addison and Derek's relationship in those two episodes than you do in the two years Addison was at SGH. But the singing and the old friends reconnecting, I loved that.

Someone above me said they didn't like the god comment Addison made to Derek but personally, I loved it. It totally referenced an older episode where Addison told Derek he wasn't a god and I found the parallels wonderful.

And I do hope PP will stay around for at least another season because I'm not ready to let go of the character of Addison yet so I hope it did see a nice ratings boost from this crossover. Here's to hopes!

February 16 2009 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

I have a few comments and questions...

I'm pretty sure Mark has said he was in love with Addison. So that makes the affair he had with her a little more deep than dating (like Isabelle said) or sleeping together (like a commenter said).

Also, if those doctors were drinking all night (it was morning when they left the bar), how did nobody smell the alcohol on their breaths? They were acting pretty tipsy at the bar. I was thinking the pregnant lady would smell it on Derek and accuse him of negligence even though he wasn't drunk at the time of the surgery. Even if that didn't happen, he & Addison went straight from the bar to the hospital, so chances are they were a little intoxicated as they helped the pregnat woman.

So with Sadie gone, will we never find out what happened in Amsterdam that caused Sadie & Meredith's friendship to never be the same? They used to be like Cristina & Meredith. Speaking of Mer & Cristina, I miss them. I didn't like dark & twisty Meredith and her constant whining, but I loved the comic relief between Mer & Cristina when they danced it out or displayed one of their other quirky bonds.

I don't have a problem with the show. It's silly. I hope to god real hospitals aren't that incestuous with doctors sleeping together in the on-call room. I don't mind suspending reality while I watch an entertaining tv program. I don't even mind when the writers undo a storyline (like in Heroes). But the celebration at the bar seemed to be a big part of the episode, so I was surprised it didn't tie into anything else. Did anyone else notice that?

February 14 2009 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Saying that Addison dated Mark is kind of like saying that Brad is dating Angelina. Derek found Addison having sex with Mark in Derek and Addison's bed while Derek and Addison were married. That's more than dating.

As for Lexie winning the competition, it was entirely predictable given her idetic (photographic) memory.

February 13 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

that line, "i need you to be god" made me cringed, who talks like that? like he wasn't under enough pressure already.

February 13 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I actually liked this ep due to its fast pace and I thought that Sam and Bailey had a great bond. However, Archer, the patient, and Naomi, the patient's girlfriend, were just window-dressing, so I felt the x-over wasn't all too necessary other than showing Kate Walsh's emote-ability.

Side note: the appearance of Derek's old friends reminded me of a problem I had with Grey's: Derek doesn't have anyone to relate to. While he's buried the shovel with Mark, and in the past Rhimes tried to make a trio with Derek, Burke & the Chief, I think his lack of people to confide in (compared with Meredith) makes the relationship uneven.

February 13 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

I thought Sadie's exit was extremely weak. Just like Hahns was. Although it does make it a little hard for her character to come back, since it seems she cannot "Doctor." Havent we seen her diagnos and treat before?

February 13 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

What a train wreck of an idea. This novelty concept (which ABC stupidly bought) combines a soap opera taking place in a hospital with a touchy-feely man-bashing show targeted at postpartum mothers. What the hell?

So irritating and so pointless.

You have the five former friends "singing" Derek and Addison's marriage song in a bar. Lame.

You have the ever-irritating Owen and Cristina relationship getting ever-so-complicated with Owen's clingy ex-fiance entering the picture. Lame.

You have a poor attempt by the writers to add some storyline for Katherine Heigl so she doesn't throw anymore hissy fits since she's a MOVIE star. And that is? Breaking out the construction paper and creating a GAME for the interns. Which Lexie wins (of course). LAME.

I almost threw up when the Private Practice episode started, because the show sucked the testosterone out of me. Just like the male characters on PP... about as feminine as the females.

Shonda Rhimes should be fired and her shows cancelled. Who enjoys this crap?

Now go ahead and flame me. It'll be better writing than the crap that Shonda dished out tonight.

February 13 2009 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to mb's comment
Val

I don't watch Private Practice at all so when i heard they were doing this crossover i was pretty much screwed.. i was lost on everything private practice in this episode.. not only that didn't even DVR the second hour... i don't understand why they didn't just make this a huge 2 hour block on the guide.. damn i screwed up Thursday big time...

February 13 2009 at 3:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Val's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Yeah, when they do crossovers, people who don't watch one of the shows are lost a bit as they don't know the characters, etc.

You can watch the second hour online or on Saturday at 10 p.m. on ABC (according to The Futon Critic's schedule)

February 13 2009 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

It is just a stunt by the producers to try and raise the ratings for both shows. They are looking for people exactly like you, who watch only one show. Then if you give the other show a chance, they don't pull any punches, and hope to get you hooked before they continue down their road of mediocrity.

I don't think it worked very well. I doubt the shows saw much of a ratings boost, and they'll both be off the air soon.

February 13 2009 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

i just started watching the ep but i just wanted to say this - so thats where bernard has been the last few eps of lost. he's off the island & at seattle grace. lol. now where is rose?

February 13 2009 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to xnifex's comment
iamored8907

Shes been on a few episodes of The Secret Life of the American Teenager, lol

February 13 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

That's right, she is that one kids foster mother.

February 13 2009 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply