September 2, 2014

Private Practice: Ex-Life

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 13th 2009 1:32AM
Private Practice
(S02E16) "I'm not pathetic. I'm a man. A man with asthma." - Sam

The second hour of the Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy crossover was as action-packed as the first hour (read the review here)! Was Archer going to make it? Why was Jen having troubles breathing? Was Sam having asthma attacks because he couldn't let go of Naomi? What were Pete, Violet, Dell, and Cooper up to back at Oceanside?

Answers and my two cents about the episode coming up!

It's been over a year since I last reviewed Private Practice. I must admit that I didn't enjoy the first season as much as I would have liked. However, the show found its footing this season, and we've been treated to some pretty solid episodes as of last. Of course, this week's crossover installment falls into that category, even if the action at Oceanside was pretty much to fill some air time. Before we get to the postpartum depression storyline, let's tackle the crossover events.

I must admit that I was a bit pissed at Derek for not wanting to do the CT scan. I was certain something was wrong with Archer due to his speech problems after the operation, even if doctors claimed it was due to the meds. I, along with Addison and the Chief, should have put faith in God -- going by the name of Derek this week -- and not order that CT scan.

Even if I thought that Archer would soon die -- something I don't want because I think the character helped enhance the show and should stick around as a regular -- I had fun watching him ask for forgiveness for all his past sins. He even admitted that he had feelings for Naomi, which is good because she has feelings for him, too. Another reason I want Archer to stick around is because he cured Naomi of her annoying-ness and constant complaining. Now that Archer is cured, will he try to have a serious relationship with Naomi, or will he go back to being a bachelor as a way to celebrate escaping death? I hope it's the former, but I have a hunch it's the latter.

Jen's medical problems offered a great showdown and, ultimately, partnership between Addison and Derek. Her condition also brought an interesting dilemma: should Addison give birth to the baby which would save the mother but maybe save the baby, should Derek try a risky in utero brain surgery on the baby that could save both mother and baby or kill them both, or should they wait two weeks for the baby to be stronger ... which could also cause both to die?

God/Derek pleaded his case to Addison and won: he got to save the day and cure the baby. Sadly, something is still wrong with the mother, and I'm not sure now it has to do with the baby. Addison will more than likely say "Told you so" to Derek and give birth to the baby. However, I doubt this will solve the problem as it would be too easy, too fast for a crossover event. I sense a showdown between Derek and Addison again next week, you?

This may have been a Private Practice episode, but we still learned a few tidbits about the Grey's Anatomy doctors:
  • Alex senses that a train is coming where Izzie is concerned and that it may end up in a train wreck. Sadly, we all know his gut feeling is right. Let's hope he will be willing to stay by Izzie's side when they discover what is wrong with her.
  • Mark says that seeing Naomi and Archer together gives him hope when his relationship with Lexie is concerned. You can see Mark is falling for Little Grey and that he doesn't know what to do about it since she is the first real love he's ever had (I don't think he was ever really truly madly deeply in love with Addison).
  • Bailey's marriage is still rocky. Thanks to seeing Sam react to Naomi and Archer being a couple, Bailey will hug and thank her husband to help save her marriage and not end up divorcing him.
Back at Oceanside, the doctors needed to help new mother Rachel cope with postpartum depression. Even if this storyline, as I mentioned before, was pretty much there to fill in some air time, the subject matter was an important one. People don't take postpartum depression seriously but should, because offering the right support and treatment can help save families and babies. Thanks to people like Brooke Shields who admitted suffering from it and to episodes like this, we will learn more about this type of depression, how it affects women, the families, the babies, and how to seek help, etc.

Because of the crossover event, the Private Practice characters didn't get much development this week. However, Pete once again told Violet that it's important for her to allow the baby's dad to be involved; Charlotte gave Violet a chance, but saw that there is no place for her (Charlotte) in Cooper's life right now and told him so; Violet learned more about motherhood and questioned herself as to whether she will be a good mother or not.

Do you think the Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy crossover is good? Let your voice be heard in comments below or in our poll. Tune in next week at 9 p.m. for the conclusion of the crossover.

What do you think of the crossover?
It rocks!138 (37.7%)
It's good.138 (37.7%)
Meh.49 (13.4%)
Boring.13 (3.6%)
Worst idea ever!28 (7.7%)

kate

Does anyone remember the pilot? Addison questioned why Naomi & Violet were sitting in front of the elevators. Then the doors opened and out comes a wet, shirtless Dell, returing from his lunch break surfing. And the women all start drooling and get all hot and bothered? I know the writers have purposely veered from that direction (now Dell is a serious father, wants to be a midwife, fell in love with Naomi, etc), but that was such a fun playful element of the show and I want it back! It was kinda like Meredith & Cristina's quirky friendship on Grey's Anatomy. Even the hot chemistry between Addison & Pete in the stairwell is gone. And Cooper looking for sex on the internet is now Cooper moving in with Violet to help take care of her and wanting to marry Charlotte. The show is so different now than where they started, and in my opinion, it's not for the better.

I hope Violet goes into labor early so the writers don't drag out the paternity storyline too far. It's just not interesting in this holding pattern.

February 14 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kate's comment
Anita

Kate - regarding old, fun PP & new, serious PP - I totally agree -

February 14 2009 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane

Although I'm glad the show was willing to deal with what they call postpartum depression, it unfortunately did NOT do a good job of portraying it. Like most media outlets, ABC went to the extreme and showed a woman in postpartum pschyosis which only occurs in 1-2% of new moms each year verses postpartum depression which occurs in 10-20% of new moms. Very disappointing.

February 13 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

While I liked the Gray's ep, I was a bit bored by the PP one, as it was mostly aftermath. However, luckily, Archer & Naomi were allowed to speak in this one, contrasted with their silence in Grey's i.e. why was Addison the only one upset? And why wasn't she seated next to Naomi in the observatory? Why was everyone rushing to comfort Ad as opposed to Ar's GF?

However, watching the PP ep, I started to think, as Jay suggested they should "bring Sam, Addy, Coop and Violet to Grey's." I think Sam definitely blended and I'd love to see Naomi there, as well, albeit talking.

February 13 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

Love the crossover, but it's too long! Especially coming as the 2nd half of my already packed with Office/30 Rock/Survivor Thursdays!

February 13 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Ok so am i the only one who found the entire 2 hours boring? I wouldnt call them "action packed" at all, in any sense of the phrase. Before i get started...this is mostly about Grey's Anatomy and not PP as i do not watch that show. It just seemd more conveniant to comment here.

Let me say this, i loved the show back in the day/ Season 3 is where it started to slowdown and it's been trash ever since but i can't stop watchin it just becuz im invested in it. But anyways lets get to the episodes yeah?

The best, and honestly the only really good part of the 2 hours tonight was watching Derek and Co. all sing and get along like THEY were the young interns with and all of that. I loved seeing Sam and Addy on Grey's, in fact i think they should cancel PP and bring Sam, Addy, Coop and Violet to Grey's. If they are gonna keep forcing new characters on us every 3 or 4 episodes it might as well be some ppl we semi know and could actually care about.

Im so happy the Denny ghost thing is done(for now anyways) the episodes with that storyline were the worst the show has ever had and i think the show would suffer even more than it is now without Izzie and yes even George. Those 2 have been 2 pieces of the backbone of the show since day 1 so who cares how the actors are in real life, if they are both given decent story and screen time the show would be better off.

Sadie shoul have never even been on the show.

Callie...i actually like the fact that Callie is goin full lesbo. Its refreshing. Tho i was rooting for her and Sloan to be together.

Little Grey and Sloan...just not working for me. I had high hopes for a NEW Grey character when she came on the show, i hoped she would be nothing at all like that annoying slutty other Grey but guess what? Within 2 seasons She's already hooked up with the 2 sluttiest guys on the show AND was ready to hook up with the 3rd sluttiest doc at Seattle Grace, George. Whihc i was hoping for cuz they actually make a cute couple. Tho it is kinda funny seein Sloan all worked uop about her i just dont see them workin as a couple.

I hatede owen at first but now i like him and ive always hated Yang but becuz of owen im startin to like her, lol. Maybe one of the ony storylines that I actually semi care about right now, but they need to keep the complications to a minimum, the whole ex fiance showing up is just...lame and kinda redundant at this point.

Bailey is really gettin on my nerves, everyones complaining that Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight are a bunch of divas who whine about their storylines and so on but ya know what? The actress who portrays Bailey did the same thing cuz she wanted more dramatic storylines and now shes cryin and freaking out in just about every episode all becuz of a patient. When shes the first one to jump on anybody else when they get attached to a patient...go figure. More sloopy writing and character development.

Derek and Merideth...ok really, i couldnt care less about these 2 anymore. Merideth has got to be the most annoying main character ever created, yeah she's got issues but damn woman, give it a rest. it seems like Shonda and Co. are just at a dead end with these 2, the "spark" that they once brought to the show would be gone if they get married and if they break up AGAIN it would be a rehash of season 2, and then season 4 all over again. So what do they do? The have them fight over medical cases and patients and have her get mad cuz derek used to play guitar and sing and becuz hes SUCH a different person now as opposed to what...11 or 12 years ago? Who cares tho?

The show is a sinking ship and this crossover thingy was an utter disappointment, but hopefully next week will be better. It looks like it might be but Im not holding my breath.

February 13 2009 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jay's comment
mb

I agree with most of your points except for Chandra Wilson going to Katherine Heigl's/TR Knight's extremes. While I agree that Bailey's direction is headed in the wrong direction, Chandra Wilson's acting/behavior is nowhere close to being as ridiculous as Heigl (and to some degree, Knight).

Bailey is still the best character on the show, and somehow remains the sole grounding force among the superficial cast.

Oh, I disagree 100% with your amusement of any character singing on this show (or any show). The show couldn't get more ridiculous or sappy than when the PP cast started singing in the bar. Even Mark was singing? WTF?

For what it's worth, PP is a sappy show that forces each of its emasculated male characters to be subservient to the female characters. If this is what Shonda Rhimes thinks viewers expect to see, ABC should cancel her shows now. I can already see this slowly happening with the male characters on GA.

You brought up excellent points, however. Great post.

February 13 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

i agree completely, grey's hasn't been good since the end of season two, and private practice was never good to begin with (awful dialogues, forced relationships, and how can those people work in the medical profession is beyond me.)
the cross-over stunt worked though, it made me watched both shows live last week and this week, but i had to shut off half way through PP because that depressed new mother's whine was making my head hurt.
i guess i'm still watching grey's just for nostalgic reasons, and i wanna know who's actually leaving the show.

February 13 2009 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

Archer will probably not stay on Private Practice that much longer, since he will probably do the melrose place remake. Isnt his character supposed to have a son that is part of the new cast?

I agree the show is much better this season, and this was pretty much just an extended greys. Nothing really happend with Violet/Pete/and them (personally I mean, not doing there jobs)

February 13 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly

The treatment that Derek was advocating for was not in-utero brain surgery; it was an in-utero blood transfusion that Addison had to perform herself. That is partially why Addison was so angry with Derek (and rightfully so..). He put her up to something that was very risky and she wasn't willing to put herself on the line based on the facts of the case. This is pretty critical because it shows how far Derek takes his "God-liness". He is making seemingly ridiculous promises not only about what he can do, but what his fellow doctors can do, too.

February 13 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I think this is just a poorly executed stunt to try to boost the ratings of both shows. Both of them will soon be off the air, and for good reason!

February 13 2009 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CDB's comment
Ned

ABC has already renewed the show for season 6. If you've got a show that's got over 15 million viewers a week, you hold on to it, now matter how much its gone down the drain.

February 16 2009 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I think this was one of the most successful crossover events in history. Not just one character involved, which really helped, and they genuinely combined the two shows for the entire episode. I'm very impressed.

I just have to tell you that the patients of the month - Jen and her husband...ick. I find them very annoying and cannot find sympathy for their plight. Kind of ruins that portion of the show for me. A big deal was made of them as guest stars, but the story is just not working for me.

February 13 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

It was interesting how they wrote Derek in these episodes. Ke kept saying Archer was a conceited ass but Derek was giving Archer a run for his money in that department. Is this the real Derek? I mean what's the reason for this major mood swing? It kind of makes you see why Addison chose to have an affair if this is how Derek was in their marriage.

February 13 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I think Derek may have been acting out more than usual because of the stress caused by the surgery on his dying ex-brother-in-law mixed with the stress of proposing to Meredith, which he would have had if it weren't for Addison calling for help.

February 13 2009 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply