November 22, 2014

Rescue Me gets a premiere, a renewal, and a comedy tour

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 13th 2009 12:09PM

Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin in FX's 'Rescue Me.'Rescue Me fans have been waiting far too long for this news. It was announced yesterday that the FX trademark drama will finally begin airing its 22-episode fifth season on Tuesday, April 7th at 10PM ET. And yes, the season will air uninterrupted, with the finale scheduled to air on September 8th.

Season four, which finished back in September 2007, received some of the drama's poorest critical reviews of the series to date. Season five, which has been delayed by over a year because of the WGA Strike, promises to be much better.

FX President John Landgraf said that, "...the quality of episodes...are some of the best they've ever produced," and when I spoke with Denis Leary by phone last June, he said the opening six episodes of the new season was some of the best stuff they'd written yet.

Excited? I sure as hell am. Keep reading though because the news gets even better.

Confidences of that quality must be running high because FX also announced a season six renewal for eighteen episodes. It should be noted that seasons five and six are changing the storytelling blueprint set with seasons one through four, which were only 13 episodes each. These are broadcast network length renewals on ad-supported cable and personally, I can't think of a better show to start breaking the mold.

In addition to all that, to drum up publicity for the new season and to raise money for The Leary Firefighters Foundation, Leary, Lenny Clarke (Uncle Teddy), and Adam Ferrara (Needles) will embark on an 11 city stand-up tour. It's the first time Leary has been on tour in almost 12 years and if you're like me, then you've worn the hell outta your No Cure For Cancer album too. Translation? I don't think you want to miss this. Here's the tour info:

The Rescue Me Comedy Tour

mike

Just an FYI.....You can purchase the FDNY Job Shirts worn in the new ads at: www.FDNYfirezone.org

Proceeds benefit the FDNY Foundation

April 27 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

I can't wait. I knew it was coming in April but didn't know the exact date. I'm thrilled knowing it already has a new season even before this monster of a season starts. BTW I counted 22 episodes taking them to 9/1? Am I off or is there a week break in there somewhere?

Also does anyone know if F/x will have any other show on this summer besides Rescue Me? I think Sons of Anarchy comes back in September.

February 13 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to tony's comment
Jonathan Toomey

Tony-

You're right. According to the press release TV Squad received, the season is spread out over 23 weeks. So the season has one week off. Not sure why though as I don't see any major holidays falling on a Tuesday during that timespan. FX must have something unannounced planned?

February 13 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

They may be presuming that much of the target audience will be watching the MLB all-star game on July 14, e. g.

February 13 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

I love this show and would really like to go see the stand up act. However, the tickets are not cheap. $56 just to sit in the last 2 rows. And they only go up from there. I just can't justify that.

I really hope season 5 is as good as they say it will be. That whole baby storyline just sucked.....

February 13 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

At least some of that delay is due to the strike. But yeah, a long time. I am a true devotee who felt particularly burned by season 4. The entire baby plot line... the chief transferring to a desk job, and suddenly acquiring the hacker skills to make Tommy's internal affairs investigation disappear...on and on. I would love to hear Denis' thoughts on why it blew so bad, seeing as season 5 is going to knock our socks off.

February 13 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Wow, that is like a Sopranos level hiatus. Hopefully the time off was put to good use.

February 13 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply