December 21, 2014

30 Rock update: Fey says it wasn't product placement (and that's not her on Twitter)

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 14th 2009 9:03AM
Tina FeyYesterday, we asked you what you thought of the McDonald's product placement on 30 Rock in Thursday's episode. Last night, we found out that it wasn't product placement at all.

Tina Fey herself released a statement explaining all of the McDonald's talk in the episode (and reveals that the Tina Fey on Twitter isn't her):

"It gives me great pleasure to inform you that the references to McDonald's in last night's episode of 30 Rock were in no way product placement. (Nor were they an attempt at product placement that fell through.) We received no money from the McDonald's Corporation. We were actually a little worried they might sue us. That's just the kind of revenue-generating masterminds we are.

"Also, the upcoming storyline where Liz Lemon starts dating Grimace is just based on a recurring dream I have. Seriously, though, it's not product placement."

I have to say this makes me happy. I mean, I wasn't really bothered with it in the first place, but it's good she came out and explained it, and in her usual humorous way. It's too bad that the Fey on Twitter isn't the real thing, but I guessed that a long time ago. Tina, you really need to get on Twitter.

airtoast

Come on now, play along with nice with NBC and just accept the spin. 30 Rock did not have product placement. Just like the Today show did not pay for the interview with Nadya Suleman... or Drew Peterson.

February 17 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

WHO CARES, really who cares if they got paid for it. It was funny. It was funny. Sometimes I swear people love to take the funny out of everything.

February 15 2009 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michale

I agree its hilarious the reaction. I always thought the point of when they include these segments on 30 Rock was a joke, and it is hilarious. The never ending product placement is just as much a fear for tv writers as it is its viewers. Personally if I was going to do a joke like that I'd still want to get paid for it. The truth is it does not change anything whether they were paid for it or not.

Well it might effect your view of their artistic integrity, but if that's so your just a moron.

Also to the crazy guy claiming they're all going to get rich off a stock bump. LOL TO YOU. One 30 second spot on a tv show like that would hardly make a difference. Secondly who in America doesn't know McDonald's?

Now if it was some obscure company that hardly any one had heard of then your complaints might have merit, and the bit wouldn't have worked. That is it only works with a parody of a large international company like McDonald's or with the actual company.

February 15 2009 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kell

Wow! I am really surprised at how passionately people feel about a) whether this was product placement and b) whether Tina Fey was lying. I don't live in America, so I haven't seen this episode yet and can't comment on it. But to be honest, I don't have any reason to doubt Tina Fey (and tend to side with her criticism of on-line critics), and I remember in an earlier episode she made quite a funny joke about 'product placement'. Maybe McDonald's was mentioned quite a bit, I dont know. But if Tina Fey is saying 'it wasn't paid product placement' then that is good enough for me. I guess I am lucky not to live in a scarred and cynical country as America - but I guess that's also why a lot of the self-deprecating humour works.

February 15 2009 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

No product placement at all

(this message brought to you by Verizon Wireless - please don't sue, send me my free phone to the following PO box...)

February 14 2009 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

How is this really any different than the Arby's thing when Isabella Rossalini guest starred? Talking about Beef and Cheddar? Seems about the same to me. Didn't hear any uproar about that.

February 14 2009 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

You know, I was just watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and ended up watching the episode where Shake pimps out Boost Mobile. It is so obviously satire there, and I think it is the same for this episode of 30 Rock. They were making fun of product placement and McDonalds, they weren't doing it to really gain anything, but it was meant more as a satire...not all praise McDonalds. Colbert does it occasionally too.

February 14 2009 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gill

Hey look at that, the difference between intentional and unintentional had absolutely no effect on the story itself now that the facts our out.

It's almost like this was a stupidly contrarian reason to feign anger at an entertainment program.

February 14 2009 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evil Pedro

NBC needs to make money just like every other struggling business at this time. Why in the world is it a shock? Since when is there morals and standards when it comes to a tv comedy? This isnt exactly PBS here.

------------------

February 14 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evocatus

What Tina Fey did is no different than what you guys do when you recommend a good book/movie/tv show to a friend. It is that simple, Tina Fey and crew just really love McFlurries and wanted the world to know

February 14 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply