November 23, 2014

Ratings woes for Fox's Friday night

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 15th 2009 9:46AM
Terminator: The Sarah Connor ChroniclesThe verdict is in, and it looks like both Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse did pretty poorly in the ratings.

Did anybody expect otherwise? Given the timeslot and the relative lack of publicity (no matter how cool the trailers actually are), the shows still did pretty well. Hopefully the additional views from DVRs that are watched during the week will increase the ratings enough so Fox doesn't cancel within three episodes.

I can only hope that Joss Whedon's statements about Fox are true and they were expecting low initial ratings for the series and that they hope to make up for it in DVD sales and increased ratings over time. If this sort of programming succeeds over time, then folks like me will have a legitimate excuse to stay in on Friday nights.

Let us not forget that success stories such as The X-Files started on Fox on Friday nights. I'm not giving up hope yet.

JAC

Dollhouse improved the numbers of its lead in (Conner Cron.) and beat FNL and Flashpoint. FYI

February 16 2009 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lady Olivier

I thought it was bad news when they re-shot the pilot, that is never good news, so I took it as a red flag to skip this programme. I think I would have been more apt to watch it too if they had shown that maybe there are problems with mind-wiping like such as eventual total mental breakdown and how long can you last? How long could you take it with the clock ticking on your mental time bomb just to live in luxury- Is there a price for greed on both sides? But what they targeted is the sex factor- Hot Chick gets Amnesia when You Want Her to after she does what You Pay her to do-

But what i really think what is going to bring down the show is it's placement on Friday night. It's demographic of young men aren't sitting at home watching tv , hopefully they are out meeting real girls. Meanwhile Who is home? People like me in their jammies watching Flashpoint because I have no life. Monday wouldn't work because CBS wins that night, put it on Wednesday CBS stinks that night and everyone will be looking for some action to get them through the hump day blues.

February 16 2009 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Gill:

You sure can... just have to know where to look. You can find them all on craigslist. You can buy K&R (kidnap and ransom) insurance and there are private specialists who deal with such situations. The show concedes they used the knowledge/personality of such a (real) person to program Echo's mind.

The way I see it, the "Dollhouse" offers nothing that craigslist does not, except much higher fees and unnecessary mind-wiping.

If the "dolls" had superhuman abilities, for whatever reason, then there would be some point, albeit a stupid one, to the show. As it stands, the show is about programming people's minds for no good reason at all. I was very disappointed, especially after all the hype over Dollhouse.

February 16 2009 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I thought Dollhouse really sucked. I knew about it, I watched it, I also TiVo'd it. And I thought it was pointless and stupid. I don't even see the point of the show - the "actives" don't have any special superhuman abilities. They just think they're someone other than themselves, and they have special training/knowledge. But they also cost a lot more than hiring a regular person with such training/knowledge. They even give the actives the same flaws as the real people who form the basis of their programming (e.g. nearsighed, asthma). Why would anyone not just pick up the phonebook and hire a regular professional for the job they need? Why call the dollhoue to have "echo" programmed as a plumber to fix my sink when I can just call a regular plumber? Forget that Eliza Dushku is hot, that's not enough to justify the plot.

They tried to explain this in the show, but they couldn't. It made no sense. And the pilot was all over the place, it was just ... bad. I'll watch two or three more episodes to see if there's a massive turnaround, but that's it - the show is horrible at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

I love Terminator:TSCC, though, and I don't want Dollhouse's failure to bring down Terminator in the little minds of the FOX execs who hold the big red "CANCELLED" stamp. I should get realistic - we're lucky Terminator: TSCC was given a second season, and anything after the 9 episode-long season one is gravy. Why can't they give a good show a good chance at finding an audience? The writers strike screwed season 1 (not just for TSCC, but for all shows with shortened opening seasons), and now Fox is sabotaging season two. Damn them - I really like TSCC.... one of my favorite shows.

I was hoping Dollhouse would give me another good sci-fi show, but it's clear that ain't gonna happen.

Bring back Dark Angel or something. It's not like Jessica Alba is doing anything productive...

February 16 2009 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Gill

You can't look up prostitutes or kidnap negotiators in the phonebook.

February 16 2009 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Dollhouse was really really really really really bad.

February 16 2009 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Im not a Nealson household so Im not watching till the reviews come in that say its better than okay, it survives its 1st season, and it moves from friday.

February 16 2009 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Friday is one of my (DVR's) busiest nights next to monday. I had FNL, BSG, Psych, Numbers and Clone wars and now add dollhouse and terminator. I have watched all but Psych and Numbers so far..i hope my cable companys dvr forwarded my watching them.

February 15 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I was really surprised at the in-episode promotions of both Sarah Connor and Dollhouse. I personally felt kind of offended about how they tried to "sex" up the viewers of the shows.

I had to laugh out loud because my wife was watching with me, and she did not like it... I had to add some humor.

I really thought it was a bad idea. I think it's going to turn off female viewership, which sure might be okay for Sarah, but not for Dollhouse. Whedon has always had a big female audience with his shows and he's going to need them if it's going to stay on the air.

February 15 2009 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

FOX' press release says DOLLHOUSE delivered "FOX's highest rated Friday series premiere in over four years (since 1/14/05, Jonny Zero) among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34."

Both shows won their time period in male viewers.

February 15 2009 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gill

The simple fact is that relative to weeknights, Friday night will never have a huge successful show again. DVR's and Internet viewings have made appointment television a thing of the past. A huge portion of people that might have stayed in to watch a 'hit' show live on a Friday night a decade ago no longer has to make the decision to sacrifice a piece of their weekend.

Networks can either wrap their heads around this simple concept and start settling for good shows with a solid and steady viewer ship or they can keep sticking their heads in the sand and throwing away development dollars year after year. The funny thing is if they actually managed to find a truly great 'hit' on a Friday night the first thing they would do is move it to another night.

February 15 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply