August 22, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Alec Baldwin/The Jonas Brothers - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 15th 2009 2:29PM
Jonas Brothers
(S34E16) It was pretty obvious there was going to be at least two sketches with the Jonas Brothers. I called it! I mean, no one apart from the people in my apartment know I called it, but that doesn't change the facts or my sad sense of accomplishment. I had to tune out once they started singing (sorry, 15 year-old girls), but their skits were all right. Alec Baldwin did a fine job of hosting as well, though there weren't any particularly striking sketches. I suppose after doing something like "Schwetty Balls", just about everything else will pale in comparison.

Cold Open (Republican Meeting): This had a few good moments, but ran on way too long. And it was good to see Dan Aykroyd, though I don't really understand what he was doing there, especially without some Crystal Head Vodka.

Monologue: First of all, bless Alec Baldwin's heart for that Christian Bale line. Jack McBrayer! That chinless wonder, he makes me happy in so many ways. For those of you that haven't seen 30 Rock before, I highly recommend it. It made me reverse my super-hate for Tina Fey from her SNL days and the first two seasons were consistently amazing. The third season has been a little hit-or-miss, but it's sitll very funny. All right, getting off track... Alec Baldwin and Jack McBrayer are amazing, and "Always be closing, please!" didn't get quite as many laughs as it deserved.

"Fourth Jonas": This idea was pretty funny, though some of the execution was a little iffy. Good stuff with the Sharpie eyebrows line and the bit bout purity rings, I'll admit.

"Cougar Den": Ah, I've had enough of the cougars. And Cameron Diaz was fun the first time, but I'm kind of sick of her too. Cameron, don't you have... things to do? I did like how Casey Wilson casually mentioned "25 Random Things About Me", showing that there's at least one person on SNL who uses Facebook. Also, Alec Baldwin's little sexy-dance was pretty adorable.

Digital Short ("Property of the Queen"): Very smart move featuring the insanely popular Jonas Brothers in one of the already popular Digital Shorts. I mean, Eyebrows Jonas in a busted mesh tank top? At least five middle schools in this country instantly became all male 'cause all the girls ran away to be groupies. So, I'm obviously not a fan of the Brothers, but they did a pretty good job and the 80s hair band cliches were pretty spectacular, I won't lie (please see: Patton Oswalt's routine on 80s bands that could change the physical properties of things with the power of their rocking).

Weekend Update: An extremely unremarkable Update this week. Maybe it was remarkable for how unremarkable it was. Oscar Rogers's excitement wasn't even enough to make this notable.

"Sir Mix-A-Lot Photo Shop": I suppose "Baby Got Back" is eternally relevant. I wasn't expecting to laugh at this, but there were a few good moments, including Sniffles and Bobby Moynihan's brief, over-excited man-shimmy at the end.

"Wii Guys": This sketch should have happened a few years ago, but it was still a little chuckle-worthy, mainly because awkward Wii-mote shaking will never stop being funny in real life.

"Hold My Calls": Funniest part of this sketch was Will Forte's weird Rob Corddry-esque tuft of hair (I love you, Rob Corddry). This has been a pretty popular style of sketch for the past few years, just an endless list of horrible things with only the slightest semblance of a link, this being "Carol, hold my calls!" I wonder which writer(s) is responsible for this one.

And where in the heck is that Vincent Price sketch? Not enough Bill Hader in my life.

Gatorduk

Where the crap is the Vincent Price Valentine's day special? That was the best part of the show? Why can it not be found?

February 22 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The liberal-ness of the show is more troubling now than it was during the presidential campaign.

There are a lot of very smart people who think that "doing nothing" -- which got laughs from SNL's audience during the cold open -- is better for the economy than Obama's "stimulus" (read: payback) package:

February 16 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
airtoast

This show is now so far off the rails with its forceful, far-left liberal ideologies that it is really shocking! Remember when SNL used to actually poke fun at liberals like Clinton and Carter in addition to their weekly lambasting of conservatives? Barack wasn't even on this SNL despite Fred Armisen being present. The opening sketch was a grasping-at-straws attempt to vililfy the Republicans? Hmmm... why not have a sketch about the Democrats coming up with the biggest spending bill in the history of mankind?!! Or one about Barack's veritable legion of disgraced cabinet appointments?

Lorne Michaels to SNL Writers:
"Nah, why don't we just open the show with a sketch about how stupid Republicans are for not going along with an unprecedented 1000+ page spending bill (complete with handwritten additions) that none of the representatives who voted on it were even permitted to read? And throw in some ill-informed claptrap about that loudmouth Sean Hannity so we can get in a dig at him, too."

February 17 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ericcmack

The Cougar Den sketch even got the Canadians all riled up:

February 16 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Goebel

I'd be curious to know what sketches got cut, because the last two Wigg clips were repeats from previous shows.

February 16 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

I think the Sir Mix-a-Lot sketch was pretty well put together, and was really funny, If only Keenan did a little better in his excecution He wasn't bad, it just felt a little off. The jokes in it made it well worth it though.

And the Fourth Jonas sketch would probably have been funnier if the purity ring was applicable to the oldest Jonas, some type of 50 year old virgin joke...

February 16 2009 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

What the hell happened at the end? Two old shorts and then a verrrry long SNL title card before the "Good night, everybody" wrap-up. It seems like they just had to dump the last 10-15 min. of the show at the last second for some reason. Did someone twist an ankle?

February 15 2009 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

The show was alright, the highlight once again being the digital Short.

On a separate note, what about her presence on SNL warranted your "super-hate" for Tina prior to 30 Rock?

February 15 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Katie's comment
Annie W.

Her whole "Weekend Update" persona grated on me for years. Or maybe that's the way she really is; I'm not sure. Liz Lemon, on the other hand, is amazing.

February 15 2009 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChrisG

Wow! Just, wow!

Not only are those SNL writers extremely bad, but now, it seems, they have also become lazy...
IN A WHOLE WEEK they apparently weren't able to write enough sketches for a 90min show (including commercials & two appearances by a musical guest), so they had to rerun two skits from earlier episodes... AND they still had enough time to run the FULL credits!

They should yank the show for a year or so & try to use the time off to revamp it with new writers and new talent... The result of that revamp can't be worse than what is currently broadcast every week.

February 15 2009 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ChrisG's comment
ChrisG

Aargh, sorry...
English isn't my first language, it's late & I had a few glasses of red wine... :-)

February 15 2009 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
b4real23

I beg to differ, and so does this guy:

February 15 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evil Pedro

So you watched SNL on Valentines night? Oh and not a single one of those clips was funny. Its like watching MADtv or Ellen.

------------------

February 15 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Evil Pedro's comment
rTwelve

The person above me is incorrect. I thought this was the best in a while, even with the horsen/pampers repeats (WTF?)

February 15 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply