November 26, 2014

The Simpsons gets a new opening ... and it doesn't totally suck - VIDEO

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 15th 2009 9:06AM
One of television's most beloved and historic television shows is undergoing a major change tonight.

Oh and it's also going to be in high definition too.

Tonight's episode of The Simpsons will update their iconic opening sequence for the second time in its 20-year history.

The Simpsons' main opening is one of the most perfect for just about any show of its caliber. It not only introduces the viewer to all of the characters, but it sets up their foibles, flaws and character traits better than any show could with an even bigger budget. It's immediately recognizable and iconic. Changing it would be like putting a trucker hat on the Mona Lisa.

But now that the new sequence has hit the web before the show hits the airwaves, my lack of exercise and general nutrition will be the only thing that keeps me from sleeping tonight. It doesn't mess with the opening that we've come to know and love over these last few decades. It builds on them. It adds new jokes in places you didn't realize jokes could go and gives some of the series' second and third tier characters a place to set themselves up before each episode. It's like they have used Ron Popeil's solid flavor injector to beef up their opening, instead of changing it altogether.

The only complaint is that they took out Homer's loud girly scream when Marge almost runs him over in the driveway. I've been watching the show since it came on the air and even now as a mature adult with taste, style and sophistication, I still laugh like a frat boy watching Steve-O do a butt chug when Homer utters that high pitched "Ahhhh!" as he runs through the garage. It's become so comforting and familiar that I'm not sure I'll enjoy an episode as much without it. It's audible heroin.

Watch more YouTube videos on AOL Video

Benjh

Maybe Homer not screaming is part of today's couch joke. Maybe the scream will be back next week, who know?
As for everything, I like it. If you don't, go back to drinking Coors Light.

February 15 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

Feels cheesy, cheap and unfocused.
Much like the show has since Season 8.

It's not that I don't like change, it's that the change in the show has been bad and I think the change in the opening reflects it. Not cheap, as in cheap production values, but cheap as in cheap gags.

February 15 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcin

Finally, they did something about the TV. For the last couple of years I wanted to make it more modern. However, I agree with you Danny about Homer not screaming at the end. That is a well known moment of the series.

February 15 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adolph

This is Epic Win. :-)

February 15 2009 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bbrown

I like it aside from the whole Homer not screaming thing and that it felt just a bit too long. I loved the amount of detail they went into like being able to see a picture of Homer as an astronaut when Bart is writing on the chalkboard or a portrait of Bleeding Gums Murphy when the kids are all playing their instruments. I also liked that they really just modified the original opening and it is still entact, it has just been updated.

February 15 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

It doesn't have any soul, just like the movie. It feels cold and sanitised. Not that I really watch the show anymore, I catch the odd episode and am always disappointed and saddened that the show is now so average.

February 15 2009 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Thomas's comment
KIrsch

They should've had the tv connect via HDMI instead of Composite

February 15 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Be sure to watch the high quality version on YouTube. You can really see the detail.

February 15 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply