April 19, 2014

Heroes: Building 26

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 17th 2009 2:21PM
Heroes: Building 26(S03E16) Spoiler Warning! The scene to the right happens in this episode. But don't worry, it doesn't really accomplish much ... for Tracy. It looks like the Justice League is forming under the tutelage of "Rebel." But who is he? We've got another Heroes mystery on our hand. You know, like the mystery of whether or not HRG is a good guy or a bad guy (that one will be addressed next week) and the mystery of who Sylar's father is. And if Claire will whine and bitch this week. Okay that last one isn't much of a mystery.

We went in three major directions tonight with the plot, skipping one group of "heroes" altogether, and surprisingly not missing them. First we had more drama in the Bennett household, complete with Claire rebelling against her father. It's nice to see that fifty episodes into the series, Claire's character has really grown and evolved into a mature young woman. The same goes for Hiro, who's gone from being an immature man-child with delusions of grandeur to an immature man-child with delusions of grandeur. Hmmm, doesn't sound as impressive when you put it like that.

Claire learned that Aqualad is working at a comic book store, though he's apparently going to have to quit that job. Hopefully he doesn't own the place. Now he lives in her closet. I've always wanted to have the junior version of the lamest Justice League member in my closet. He's totally ready if a massive flood sweeps through the neighborhood and submerges the Bennett household up through the second floor. Then he can save her. Until then she'll have to keep him fed and take out his litter box regularly or mom will get suspicious.

It was "Rebel" that tipped her off to Aqualad's impending danger at yonder comic shop. But who is it? Someone who knows the inner workings of Nathan's gestapo. My money's on HRG himself. Though tipping Claire off and then yelling at her later makes him a little flip-floppy. Or maybe he's just maintaining his cover. They are all under surveillance. I wonder if that means the Hunter knows HRG has been abducted by the Goober Gang (Matt, Peter and Suresh).

Sylar and his protege continued their quest across the country to meet Sylar's father. But other than another failed attempt to apprehend the serial killer that trek is looking pretty boring. Telling was Sylar going back and rescuing the boy, though he did so for other reasons. As Junior said, though, he could have just as easily left him there.

Our other plot was Hiro and Ando in India stopping a wedding. Why this was important wasn't mentioned tonight, but I'm sure it is. Maybe the bride-to-be has a power. We got Hiro acting incredibly jealous of Ando because Ando got to be the hero at first. Even though the objective was accomplished, Baby Hiro couldn't stand it, pouting until Ando was abducted. Nice to see that he, like Claire, has matured through all these astonishing experiences they've had.

It's time now to start building the underground railroad to Canada. Aqualad can't keep living at the Bennett household, but where in the USA is going to be safe. Especially now that Tracy was kind enough to kill a man in front of the Department of Homeland Security Party-Pooper so that Nathan could get his funding. If she thought that was going to get her preferential treatment from Nathan, she has to know better than that. Nathan's a dick.

He could have proven that people with powers exist to the Pooper much simpler than costing a man his life by just flying. Or hovering a bit. But then that would have exposed him as a hypocrite. Which he is. And a dick. Good guy, that Nathan. At least he has Claire off-limits. Maybe Nathan is "Rebel." That would make him crazy, too.

Who's story are you more interested in?
Nathan and Tracy26 (4.0%)
Claire25 (3.9%)
Peter, Matt and Mohinder228 (35.1%)
Hiro and Ando37 (5.7%)
Sylar333 (51.3%)

kip

I know it's been a week and a half and I'm not sure if you'll even see this comment, but I had to correct you about one thing. You seem to imply that *Nathan* was the one behind Tracy getting out and freezing the guy so that he could get his funding back. But it was made pretty clear in the episode that it was the hunter guy (sorry, don't remember his name) who let her out, because he could see that Nathan wasn't succeeding in winning over the DHS lady.

February 27 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ditroia

Rebel is hana gitelman.

Dave

February 18 2009 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ditroia's comment
kate

I was thinking the same thing!

February 19 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

Sylar's protege = his father. Mark my words.

February 18 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Logan's comment
Martin

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing every time I see the two of them together. Luke... You are Sylar's Father!!

February 18 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I don't get it, I have been digging the episodes in the villains chapter, I just don't see what everyone's problem with it is.

February 18 2009 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric H's comment
Matt

Primarily, I would say poor character development (or sudden character development that comes out of nowhere) and an overall plot that meanders and doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense.

February 18 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Devin

(I posted this in the other Heroes topic but meant to put it here)

I have seen the question of who is 'Rebel' posted on a couple sites and i haven't seen anyone chime in with any guesses, is that just because it seems pretty obvious that it is Angela?

She told Nathan off for going against her and taking it to the president and she had the files sitting there with her, including one on Nathan's hunter buddy. It just seems real likely/obvious that she would be trying to help the other people with powers especially the ones she considers friends and her granddaughter (Claire). Just my two cents.

February 18 2009 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Rebel is hopefully Micah (all the communications have come from some electronic device so far right?), but seeing how the writers have been going with this season and the last, it is probably gonna be some sucky version of Future Hiro and is gonna suck majorly!! Or perhaps a talking dog! Wouldn't put it past the writers anymore! And then REBEL can start communicating with the heroes using LOLCats...
Even making it Angela is gonna be kinda lame since she already kinda played that part in the last chapter and botched that one up!.
As for Claude, GOD I WISH THEY WOULD BRING HIM BACK!!! Not as REBEL, that would really make little sense and be kinda pointless.

February 18 2009 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I was not a fan of this episode at all the only thing that saved it was Sylar and his cool little side kick. Plus Sylar in the whole military gear was really sweet and I was so wishing He would just go kill more people just because he can.

I do think the Hunter has to have a power and I could see him as a Joker kind of guy just wanting to kill people because He can.

Now I want to know why ever one needs to be in the show Peter, Parkman, and Mohinder almost were not in this episode at all. Let some people be in one episode and other people in the next not every one needs to be in the same episode.

Clarie needs to wake up and become the cool Clarie with a gun. Then may be she will not be such a little kid.

Hiro needs to become Future Hiro.

I love Heroes it is one of the shows I look forward to each week but the way the writing on this show is just bad.

So if it was not for freakishly cool Sylar this episode would have been a total disaster.

Heroes needs to become a better show and soon because I could see a lot of people leave. Even more so then how many have left now and seeing as I know Heroes could be a great show but the people making Heroes do not want it to be sucks.

Side note Sylar could get his own show Villains or have a lot of new people added to that show and that would be cool. Because Zack (Sylar) looked pretty scary in the military gear and you knew you would be in trouble if you ran into him.

I also think that would save money on people because if you only have to pay one main actor and new stand ins each week to try and kill him be it them selves or with tanks. You would need no one else other then him on the show.

Again I so want to see Heroes do well but with the way Heroes is going right now you can't help but wonder how much longer people can wait for the show to get better.

February 17 2009 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

im was thinking it was a girl but then thought it was micah. but im now thinking it is someone we dont know a can see where everyone is like with ceribrial in xmen, and/or tell the furture.

February 17 2009 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ricky19's comment
Derek

What about Molly? She knows where everyone is...haven't seen her for awhile.

February 17 2009 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

The best line of the night?

"OK, so technically I'm a serial killer." I love bad Sylar, but I'm still hoping he turns good in the end.

February 17 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csb1227

So, we've traded Daphne for Alex? Not a fair trade in my opinion. Daphne would have fit in well with Pete, Matt, & Mohinder.

February 17 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply