October 24, 2014

Life on Mars: Home Is Where You Hang Your Holster

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 18th 2009 11:55PM
Life on Mars: Home is Where You Hang Your Holster
(S01E11)
It's been a while since Sam had his visions. I missed them. However, I think tonight's episode overdid it a little with the Wizard of Oz references. Sam is over the rainbow. We got it. We just don't know why.

I'm glad the creators wrapped up the Maria storyline as quickly as they did. They could only milk her daddy issues for so long, and Sam and Gene have way too much for a bromance going on of their own to let a little thing like sleeping with the boss' daughter interfere.

The profile freezes in the beginning were cute, but were they necessary? Which 70's cop show were they trying to emulate?

The introduction of Bobby Prince as another time-traveler in Sam's predicament brought some interesting observations with it. Assuming he's not insane, then he's from Sam's future but has obviously been in the past for a longer "time" than Sam. Was Prince involved with the Aries Project? Who was he in the future? Why did he come up with the exact same set of chalkboard reasons as Sam? Are they sharing the same dream? The only thing we can conclude is that Sam is not the only person this phenomenon has happened to. If it does work out that the future forward in time one comes from, the further back he or she goes then it's probable that Sam will run into others in future episodes.

Gene also said something of importance. He said Sam was there because Sam wanted to be there. This was true in the original British series and is likely true now. We simply don't know the context and likely won't until near the series' end (whenever that is).

Knowing the way the economy goes from 2008 to 2009, I wouldn't agree Prince's description of a "hopeful" future. I think it was the writers' way of describing the Obama inauguration (and using actual footage from it to drive home the point). It's nice that Sam can keep up with current events that way.

The methodologies Gene was using to question the murder suspects reminded me of the original version of the show for a minute. Things like having lawyers present just didn't seem to happen then.

Perhaps it's just me, but I thought the Chinese delivery guy overdid the stereotype just a little.

Ray's best line for the episode, when asked what was so terrible about a liberated women: "Nothing, as long as there's a fence around them." I like that Annie's character is getting fleshed out more. She even told a joke. It wouldn't surprise me if we learned later that Ray beats his wife. She just seemed a little too demure. Or maybe it's just the era.

The man handling Prince's delivery was holding a rabbit-tipped cane. It seemed an odd thing to have. I wonder if there's a significance to that.

I'd rate tonight's episode as good, but not great. I liked that the Maria storyline was wrapped up and enjoyed the mystery of Bobby Prince, but the rest of the episode seemed standard and lackluster. I love sci-fi, so I feel the drama would be improved if the creators concentrated more on the puzzle behind Sam's predicament rather than the standard cop story of the week. Given the popularity of shows such as CSI, I may be in the minority on this one.

juan.herrera10

I thought this episode was a really good episode. I think more than one of the main characters might have also come from the future or be in the same predicament as Sam. I suspect Gene when he said "Sam was there because Sam wanted to be there". Chris definately strikes me as a strong possiblity. If you noticed the kept flashing the camera every so often to him. He seems to be the naive inexperienced cop, but don't let that fool you. Finally, Annie she seems to be way ahead of her time. Her crush on Sam. How are they going to wrap this up at the end? Stay tuned!

February 21 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

What I liked about the British series I like also about this show. What I didn't like about the British series, I don't like about with this show. I dropped watching the British series, so I only know about how it ended up from reading a few of the series recaps floating around. I probably won't drop this show because I'm enjoying the acting of all the main players.

Yes, the show is inconsistent, and has a few things that end up being rough edges that tick people off. The playing coy about whether he's really in the past or just in a coma is where I really dislike this concept. But playing it as a straight 70s era cop show would bore me. So we have to have a mythology of the origin continue. Okay, got it. Thing is, I much more liked the Journeyman backstory than this show's. With this show, and with the British version, I just didn't care if there was a REASON for our "spaceman", and so there's a good chunk of the mythology that turns me (and everyone else) off.

I'd much rather have an ongoing dramatic arc that's based on events then... If our other "spaceman" we saw tonight was rich and evil, I could see the "hook" there.

I mean, comeon, if I was sent back in time, I would know enough to become one hella bad guy.

February 19 2009 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul in NJ

"The man handling Prince's delivery was holding a rabbit-tipped cane."

A *white* rabbit, in fact. So, yeah, an Alice in Wonderland reference.

I haven't seen the original British show, so I don't know what's original and what's contrived -- but now it seems there is a puppet master controlling not just Sam, but others as well. And the Powers That Be communicate directly with him? Meh.

I'll stick with it - even though I hate ABC for canning Eli Stone *and* Pushing Daisies - but lordy, don't let it morph into The Prisoner.

February 19 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul in NJ's comment
Toymao

I've seen the original LoM and its spinoff, and I can tell you - without any spoilers - the LoM US departed from the UK's storyline a couple of episodes ago (before that, it was more or less the remakes of the UK version's episodes), and since then I'm enjoying the US version more and more.

February 22 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

rabbit tipped cane - maybe a reference to Alice in Wonderland - following the rabbit down the rabbit hole?

eh i dunno

I loved this episode though. I really like the mythology part. The standalone "cop drama" stuff is excellent too, dont get me wrong, but the mythology is what's driving the show.

February 19 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Wow -- and people complain about the network dropping shows so quickly. And here in these comments are people that are bored and deleting the show from TiVO.

I love this show. I would like the clues to move forward a little, but I'm ok if none of it every makes sense. The characters are interesting even if they are a bit characature. It has a different look and a different feel and it stands alone as a cop show (with lots of funny bits).

February 19 2009 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AntonioSaucedo

Awesone episode.

February 19 2009 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

I also deleted my tivo episodes. I was hoping after the ending of the first part of this season that things would be moving along and it would all start to make sense but it's not and i'm bored. Sorry Life On Mars. You could have been a good show.

February 19 2009 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

This show was losing me but I was hanging on to see if they would develop an interesting mythology. But this episode was the one that made me delete the series from my Tivo. The whole thing is just too inconsistent. One second he's seeing little robots coming out of people's eyes and then the next he's running into other people from the future (who reveal their from the future in the most contrived way imaginable)

The clues just don't seem to lead anywhere consistent and I'm tired of waiting for something to come together.

Oh, and the Obama speech was just out of this world inappropriate. I wasn't a McCain fan and though I don't seem to agree with the President on a lot I'm willing to give him a shot. I'm certainly not anti-Obama. But Geez.

I mean, if you are the biggest Obama fan in the world let me ask you a question. If some right-wing TV writer put in a whole monologue about how "we're safer from crime in the future because we have a President [Bush] who takes it seriously" wouldn't you be annoyed at best and offended at worst?

As I said, I was fairly indifferent this election cycle but every time a TV writer injects politics into a show it turns me off

February 19 2009 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Life on Mars is doomed. I know this because ABC has canceled every show I enjoy on their network. No more "Boston Legal, "Men in Trees" "Dirty Sexy Money" and just about every sitcom they have launched in the past five years (with the exception of Cavemen, that one needed to die). I hope whoever killed off "Pushing Daisies" without a proper finale has trouble sleeping at night.

But good news "Wipeout" fans, I can't stand that low budget crap show...and you guessed it, it's been renewed.

February 19 2009 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

So the murderer of the councilman was a (dirty) cop in his district whom the councilman was going to turn in, yet none of the cops recognized him? I've been given the impression that all the cops from all the other nearby precincts know each other. Or at least would recognize each other as a cop, maybe not on a first-name basis.

I knew the "i'm from out of town" guy did it as soon as they showed him, but that he turned out to be another local NYC cop, yet nobody recognized him, seemed unbelievable to me.

February 19 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply