April 24, 2014

Katie Couric isn't going anywhere, haters!

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 19th 2009 5:06PM
CouricRemember when every single person in the world said that Katie Couric would be gone from The CBS Evening News by the end of 2008? HA!

Not only is Couric not going anywhere, her show is actually doing better, thanks in part to the election coverage. It's still in third place, of course (and I think it will probably stay there for quite some time, if not forever), but her ratings are improving. The first week of this month, Couric's show trailed ABC's World News by 1.5 million viewers. That might seem like a lot, but Couric trailed that show by 2.8 million viewers the same week last year. The same thing happened last week compared to the same week in 2008. Hey, at least it's a move in the right direction.

I have to admit, when I remember to watch the evening newscasts at 6:30pm, Couric is the one I turn to. I'm not sure how this first happened because I used to watch NBC Nightly News when I watched a network newscast, but now Couric is the first one that gets my eyeballs (Gibson? Eh. His delivery annoys me). There's something about the combination of her, the reporters they have, the stories they feature, and the overall vibe on the show.

What network news do you watch every night?
CBS38 (29.9%)
NBC40 (31.5%)
ABC7 (5.5%)
Network news? What is this, 1986?42 (33.1%)

DJustice

I never watch her program. She does not deserve any kind of award because she is a LEFT WING LOON. Sarah Palin was and still is a threat to her, so she tried to make her look bad in the interview. Sad thing is Katie looks bad as a reporter. Her show is getting worse numbers than ever. How about Fair & Balanced like Fox News. You never have to worry about the truth with Fox News. With Katie, who would ever know if she is telling the truth.

April 13 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

Please tell Katie that Alaska has running water, inside plumbing and toilet paper. I'm surprised she didn't ask Mrs. Palin about that. Now just what does Katie read????? How belittling can she get? Why didn't she ask Obama that question? I think Mrs. Palin was in shock and trying to be nice that such a ridiculous question was asked of her. If it was me I would have told her about the inside plumbing and that we read the Sears catalog a lot just to embarassed a stupid reporter. How dumb Katie looked to me not Mrs. Palin!
Every night when I hear Katie's voice I change over to a REAL reporter ,Brian Williams ,of the news. Anne Curry should have gotten Katie's job! Katie also has a habit of talking while others are. She did that on the Today show in interviews. Tell her to listen for a change. Did her mother not teach her that? Terrible reporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 24 2009 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tvsquadcom

Those numbers would be more interesting as percentages. Raw values mean nothing because maybe the number of viewers for ALL network news shows is way down.

I certainly haven't watched network news in a long time. What's the point? Nearly all fluff, None of it deep or insightful -- it's a waste of time. There are much better ways to get news these days.

February 20 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

'Haters'? Please, never use that term again. It was a bloody awful concept when it started, a bloody awful concept in it's heyday, and bloody awful today.

February 20 2009 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I've become a Katie fan after initially believing that she didn't have the "gravitas" for the job. That said, she can thank her lucky stars that she got the Sarah Palin interview and that Palin turned out to be so weak in answering what for most politicians would be softball questions. She was able to milk that for a week and came out of it seeming both personable and smart.

February 20 2009 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

I'll admit it. I was wrong. I thought Couric was going to fail in a truly epic fashion. This did not take place. However this isn't a win for Katie/CBS, either. Status quo isn't a fail, but it's not a win, either. My wife won't watch her, but that's just her.

February 19 2009 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willmore2000

"The first week of this month, Couric's show trailed ABC's World News by 1.5 million viewers. That might seem like a lot, but Couric trailed that show by 2.8 million viewers the same week last year."

OR .... maybe World News's viewership has declined/increased at a slower pace.

February 19 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I've never understood why all 3 networks feel they have to have their network evening news on at the same time. Why don't one of them (at least in EST) have it on at 6:00 p.m. or 7 p.m.? Who knows, without direct competition of the exact same show, they might get more viewers.

February 19 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cherries

Katie has grown into the anchor slot. I usually watch NBC Nightly News at 7, because the CBS news comes on at 6:30 where I am and I'm usually watching CNN at that time. But I'm getting really bored with cable news lately and I've been tuning into CBS for a few weeks now. She's actually pretty good, and getting better. MSNBC has turned into a complete waste of time, by the way -- except for Rachel Maddow's show. I'm waiting for that to get old and stale too, but I hope not for awhile.

February 19 2009 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

that's okay, I'll continue NOT to watch her.

February 19 2009 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply