October 22, 2014

Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7 are going to LA! - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 19th 2009 10:02AM
Max WeinbergOh, thank the late night gods! After some rumors surfaced that Max Weinberg wouldn't be relocating with ConeBone69 to LA for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, I was worried. I mean just look at that bored, uninterested face! Because of their bizarre energy and involvement in sketches, the Max Weinberg 7 are the best band in late night (I swear I will fight anyone that suggests anything less).

Late Night
would have a totally different tone without elements like Pender's over-energetic, passionate solos and LaBamba's extra-endearing presence. Well, not to worry, people who worry about the same pointless things I do! It looks like Max and the gang are joining Conan in LA.

NBC's official Late Night blog has confirmed the move. Hopefully, the lack of any indication otherwise means that the band will remain completely intact.

I find myself weirdly calmed by the thought that Conan's move from NY to LA is now slightly less jarring. I wasn't aware I was quite so emotionally invested in this. Perhaps it stems from the combination of my intense love of Conan and super-loathing of Jay Leno. Seriously, when is that guy going to just put away the chin and go home? Man, you're not relevant anymore.

To calm my nerves after thinking about Jay Leno for more than two seconds, here's a web exclusive video of LaBamba freaking out during a rehearsal. D'aww... I love it.

Bobby

"the Max Weinberg 7 are the best band in late night"

They'll soon be 2nd behind The Roots. Hopefully Fallon will be smart enough to let them play for 30 minutes every night.

February 19 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bobby's comment
ChrisG

That would be the only way Fallon's show could work & survive its first year... :-)

I'm all for it! Just make it 42 minutes + the rest commercials... Fallon can say 'Hello' at the beginning & then go home.

February 19 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brendan

I love Max and the 7 also, but of course the show would work without Max. People said the same about Andy Richter leaving, and the show survived, and thrived.

February 19 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

"Max on Max" is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

February 19 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

Max is by far the best house band on TV.

February 19 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

The show wouldn't work without Max Weinberg.

I remember a bit they showed maybe ten years ago with Max having sex with himself, being both top and bottom in missionary position. I will never ever be able to get that image out of my head.

February 19 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
Renee

They did the same thing with Joel but it was Joel watching Joel having sex with Joel. It still cracks me up when I think about that!

February 19 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply