October 30, 2014

Why, oh why, must Will Ferrell mess up our favorite TV series? - VIDEO

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 19th 2009 1:03PM

Is Will Ferrell ruining another TV remake or making it better?I have to get something off my chest, and I'm not talking about my man boobs. It has to do with Will Ferrell. See, I like Will as an actor. He had some fine roles on Saturday Night Live and has proven himself a qualified movie actor. Some of his roles have even revolved around television show remakes. Unfortunately, those remakes tend to, um, not make fans of the original shows very happy.

Okay, they don't make me very happy. Sure, his redo of Bewitched was okay, but it really didn't have the "magic" and quirkiness of the old series. Now, he's remaking the classic Saturday morning show Land of the Lost. From the most recent trailer, it seems that Ferrell is going to go the action comedy route (heavy on the comedy) to draw in the audiences. For fans of the old Sid & Marty Kroftt series, this is not good news.

Despite all of the cheese that oozed out of that classic Saturday morning show, it was still taken pretty seriously. Yes, there was humor sprinkled throughout, but it was mostly a show about survival in an unknown world and, in a Kroftt tradition, a quest to get back home. If you really wanted to inflate the show's ego, you could say that it was actually an inspiration for current ABC hit Lost. Minus the Sleestacks, of course.

This doesn't seem the case for the movie version of this show. It looks like most of the original plot is being thrown down the underground waterfall in favor of broader comedy and flashy special effects. Should I really blame Ferrell for this? Probably not; however, since he's the first name on the marquee, I'm directing my anger towards him. While I understand he has a certain reputation to maintain, not everything he does needs to be filled with slapstick and strutting around half-naked. Yet, this movie version of Land of the Lost looks to be filled with that type of material.

I could be jaded about the whole thing because a childhood favorite is being torn asunder in my eyes, and that's why I'm interested in your opinion. Take a look at the trailer and let me know if you think I'm right or wrong. Do this quickly, please, before Will decides to take a dramatic turn at Far Out Space Nuts.

rob

Personally I can't wait to see it. I don't care, I just want to see the sleestacks! That's why I created a bit of a fan page for it all at http://www.squidoo.com/sleestack

February 23 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

I would think this movie would need the "Curious George" Will Farrel.....not the SNL/Blades Of Glory Will Farrel.

*sigh*

One dimensional actors....pfttt.

February 20 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

I was a huge fan of Land of the Lost as a child, but I think I'm okay with this.

If Will Ferrell appears in Friday the 13th: the series: the movie, then I'll be upset.

February 19 2009 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

Wait - the 'Bewitched' movie was OK?

February 19 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

We need more films like "Stranger Than Fiction", and less friggin' remakes!

February 19 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Ever since "Stranger than Fiction" I have loved Will Ferrell although I wish he'd stick to the comedy-dramas.

That being said my little brother and I watched "Land of the Lost" every week as a kid and I can't IMAGINE anyone thinking they could take a remake seriously.

Even as little kids we laughed at that ridiculous show even though we enjoyed watching it.

My biggest complaint is the fact that they seem intent on remaking EVERYTHING rather than sticking to original content.

So I have no problems with Mr. Ferrell. Just please stop remaking old TV shows!!!!

February 19 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

Will Who? Look, that guy isn't funny in the least, just like SNL. Yes, I'm a Will Farrell hater, and in my opinion, being LOUD and OBNOXIOUS doesn't classify one as "funny."

I'm really getting sick of Hollywood doing these lame remakes of beloved classic shows. Don't any of the writers have any ORIGINAL thoughts on a new movie?

February 19 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Feel free to blame Will Ferrell completely. I do. I don't like him. I've never found him funny in anything. And now he's raping the memory of a show that was much beloved by kids in its day, now adults. I don't think anyone felt genuine admiration or awe about the "Bewitched" show, as pleasant as it was. "Land of the Lost" was a different animal completely. And now he's cheapening it and turning it into yet another commodity for the silly noisy "laugh" factory that is his career. And a whole generation of people will think that it's as stupid as "Gilligan's Island" and deserves to be used as fodder this way. Ugh.

February 19 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I agree. Although, strangely, as a Will Ferrell hater, this seems better than most of his movies. For Will Ferrell, it seems funny, and down to earth. No Sarcasm intended. If it gets decent reviews, it might just be the first Will Ferrell movie I see since Stranger than Fiction(I do like most of his SNL appearances)

February 19 2009 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

no need to get bent out of shape, your childhood memories remain intact. this movie doesn't change your memories in any way, and if you avoid seeing it you won't have to create new memories involving it.

February 19 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to robert's comment
John Howard

Exactly. I can understand how some fans of the show might rather have a different kind of movie, but that would be the case no matter how the movie gets made. If you don't like this particular take on it, then don't watch it, and you're no worse off than you were before.

And let's face it, Land of the Lost is not a good show. The only reason any of us watched it is because we were little kids and to stupid to know better. So I don't really see anything they could do to it that would be disrespectful in any way. Fans of the show should be happy anyone cares enough about it to make a movie at all, regardless of what type of movie it is.

February 19 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply