October 20, 2014

So, were you digital TV'd this week?

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 20th 2009 5:01PM

How did your DTV transition go on February 17thYou may not have realized it after coming off of your President's Day Booze and Beef BBQ, but February 17th was the voluntary day for television stations to turn off those piddly analog signals and crank up their digital ones. Other than one guy shooting his television over the conversion, the switchover of about a quarter of the 1800 television stations in the U.S. went off fairly smoothly. Course, this was just the dress rehearsal. The real performance will be on June 12th, which has become the new 'no change' cut over date.

Being a proud citizen of the United States, I thought I'd take your pulse once again and find out if any stations in your viewing area cut over on Tuesday. If they did, and you were one of those remaining folks without a cable hookup, did you encounter any problems with your new digital converter box? Also, just out of curiosity, was there one major market station that remained in analog mode while the others jumped into the digital pool?

Come on, Americans! Let your voice ring out on this matter.

Emerald

We live in rural Nebraska, and lost three of our five stations in the switch this past week. The remaining two stations do not come in when it is windy, snowy, or rainy. At least before they came in a little fuzzy. Now we have nothing.

I do not look forward to thunderstorm/tornado season. We won't have any evening TV for most of the spring and summer.

I think ABC here is waiting to go digital, but hooking up the converter box to get CBS required us to rearrange our antenna, and ABC doesn't work now anyway. Thanks for punishing small town and rural citizens again, America. I should buy cable even though we can't afford it - maybe if we default on our mortgage, we can at least get some of the bailout money.

February 23 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I heard they already did the changeover in Hawaii (or so I heard from a visiting Hawaiian before the 17th).

February 23 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

"The coupon shortage (which is difficult to understand, even when wearing my dimwit cap) "

It's very easy to understand...
Kids, the computer savvy, and others who could afford it went on the internet and got 2 coupons a piece, which is why half are still unredeemed, then those people who still have older tech never got them. More than half, I'm guessing, of the people on the waiting list are still people who don't need the coupon.

February 21 2009 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Man's comment
chris

DTV is simply a way for the Feds to sell all the airwaves to Cell Carriers and others.

Why does Comcast all of a sudden advertise about the switch? THEY are the ones who lobbied on this matter.
They are making so much off of this its ridiclous.

I got one TV in my House thats needs a box and I have yet seen any coupons. I don't care, everything I watch is on the net.

Local in Boston Fox 25 Have gone away and people still don't know what happened. A warning was never said in December about it.
Hey, how much Fox do I watch, none. So who cares.

IS IT JUST ME OR THE GOVERNMENT IS WASTING SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY ON THIS CRAP! Seriously I would rather have a sound economy then worrying about coupons!

February 21 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alice

Two days after I posted that the station I work at was going digital on the 17th, we got FCC'ed. Two stations in our market backed out of our uniform market start date, forcing the rest of us to postpone. Argh! Now we're annoying our viewers with endless spots explaining why we're NOT digital!

February 20 2009 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alice's comment
Carissa

I have to say, I wrote to my local Fox affiliate to tell them to cut the damned scrolling at the bottom of all of the shows. For the first 10 minutes of every HD broadcast, I have to watch non-HD while they tell everyone that they NEW date (that they didn't pay attention to in the first place) is now June 17th. Or whatever it is.

I can tell you that the change of date will make little difference in the long run. The coupon shortage (which is difficult to understand, even when wearing my dimwit cap) is the real reason they had to postpone. And people who postponed to the last minute this time, will most like postpone next time, too. As an HR manager, every year people wanted extensions on all of their forms. Didn't matter that they had an entire year to prepare. That's just the way people roll.

February 20 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

It's been heaven without those irritating commercials!!

February 20 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I set up a pair of rabbit ears and watched the analog stations in Sioux City disappear one by one.

My local NBC station has been designated a 'night light' station and is broadcasting a looped message that explains how to install a DTV converter box.

Everyone seems to have made the switch just fine.

February 20 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim's comment
Keith

I have been getting local DTV for 3 yrs in Sioux City...never had a problem until the switch, and KCAU decided to go back to VHF. Hell, I picked up their old signal when they were broadcasting from the roof of City Hall!! BUUUUUT when I got all my gear 3 yrs ago, it was all about UHF, so I had to shell out ANOTHER $50 for a new antenna just so I could pull th signal

February 21 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply