August 1, 2014

Another Galactica movie rumor

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 21st 2009 1:14PM
Battlestar GalacticaBefore you get excited about the title, I should add that Universal is not talking to Ron Moore or David Eick or anybody behind the current incarnation of the series (or its prequel, Caprica). Instead, the studio is quietly approaching original creator Glen A. Larson about a complete, modern revamp of the series for the movie screens.

I'm left scratching my head on this one. Do we need another series revamp so soon after this series? Wouldn't that confuse casual viewers, particularly those that may start watching Caprica? Also, while I appreciate involving the creator in the concept, Larson hasn't been a big influence in television since the 80's.

I'm wondering if the studio went to Moore and company for a big-screen adaption and they said "no", so they went to Larson. The original pilot of Battlestar Galactica was first released as a movie. That could have been a factor in that choice.

Of course, this is all just rumor for now.

PORSCHE

Phish,

You must be 12 and not able to afford a movie ticket so don't bother commenting. Just so happens i was a child in the 70's when BSG was out and loved it.

Joseph B,

Don't turn this into politics...lets just enjoy a show or movie without pushing your ideas onto everyone else.

and enjoying the show does not mean it belongs to you.

me me me me...get over yourself

February 24 2009 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandra mutter

i hate the re-imaged thing moore put out. i'm eagerly awaiting a movie from the creator of Battlestar Galactica, Glen A. Larson, and know many others who feel the same way. so all i have to say is that it can't come fast enough for me!!!

February 23 2009 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Good, let him dump a boat load of money it and then let it die. I won't watch it and then maybe this jealous little shrew will finally go away.

February 22 2009 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Bua

Who would possibly care about revisiting the old mode BSG in a movie?

I certainly wouldn't, for many reasons, among them I am now longer putting money into the hands of LDS church members so that they can steal my marriage rights in CA.

If cash equals free speech in this society, and the conservative elements have managed to make that connection, I'm all for sending Mormons who took away my civil rights to the poor house.

And besides, the movie rights might be Larson's but the whole idea of Galactica now belongs to the rest of us, and I like what we've been doing with it.

February 22 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe Bua's comment
Cincinnati Mike

Joe...
You should warm up before you make that kind of stretch. You could sprain something.

February 22 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I would love to see how the original creator wanted to end the original series.

Don't get me wrong... i enjoy BSG every friday but i have never thought of it as a replacement for the original...but a brand new series.

February 22 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PORSCHE's comment
Phish

you must be pushing 60? you wont be alive to see any of it, so why comment?

February 24 2009 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cray

I smell a case of bad office politics at Universal studios. This nothing but one producer trying to twist another producer's arm. Glen Larson...? what a joke!

February 21 2009 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

Well, of course they are... This has all happened before and it will all happen again.

February 21 2009 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdn

Moore has always made it clear that he'd love to continue the reimagined series on the bigscreen but it's simply not possible as Larson holds the movie rights and refuses to allow anything other than a continuation of the original series.

February 21 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdn's comment
Phish

so we hope he dies soon, and hopefully his estate wont give a crap and just rake in the money. i know its in poor taste, but i'm a bsg junkie, will do anything for a fix! hehe

February 22 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shayna

Larson owns the theatrical rights to BSG and has refused to give them up.

This is why the BSG tv movies cannot be released direct to DVD. They have to air first. (i.e. Razor)

February 21 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shayna's comment
Bart Smith

CAPRICA is making its premiere on DVD in April, and the series won't air on television until 2010.

February 21 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This is just a monumentally bad idea. Glen A. Larson has been dismissive and downright hateful about the current version of BSG, so no surprise that he still wants to do his own thing. But do we really need a campy, Star Wars-esque version of BSG? Granted, BSG is watched by only 2 million people, but the re-imagined version is now in the popular culture, so now we go back to "By your command" computer voices and Boxy the robot dog? This has disaster written all over, which is no surprise considering we're talking about NBC/Universal.

February 21 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy's comment
Tom

If they can do as great a job as they did bringing back Knight Rider, who WOULDN'T want them to do it?

(Hands go up everywhere.)

February 21 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JuliusMarx

To be fair... Muffy was the Dagget/Robot dog and Boxy was his owner. :)

And NO, NO ONE needs a relaunch of the classic. The new one is perfection.

February 23 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply