April 19, 2014

How was Conan's last show in New York?

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 21st 2009 3:08PM
ConanI have never understood the appeal of The White Stripes and I never will.

Their performance last night on the last Late Night with Conan O'Brien was the only bad spot in a rather good last episode. It had the usual mix of old sketch footage and visits from old friends (Andy Richter, Will Ferrell), and even had Conan releasing Abe Vigoda from his cage and sent back into the wild. He also tore down part of the wall near Max Weinberg and gave the pieces to the audience.

My favorite part of the show was actually the many thank yous that Conan gave at the end, so many that the show actually ran over several minutes. He thanked everyone from the crew and the band to David Letterman and Lorne Michaels. You always get thank yous on these last shows, but you can tell he was very sincere. I don't think this last show has the impact that Letterman's did, because he was actually leaving the network and going someplace else. Conan will still be at NBC, only an hour earlier. But this was a good last episode.

Conan did a good Late Night. I thought he was a terrible interviewer and that walk to his monologue was an annoying 25 seconds of TV every night, but his show was one of the most consistently funny late night shows over the years, especially the outside segments he did and his ad-libs.

Not sure how he'll do at 11:35. Last night he said that he wasn't going to become more mature because he was taking over The Tonight Show, because that's just not who he is. That got a big round of applause from the audience, but keep in mind that Conan did retire bits like The Masturbating Bear and the Pimp Robot. I'm sure we'll still see Triumph though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he's going to do starting June 1. With Conan on Tonight and Fallon taking over Late Night and Leno at 10pm (not to mention the possibility of Jimmy Kimmel moving to another time slot at ABC), 2009 is going to be an interesting year for the late night landscape.

Jay

What was I thinking!!! The White Stripes (and Pink Floyd) are an affront to the music industry.
That's why their records don't sell (who has a copy of "Dark Side.." or "The Wall" any more).

I AM making an assinine comment when I express my own personal opinion about my music tastes. What an a-hole I AM.

February 24 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Y. Shin

Conan *is* a terrible interviewer. He's very creative and clever and hilarious, he has some amazing set pieces, he has come up with some insanely funny recurring bits, but interviewing is certainly his weak spot. The main problem with his interviews is that he makes the focus too much about him -- he mugs for the camera, he goes off on tangents about himself, he gets way too caught up in the self-deprecating humor -- rather than about the guest.

February 23 2009 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

Dude,
I don't know if you are referring to everyone or that one guy that went on and on about Pink Floyd but no one in this thread mentioned any "gimmicks". So I am not real sure what that is about. Just to speak for myself, I like the White Stripe songs that I have heard on the radio. If this was on the radio I must have missed it. Personally, I gave the song 30-45 seconds and felt forced to change the channel.

February 22 2009 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

And I'm sick of people bashing the Stripes just because it's fashionable, and whining about "Gimmicks." Jack White himself has said that if someone gets turned off to the band because of the way they act or dress, than who needs them? It's like people who hate The Beatles or Led Zeppelin because they're popular.

Hating on a popular band doesn't make you cool, or special, or different. It just shows how truly pathetic you are because you go against other people to try to define yourself as an individual. A true individual does what they want because they enjoy it, not because other people enjoy it.

You can not like The White Stripes. That's fine, but saying you "hate" them just shows that you're a fool and a thoughtless coward.

February 22 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

The White Stripes are an amazing band. Keep in mind they hadn't played live in about a year and a half after having to cancel their last tour due to injuries. Besides that, I fail to see why the opinion of this no-name author should be considered to have any more weight than mine or yours.

February 22 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoshM

Terrible interviewer? What? It's like with every article Bob Sassone writes, there's something I completely disagree with.

February 22 2009 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

I have always liked Andy Richter but his presence on the final show seemed a bit uncomfortable.

February 22 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

Sassone is a deaf douch

February 22 2009 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Interjected

Alright, I don't feel there's a need to stand up for the White Stripes, because there are valid points stating that they are terribly overrated. However, I do enjoy some of their songs and last night's performance was a version of my favorite song by them.

The thing that was good about it was that it seems from what we saw that Jack and Meg White are quite good friends with Conan, and besides the fact that they are his favorite band, it was a touching tribute to their friendship.

I'm not saying it was their best performance or that they are the best performers, but I will say that it was fitting to have them on over pretty much any other musical guest. So there's no need to bash them for any lack of talent they have.

February 22 2009 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I didn't catch the show, but I have to stand up for The White Stripes. They're awesome.

February 22 2009 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Jim

I just caught the performance on youtube. I liked the rendition, but Meg was clearly off. It would have worked better with Jack playing by himself.

February 22 2009 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply