October 20, 2014

Apple says 'Screw you guys' to South Park's iPhone app

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 23rd 2009 7:03PM
Everybody knows an iPhone user who flaunts his phone to the world the way anyone of us would if we owned something that we believed contained the awesome power of God.

They are always checking their emails or giving you weather updates you never asked for. They always let their phone ring longer than necessary with some ridiculous sounds such as one of those dumb novelty "Pick me up!" chimes or the theme to Sanford and Son to make sure it grabs your attention. Pretty soon, every time they stroke their finger across that smirking touch screen, it subconsciously sounds like fingernails across a chalkboard.

Now, you can one-up your personal iPhone a-hole with this comforting fact: Their almighty cell phone from God won't let them watch South Park because it thinks it's too offensive for their delicate sensibilities.

South Park Studios announced that the application permit they submitted to Apple for the iPhone was rejected not once, but twice because of its "potentially offensive" content.

The app might be down for now, but it could rise from the dead one day. Apple admitted in their response to the studios that the iPhone might evolve into a device that would accept edgier and more potentially offensive material. You mean, the iPhone isn't perfect in its current state? I'm more shocked than a southern grandmother at a Rob Zombie show.

The good news is Matt Stone and Trey Parker are bound to turn this personal stumbling block to their advantage in a future episode. Past jokes about their movie BASEketball, their fallout with Issac Hayes and Phil Collins getting an Oscar-ectomy are sure signs that South Park is bound to make the iPhone their new comedy bitch.

tracey

(scratching head...) They have a dozen different variations on the iFart application, but South Park is too offensive for them?

February 24 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sean steffen

The app is available in Cydia, got those who have a jailbroken iPhone. Although the app says it is working through technical issues, it does offer a link to a sweet Family Guy app. Every episode, every season..... For free!

February 24 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Apple already has parental controls built in to iTunes and the iPhone to prevent downloading of apps and/or explicit content. I guess they haven't got much faith in those as an appropriate means of users controlling what they see and hear.

February 24 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Jealous much?

Sent from my iPhone

February 24 2009 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

Hopefully they still release it so us with jailbroken phones can install the app

February 24 2009 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinsleric

Irony of all ironies... I read this article on my iPhone.

Oh, by the way, it's supposed to be very cold this week in Illinois.

February 23 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pinsleric's comment
Manal

Hah!

February 23 2009 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I'm very disappointed in Apple. I didn't buy their iPhone to have my morality regulated by what Apple, Inc. thinks is appropriate, offensive, etc. Meanwhile they're making big bucks selling dozens of "fart apps" in the iPhone App Store. The only thing worse than forced morality is hypocritical forced morality.

Yes, if they allowed South Park episodes to be viewed on the iphone (a credit card could be required to download the app) some brain dead religious people would write a few annoying letters to Apple whining about "the children" seeing things that they deem inappropriate. Companies like Apple need to grow up and tell whiny religious people to fuck off. It wouldn't even be that many - South Park has been around a dozen or so years and all their complaints to Comedy Central have been for naught - South Park is as popular as ever.

I hope Matt and Trey rip Apple a new asshole, and I feel the value of my iPhone was just greatly diminished. Not that I'd ever watch a TV show on my phone... that's what my 60" tv is for. But it's the principle of the matter. I SHOULD be able to, and "the children" is never a valid reason to prohibit something. NEVER.

February 23 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emor8t

How about an android app?

February 23 2009 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

It is the explicit content, Apple has been applying that rule selectively from day one.

That being said, its something else that Danny got me interested: I'd LOVE to have a ringtone that's got Turk "singing" the Sanford and Son's theme.

I'm just sayin'.

February 23 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Si

You forgot to mention that you can still buy South Park episodes on iTunes, which are still a $1.99 each. I have a feeling it's not so much about the"offensive" content as it was the "ka-ching" factor.

February 23 2009 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Si's comment
Joey Geraci

Yea, they have shown no interest or inclination to meddle with prices of apps on the App Store. They interfere with practically every other aspect of the iPhone's function, which hurts the user experience and Apple itself (they are too farsighted to realize their strategic mistakes), but they don't care about the prices of apps on the App Store.

February 23 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply