April 23, 2014

Dollhouse slips in the ratings

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 23rd 2009 8:57AM
DollhouseRemember when we wrote that Fox's Friday nights didn't do so well in the ratings? There is even more bad news. Dollhouse lost about 15 percent of its viewers this past Friday night from the previous. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles remained about the same, falling only a tenth of a point.

These are the times that try a Whedon-fan's soul. Most of us knew in advance that Friday nights are the exact opposite of a ratings powerhouse. These are the circumstances in which we learn whether Fox was sincere in its agreement with Joss Whedon to try and let the show grow an audience.

On a more upbeat note, the decline in ratings for Dollhouse is consistent with the second episode of any new show. The network probably knows this and hopefully has factored this sort of slip into their plans for the show. I refuse to give up hope two weeks in.

singlegalkansas

I watched first episode and found it not as good as all the previous Joss Whedon series, this is crap!

February 25 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I'm happy that this second episode managed to work in a little more of Whedon's snappy dialogue style; I was really missing his ironic humor in that ponderous pilot.
I do wonder though: one of the trademarks of Joss's shows is that great "ensemble" mix he usually has; lots of constantly intertwined characters that bounce off each other every minute, with the loving and the hating and the bonding and the misunderstandings and the somebody constantly worrying about the somebody else - but there's no ensemble for Echo yet, just her handler and whatever strangers she's thrown in with ep to ep.
He's so great at working in the ironic humor, and so great at interweaving the throughlines of an ensemble group; but the series concept doesn't play to those strengths.
I'm in for the duration, and hopeful: but I can't help worrying a little.

February 24 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon thomas

Bring back Journeyman and Jericho ... Oh wait wrong post .. and i think im to late ; )

February 23 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Seems to me people are dismissing this show after only one or two episodes. I think that is a big mistake. If we stop watching simply for one or two not so good episodes we'll never know how good this show can become. "Buffy" for me didn't really get intresting till they introduced Spike and Drusilla. "Angel" didn't start getting good for me till around the time they go to Pylea. If the WB had ended the runs of those shows during the first season we never would have gotten to those series changing events, and Whedon fans should know better.

February 23 2009 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keystonepete

The second ep was definitely better than the first, because it started to raise questions about the show's "mythology" and present those certain mysteries which we will enjoy seeing solved, or deepened, in further installments. The first episode was this series' "Train Job," which, had I watched Firefly on TV, probably would have resulted in that being the one and only episode I would watch. Thank God for the DVDs.

That being said, this show does have a kind of "Bionic Woman" vibe to it. Fembots anyone? I'm not sure I like that.

February 23 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie Preissner

Just FYI - those of us waiting to watch Dollhouse in the Salt Lake City area were sadly unable to support the show's bid for better ratings. After Terminator, the new episode of Dollhouse was bumped for an HOUR LONG news conference about the death of the owner of the Utah Jazz. I waited ALL week to watch Dollhouse, and was seriously annoyed at the local Fox affiliate for airing a news conference that was Also airing on 4 other stations.

February 23 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

Eliza Dushku is no Jennifer Garner. She doesn't have the range to deliver an authentic, convincing performance. Now, I'm not saying Garner is Meryl Streep, but her work had real authority in "Alias." Dushku's performance in the first 2 episodes of "Dullhouse" was shockingly self-conscious, and threw me out of the story every time she stepped in front of the lens. Not a good thing.

February 23 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I've heard from Ausiello and others that the show really starts finding its groove in eps 4-5-6, and it becomes a must see then.
Keep the faith peoples!

(OMG i didn't even realize that I had just done that - Keep the Faith! lmao!)

February 23 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I too watched dollhouse back to back thanks to dvr and i thought the 2nd eppy was much better than the first - was i the only one? don't tink i would have watched the 2nd one otherwise.
i'm not a whedon follower, so i didn't have the history to know that shows get better, but i'm hoping this one does AND that fox gives it time to grow.

and please don't be a douche to people on the boards...i come here to read what everyone thinks about the shows being written about - not to read personal attacks.

February 23 2009 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adam

Given that it's FOX, I won't be holding my breath. I can honestly say that I'm part of the problem - I totally spaced that it was on. I wonder, however, if Hulu's viewer numbers are the same/up for the second ep - that's where I caught it. Better that than downloading it - at least this way they know I'm watching it, right?

February 23 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to adam's comment
Big John

Unfortunately it takes many many Hulu eyeballs to match even just one set of network eyes.

'Dollhouse' could have a future, I liked the 2nd better than the 1st. Perhaps if episode 3-4-5-6 can show more exposition into the 'mythology', the backstory of the company, other Actives, something like that. There's plenty of room to grow on this show and that's important for episodic television.

February 23 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply