July 29, 2014

Fringe moves production farther north (and I don't mean Albany)

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 23rd 2009 5:04PM
FringeI didn't even realize that Fringe was filmed in New York City. Maybe because the show is set around but not filmed in the Boston area and is a little X-Files-ish, I always assumed that it was either filmed in California or in Vancouver, the way The X-Files did for most of their run. Now it looks like the show really is going there.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that for the show's second season (if it has one, which is a good bet), the show will move to Vancouver and film there, because of the production costs. Seems the program for getting shows to film in New York proved to be more popular than they thought it would be and they've run out of money.

This doesn't bother me in the least. As someone who lives in the Boston area, I'm always ticked when TV shows try to pass off California (or even worse, Toronto!) as Boston. I never thought Fringe was filmed around here in the first place, and there really isn't anything "New York City" about it, so I don't think a move to Vancouver will make a bit of difference. In the quality of the show, that is. I'm sure officials and execs in NYC would like to see the show stay.

HAZEL55

Who cares where they do the filming of Fringe, as long as they continue to film the show. I think they should do away with Global Dynamics or make G.D. a global agency so the shows could take place all over the world. A far more reaching show that could include small country towns and huge urban metropolis. The main idea is to keep them taping. it's a wonderful show and I would like to see it continue long into the future.

March 28 2009 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Deej

The simple fact is that no matter what city may look better for a show, production are going to go where the best tax breaks are. Add to the price of the Canadian dollar at the moment it's going to cost less to film in Vancouver and with the way the economy is it makes financial sense. British Columbia is really agressive with tax breaks. Too bad for New York that the money ran out.

February 25 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Being from Boston, the inconsistencies (and mangled place pronunciations) drove me batty. Mass. is doing well with enticing movie productions but they missed the boat on this one. They obviously need to focus on TV too. Vancouver is gorgeous no doubt but totally agree that Toronto would make more sense albeit it is MUCH cleaner than Boston. Interesting fun fact on the victorian houses, Steve.

February 24 2009 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

i got an idea. how about they film in the boston area. *gasp* crazy concept i know. but whatever floats there boat just dont try and give me a city view and tell me its worcester or i'll have to kill you.

February 24 2009 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ricky19's comment
Chip Douglas

I agree. I know that many shows move to Canada to die. I hope the show can work through this major change.

February 24 2009 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I'm surprised it didn't move to Toronto as that was where they filmed the Pilot and Toronto is much more like Boston than Vancouver is, especially in the winter. Also fun fact Toronto is second to Boston in North America for Victorian style homes, so the suburbs would be a dead ringer for Boston

February 23 2009 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Doesn't matter so much where they film I suppose, they already have some good stock footage from season one if they need it, at least I would assume.

February 23 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I think whenever a show set in a particular city or region isn't actually filmed in that local the natives get a little ticked off at all the inconsistencies. They know too much about the place. They know it like the back of their hands and it's the little things that really tick you off the most in my opinion. I guess because it really shows that the production team (no matter how good they are) didn't do their homework. For example I really loved Women's Murder Club which was set in San Francisco but every time they referred to our commuter trains as "The BART" I would just cringe. We never call it that, it's just BART. You don't say, "He got off the BART." You would say, "He got off BART." And you could so tell they were filming on LA's Metro - the trains looked totally different. So yeah, I totally understand your point and as long as the show stays good let 'em move the production.

February 23 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matriculated

At least Joshua Jackson can go home after shooting as he's a native of Vancouver.

February 23 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply