October 24, 2014

Heroes: Cold Wars

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 24th 2009 2:02AM
Heroes -
(S03E17)
Well, the three stooges pretty much hogged up the entire episode, didn't they? In the end, it was Moe who had to come along and save the day because Larry and Curly kept bickering with each other to the point they were both captured. But who stayed captured? And what did they find out that was worth all the throwing around and breaking of mirrors? *yawn* Man, it turns out the stooges aren't nearly as fun to watch as I remembered.

The good momentum established in the first three chapters of this volume were completely squashed as the action ground to a screeching halt in this episode. We did learn that HRG is clearly a loyal lapdog to whatever cause he's behind. We know this because his memories as he sees them are in black-and-white and everyone knows dogs see in black-and-white ... yep, that's right. I just totally wasted your time with that lame-ass joke. You'll never get that time back. Hiro's lost his powers. He also lost the ability to appear in an episode, along with Ando, Claire and even Aquaman (who's still hiding in her closet, I guess).

Really, no one has yet blabbed to anyone that Nathan can fly? "How did you get here so fast?" "He flew" would have been Peter's natural response. "Oh, he didn't tell you he could do that?" Boom. Blow the lid off this whole thing so fast even Daphne couldn't keep up. But no, everybody's too busy posing and looking all dramatic and not talking to actually accomplish anything.

How about when Peter was flying off to get the hunter in the first place. HRG says "Peter!" and "Don't go!" and when that doesn't work tries "Peter!" a few more times. Can't string together a sentence there, Noah? Maybe a few words as to why he shouldn't go. Maybe a more compelling argument then saying his name. "You know, I was going to fly off half-cocked, but the way you said my name just then ... I'm really rethinking every major decision I've made in my entire life. Thanks, man." "Peter."

I actually found myself missing Claire. And what did we learn after all? We learned that Nathan went to Noah to establish his new initiative. We learned that the hunter is the guy behind the hunting. Huh, look at that. We didn't learn a damned thing that we either didn't already know or didn't already figure out because we can take off our shoes and count to 20 all by ourselves.

The confederacy of dunces did manage to only get one of their number captured. Poor super-strong Mohinder. At least he's now in the same containment facility as Daphne, who's not dead as many of you suggested when she was shot. I know, why was I so quick to sign her death warrant? Primarily because she's not from the original season one cast. It seems that anyone who's added later has to die at some point or another, and I thought that was her time. But with the bizarre noises she was making tonight, Matt might wish she'd died. I don't care what kind of pain she's in, cows don't make that kind of noise when they've broken all their legs.

Sorry, Tim Kring, you can't win them all. And I guess you're allowed a filler episode here and there. Maybe I just didn't need to know quite so much how HRG got into the position he was in that you needed to fill an entire episode with it. In fact, the only scenes we really needed were the ones where he told the hunter he was on board 100%, and the one where he told Ma Petrelli he wasn't on board with either Nathan or the hunter 100%. It was a nice watch, though.

rang

somehow i am not that excited to watch heroes lately unlike before. but its still nice.. i like sylar he's so misunderstood >;P

February 27 2009 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ramirez

In the end of the episode HRG is seen with Angela as if they're plotting something deeper that Noah is part of. I forgot the exact line, but something about how he can't ever go back and he gave her the watch back. This seemed to be the clincher to the ep and you seemed to completely ignore it?

February 26 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ramirez's comment
MK

My thoughts exactly! The reviewer totally misread Noah's motivations and behavior. HRG is plotting something with Angela against Nathan and besides he never was a loyal "company man". He always had his own agenda.
And I think he CAN manipulate his memories to resist Parkman's power.

And I think that review was horribly and lazily written by Jason who didn't even understand what was going on in this episode. If you dislike so much that just half-watch it, let somebody else to write the review.

February 26 2009 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessica

"We didn't learn a damned thing that we either didn't already know or didn't already figure out because we can take off our shoes and count to 20 all by ourselves."

Ditto - Spot on review. This show has painted its self into a corner. Ex-men went there. 4400 went there. What happen to the fresh new superhero drama? Total waste of an episode.

February 25 2009 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BUBBAMEISTER33

Who is paying rent at Issac's apartment.

February 24 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BUBBAMEISTER33's comment
Tri

Ma Petrelli, obviously. ;-0

February 26 2009 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

I think the most important thing thtat we learned last night was that Noah DOES have a power. Apparently he is in a constant state of "Out Of Body Experience", based on his memories. That must be handy for tactcal situations - very hard to sneak up on him...

February 24 2009 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I didn't mind this episode until I read this review and realized that maybe it wasn't very good.

But you know, I'm going to stick with Bob on this one. Compared to the first half of the season, which I pretend never happened (and apparently so do the writers thank goodness!)... I'm glad the episodes are more focused and they are explaining more. Mohinder used to be my favorite part of the story, but ever since he got powers, he's become whiny and over emotional. I like him best as a cab driver. And Greg Grunberg, my teddy bear crush, it's best if you just leave the show because your character has really been sucking.

It does bug me that no one has called out Nathan yet.

February 24 2009 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

This episode was groan-worthy, and not in a good way. I was mostly just bored with it, but then the end came along and we got yet ANOTHER vision of a nuclear explosion - this time it's Washington. Oh noes!

Seriously, the idea them being hunted and their showdown with Hunter was a great story arc for the season. It kept the series grounded. Why the felt the need to have one more nuclear explosion is beyond me. All that says to me is that by the second half of the third season they've completely run out of story lines.

No really, Heroes, it's not me, it's you.

February 24 2009 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

The thing that really bothered me was Peter's power this week. He explained and past episodes have shown that his new power only retains the last person he touched. So how was he able to pick up and fly Parkman away?

Wouldn't Peter have gotten Matt's powers the second he touched him? My friend suggested that maybe Peter is starting to retain powers longer, but there was no mention of that at the end of the episode.

Generally, I've been okay with this season, but this episode was kind of getting annoying.

February 24 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John's comment
malren

They made it perfectly clear that Peter can _decide_to pick up the power. It's not just an accidental grazing touch that gives it to him. He has to make it happen.

As for why Parkman didn't use his damned power and say, fool the cops into thinking he and HRG were getting Prop 8 up in that motel...that is a whole other discussion and I kind of want to slap Tim Kring.

February 24 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

Parkman's ability has allowed him to create illusions in the past - why didn't he just make the room appear empty when the thugs broke in?

That aside, this was the best episode since the season premier.

February 24 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philly_phenom's comment
popbuzz

I was watching the episode with a friend and we thought the exact same thing. He didn't think of it? They had time while the hunters were going room to room. The heroes generally don't use their powers as effectively as they should. Either we're supposed to by they that they're just not that clever, or it's lazy writing.

February 24 2009 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

The 3 Stooges analogy was spot on. They really should have put in Matt trying to poke Mohinder in the eyes but Mohinder putting his hand up sideways to block.

Anyway, while a breath of a Claire-free episode was refreshing, they should have inserted a splash of Sylar on his Daddy-quest. Just because they want to focus on one set of heroes for an episode (which is a very good thing, in my opinion) doesn't mean we should completely forget about all of the others.

February 24 2009 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply