October 30, 2014

The CW is going to stick around

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 24th 2009 5:09PM
The CWSweet Zombie Jesus! In the biggest display of optimism in the face of depression since FDR signed the New Deal, The CW has renewed six of their series, including Smallville, for next season. It's like someone forgot to tell The CW that their ratings comparatively suck and the economy is in the crapper.

I can't speak for the other series they've renewed, by The CW should be sticking a fork in Smallville. It's done. This season would have made a good final one but dragging it out for another year seems fatalistic. Who will be showing up next? Darkseid? The cow is dead. Stop trying to milk it.

Still, one has to admire The CW for flipping the bird in the face of the critics (including yours truly). I just think the merger between The WB and UPN was a bad idea way back when. The program selection and quality seemed better when they were two separate networks.

Harry

The article's writer is wrong- Smallville is one of the best rated shows on the CW. He's right that they screwed up merging the superior WB with the inferior UPN (though, if they didn't try to force the merger into a grid of 'demographics', they dumped successful shows, like Reba, for the crap they have now. The best they can do is the stupid America's Next Top Whiner/Crybaby/Diva/Shallow Model.
If they can Chuck, or Reaper, I hope they get picked up by another network I can watch. Great shows on CW & NBC! What ind of vacuous idiots do we have now, that the trash reality shows are popular, and the good programs aren't? Amazing how MTV Networks have dummied down so many to a level that they prefer junk to good shows.

March 17 2009 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

One of the worst decisions in the history of television was to merge the much stronger rated WB with the low rated UPN. The WB's ratings were double what any CW show can muster now. It ranks right up there with NBC not choosing to air Heroes or Chuck after the superbowl.

I hope that Reaper lives on....

February 26 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

Why is nobody giving "Supernatural" any love? The show is fantastic! The season opener this season left me scared of the walls in my condo for weeks!

But really, this is no surprise. Sure, the ratings might be low by network standards, but not by CW standards. In fact, the article you linked to states that the ratings for all the shows renewed were strong.

I would have, however, would have liked to see at least one show left off the list to give us more room for something new. There is a lot of crap on television today that seems to stay there... At least give new crap a chance to become the next "Lost."

February 25 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

You people are very questionable. First of all, Lana's storyline is over.
She's off the show. They had to finish off her contract. The show's
writers are still going strong. The people posting obviously don't watch
the show so save your comments for your love of Gossip Girl and One Tree
Hill. And the reviewers on this site really make it painful to keep coming
back here. Half of them don't even watch every episode but feel they can
comment on each show. Save the comments for the shows you're reviewing.
Please don't add commentary on a network's renewals. Smallville gets
better ratings than all the shows on their list but one. This guy Brad
reviews Smallville yet will make comments that show he hasn't watched the
whole series.

February 25 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

Smallville shouldn't have had a season 5, let alone a season 9. However, I can't be too upset, because Supernatural is getting its fifth and presumably final season. I don't care if the CW goes down in flames after next season, just give me my Supernatural series finale first.

February 25 2009 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

If you like Smallville or not, it's the 2nd-highest rated show on The CW so they were smart to bring it back. I personally like it so I'm glad too. And Lana is too cute for me to hate. ;)

February 24 2009 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Who give a crap about Smallville? The time is now to celebrate more Supernatural goodness! Who's with me? Woo hooooooo!

February 24 2009 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carissa's comment
lycao

Supernatural and Reaper are the only reason to watch the CW.

February 25 2009 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Honestly after the f--k up that was the Lana ark, they need more time to finish the story. If the show kept the momentum that it had pre-Bride I would say end it now on an upnote, but instead we have Lana with superpowers and his true love. Its going to take more than what few episodes are left for Lois to reattach Clark's balls and get him over the Almightly Lana.

February 24 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marie

The one CW show I hope gets renewed is 'Privileged.' That is such a good show, the only episode I haven't seen is (ironically) the pilot. Michael Ausiello says the chances are slim for renewal because, while critics praise the show, viewership has been nothing to brag about. The season finale's tonight...PLEASE watch it people! You don't know what you're missing. Even a slight ratings jump could help the CW decide to renew it.

February 24 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I know people don't like how long they dragged on the Lana/Clark drama, but the fact remains that Kristin Kreuk is the best actor on the show by far, and Welling has excellent chemistry with her. The episodes with her this season have been the best in a long time, for the most part.

This season has been the best in a long time, for a lot of reasons, and I am happy they are going to have another season to finally get Clark up in the air and hopefully bring Lex back to end the series properly.

February 24 2009 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply