October 31, 2014

Nip/Tuck: Allegra Caldarello

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 25th 2009 8:03AM

Nip/Tuck: S05E21
(S05E21) "It's not easy knowing that your whole life is gonna go on without you." - Christian

It's hard to imagine what this show would be like if Christian were to die now. I'd like to think that Ryan Murphy and Co. will actually follow through on what's been an emotional rollercoaster for fans, watching Christian's cancer's ups and downs. If he somehow survives, I'll honestly be disappointed. Dr. Troy needs to die for this story to pay off. So the question is, when's he gonna kick it?

Personally, I'm hoping his passing doesn't become the crux of the series finale. I'd much rather he die a handful of episodes earlier (similar to Nate in Six Feet Under) so that we can see the aftermath of his death for more than two minutes.

Until we get to that point, though, there's a wedding to plan and I love how this whole story has transformed Liz. She's become bolder, even more opinionated (if that's possible), and most importantly, she verbally kicked her mother's ass. This entire series Liz has been a character marred by low self-esteem and we finally met the source, her mother Mariella (I think that was her name). Kudos to Christian for not playing into his mother-in-law-to-be's mind games and verbal berating of her daughter. He can still be classy when required.

As for the case, it was great to see Allegra again - a.k.a. the "pussy lips" surgery. His first appearance was way back in season two and her surgery was the inspiration for Candy Richard's (Jennifer Coolidge) role on Hearts & Scalpels. While Allegra's situation was sad (Manny, her husband, is dying), the whole bit about being abused by her father, while not a funny topic, was funny. "How did you know?!?" Priceless line.

However, despite all the depressing things going on in this episode, Richard Burgi's guest turn as Dr. Logan Taper stole the show. I've never heard of objective sexualism (that's what he called it, right?) but man... when he spread those two couch cushions like a... you know... wow. I honestly wish the reveal about his condition had been stretched out over at least one more episode. They could have had a lot more fun with that one. At least he got to screw the operating table before he left. Oh, and Christian's quip about screwing the latest model at Pottery Barn was hilarious.

The final scene was very well done too. Sean was watching that video of him, Christian, and Julia in college getting high and talking about the future. We've seen it a few times over the life of the series. He really is losing everyone. But for Teddy to say that he'll never lose her? I don't buy it. She damn near walked out on him last week and even though he brought her back to the lights-out restaurant, what really changed? Even earlier in the episode, she was asking Liz about playing for both teams. I'm thinking Sean may get hurt pretty bad in next week's season finale.

Rita

This is by far the best show on television. I wish all the control borads would watch what they want and leave the rest of us alone

March 14 2009 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

@Simpression
Even if I hadnt read anything about it before, it is pretty obvious that christian will not die (at least not till the final season). The script said nothing about cancer, it just said christian had been sick. So I have zero clue on what happens with it. I just know that Ryan Murphy wouldnt kill off a main character when their are 20 episodes left. Would you tune in to watch Sean only? And it isnt a spoiler they are getting married. So I am sorry if I spoiled something, but I seriously have no clue about the outcome of the show. All my statements have been educated guesses.

February 27 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

Christian's Cancer dissapears after the wedding, according to the leaked script from season six and various other spoilers for next season. If he dies, the show will literly not survive

February 25 2009 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to iamored8907's comment
Kris

I really think you should shut up.
I'm pretty sure this is not the first time you've attempted to spoil the show in comments. Just keep it to yourself, some of us actually enjoy seeing the show pan out without prior knowledge of what will happen.

February 26 2009 at 3:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

does anyone know the actors name who played allegro caldarello's husband manny caldarello?

February 25 2009 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to james's comment
andrea

his name is richard portnow

February 25 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

It's called objectum sexuality. There was just recently a documentary on it posted to boing boing. Most OSes are women and a third have asbergers syndrome. It's an interesting movie if you can find it. There's a woman married to the Berlin wall.

February 25 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

I have to hand it to the writers. They come up with the most outrageous/ridiculous plot lines ever. A character actually f#&$ed a couch!

I thought the same thing about the shot through the cushions looking up at him, as he pulled them apart. The crew actually put time into that scene and put a good deal of effort into it. WTH???

Objectum Sexuals seriously?

Objektaphile
ROFL - hope they keep their wall sockets covered.

February 25 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply