September 19, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld doing a reality show about marriage? Dear God, no!

by Jane Boursaw, posted Feb 26th 2009 8:02AM

Jerry Seinfeld creates It's not a show about nothing, but Jerry Seinfeld is coming back to your TV set. This time, he's exec producing an NBC reality series about marriage problems. Only it's not a drama, it's a comedy.

The Marriage Ref will feature celebrities, comedians and sports stars offering their advice to real-life couples in the midst of marital woes. Oh good grief, there's so much wrong with this concept. Where to begin ...

First of all, I'd like nothing more than to see Jerry Seinfeld on my TV again. But after being so successful in the sit-com arena, why for the love of God would he even think about stooping so low as to helm a reality series.

Second, marriage problems aren't funny. Sure, we laughed at Lucy and Ricky's squabbles and Ralph threatening Alice with "to the moon!" But these were situation comedies, not reality shows.

Third, the very idea of a celebrity giving marriage advice is completely ridiculous. Most celeb marriages don't even make it past the first six months. Hey, here's an idea, Jerry. How about having Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards offer their marriage advice? Or maybe Pamela Anderson?

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. Please come to your senses before you make an utter fool of yourself and ruin the goodwill that everyone feels in their heart for you. Please, Jerry, I'm begging you!

GerryofNorVA

Ha! Well, that you "like" Jerry is innocuous enough, it had seemed that you were embarrassing yourself with gushing adoration in the original post and that just couldn't go unchallenged. (I'd like to toss in a Tarzan joke but I don't think the Millennials here would track the reference without resorting to Wikipedia.)

February 26 2009 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

"Jane, you ignorant..."

Eludium - Oh sure. Like I've never heard THAT one before! Go ahead, pile on some Tarzan jokes now. Call me plain. I've heard it all! :-)

Ok, well anyway, *I* like Jerry. And I like Larry David, too.

February 26 2009 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Jane, you ignorant ... (sorry, couldn't pass up the classic SNL Wknd Updt phrase) I start off with this phrase because you said "I'd like nothing more than to see Jerry Seinfeld on my TV again." Really ?! Really! "Seinfeld" was saved by the Laugh Track. His show AT TIMES was somewhat entertaining, but he - like his failed comedy act at the time - was an uninteresting player, an add-on of less consequence than ANY of the other ensemble actors! No soup for you !

Then you compound it with "Please come to your senses before you make an utter fool of yourself and ruin the goodwill that everyone feels in their heart for you." Maybe Larry David, the comic genius behind "Seinfeld", has alot of good will, but Jerry is still an oddity, consistently striking out when attempting to be in the public. How disastrous was his ad campaign with Microsoft ?! And you KNOW he had to architect and consent to how that was done, and it was SOOO bad they pulled the ENTIRE campaign after two skits were aired!

I don't want to see him fail (again), I just want him to stay home, raise his kids, and enjoy the millions that laugh-track technology brought him.

February 26 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GerryofNorVA's comment
screaminghello

Ummm Q36? what are you smoking? So Seinfeld wasn't funny and was saved by the laugh track eh? Whats you next argument? That The Beatles had one or two soilid hits but all the rest were b/c people were high?

February 26 2009 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

Ya know, I heard this on the radio this morning and thought to myself, "Self, there is no way this is going to make it to air."

I stand by that. The idea is just too... bad...

I need to have faith the powers that be will keep this trash from every seeing the light of day.

February 26 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CDB's comment
Brent McKee

Yes but he's doing it for NBC - under current management the house of bad ideas.

February 27 2009 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Basketcase456

This isn't the first time Jerry has produced a reality show for NBC. Don't forget he was a producer of MILF Island.

February 26 2009 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CParis

I could see this as a one-off comedy special, other than that I couldn't imagine wanting to watch this horror.

February 26 2009 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The problems may not be funny, but I suspect the advice will be. Even if it in unintentional.

February 26 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The problems may not be funny, but I suspect the advice will be.

February 26 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply