September 2, 2014

Two more seasons of The Simpsons... will it ever end?

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 26th 2009 11:03AM
The Simpsons
Fox just sent word that they've picked up The Simpsons for two more seasons. So, if you've stopped counting, that means the FOX staple will have completed 22 seasons and an astonishing 493 episodes by the time this pickup runs out. I'd imagine they'd want to push for 500, so don't be surprised to see a 23rd season, as well.

Look, say what you will about what the show has become; it's not as funny as it used to be, it doesn't make news anymore, blah blah blah. It's still quite shocking that in this day and age of quick-trigger-fingered network executives that any show can last as long as The Simpsons has.

Anyone who saw The Simpsons debut in 1989 would have never guessed it would still be on today. Why? Because it was hilarious and just a little bit subversive (at least according to the first President Bush). You would think that creatively the show would have tanked long ago or the novelty of it would have worn off to the point that people would stop watching it. But it keeps chugging along.

I watched the first-ever HD episode a couple of weeks ago, and while I wasn't overly satisfied with how frantic it was (I mean, the story of why Homer didn't win the class president election would have been enough without the silly sauce stirrer/soothsayer), I still thought it was funnier than most of what I see on TV today. Since there's such a lack of comedy on network TV, having The Simpsons stay on the schedule to help influence tomorrow's sitcom writers can't hurt, right?

So, how much longer do you think the show will go? Let me know in the comments.

Suzie

Hmmm, I don't know. I've seen REALLY early episodes, middle-ish episodes, and watch all the new ones. (I was born in '92 and was the parents wouldn't let me watch it until just two years ago) I agree, the new ones are often not as funny as the old ones, but they're also very different. They just revamped the theme song to show the changing times.

March 01 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merfdiezel

--cont.--
...plagued the writing of the following seasons. It seems as if the Simpsons lost its way after all these years, and now tries to recreate the vein of humor found within shows like Family Guy and South Park, which owe a lot to the Simpsons. It's like trying to be cool by emulating your nephew. Why bother? You listened to the Clash when they were still touring anyway, right?

The point is, anyone who owns at least one box set from season 1-8 can immediately identify the difference in quality concerning the writing.

February 27 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merfdiezel

"Did you ever consider that It may not be the show that is changing so much, but it may be you growing up?"
--McKinley

Give me a break.

The Simpsons was one of the S-M-R-T'est shows on television for nearly a decade. I would agree with previous posters to say that the 9th season marks the end of a strong run and the beginning of the "quality" downfall that

February 27 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
McKinley

I am tired of all that ... the show used to be so good ... talk

" ... It may be a 6/10 now, but it used to be a 10/10 ..."

@Dan & the others: Did you ever consider that It may not be the show that is changing so much, but it may be you growing up?

I think the show is still al good as it used to be, the audience thanged a lot (no wonder considering how long the show is on the air)

February 27 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wayne who

I'm amazed at every one, the Simpsons is just as funny, I feel the reason why every one think that the show is not as funny is because we have other cartoon shows that is more shocking and more offensive. One of my favorite shows is the Family Guy,South Park. But I still watch the Simpsons to this day and I will be there until the last show which I hope that day never arrives.

February 27 2009 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
screaminghello

the show is just as funny as it ever was. the earlier eps just stick out more b/c it was new and they stick in your brains more. sort of like how new songs by bands you like may be good but they'll never top the original favorites. i think there is also something inside all people to not allow themselves into think that something remains good consistently. everyone wants things to be like the clash. burst onto the scene and then quickly exit before you "sell out." i am a total comedy snob and i think the simpsons are still great.

February 26 2009 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

Is it just me, or have there been very few new episodes this season? My DVR only seems to record a new episode once a month or so. They used to have full seasons. Or is my DVR just screwy?

February 26 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I actually disliked the Simpsons when they debuted in 87 on Tracey Ullman and didn't watch the spinoff series until it hit syndication but then grew to love them.

I don't think the show is anywhere near it's creative peak but still has it's moments but as writers come and go on the show, there could be a renaissance/revitalization awaiting around the corner. I hope so.

February 26 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam the Deaf

Come on, make it end up to 500 mark and it's over. Pretty please. :)

February 26 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdk

I think Futurama will prove to be accurate and The Simpson's will still be airing in the 30th Century. (Of course by then, Matt Groening will be just a living head in a jar of nutrient liquid.)

February 26 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply