American Idol: 3 of second 12 go through

by Jane Boursaw, posted Feb 27th 2009 1:12AM
American Idol - Allison IrahetaPeople sure take American Idol seriously! 25 million voted last night, choosing the next three singers to advance to the top 12, joining Alexis Grace, Danny Gokey, and Michael Sarver. Based on the chosen three tonight, this is gearing up to be a great competition. So far, everyone can sing and there really aren't any Sanjayas in the group yet. Yes, Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentle is a novelty act. but he can sing and he's really entertaining.

But before we got to learn which three went through, the producers tortured us with yet another group number, with the Idols awkwardly dancing and singing Neo's "Closer." I'm not a big fan of the group numbers, and the singers don't look like they're having that much fun either.

Then Ryan chatted up the contestants, asking Matt Breitzke if he had any regrets about talking back to Simon last night. "I don't know that there's ever a point in my life where it's going to be too late for advice," said Matt. Meanwhile, Jeanine Vailes' legs were still in full view.

First to step into the circle of stress are Allison Iraheta, Jesse Langseth, and Matt Breitzke. Out of these three, my favorite is Allison. At just 16 years old, she blows me away every time I hear her sing. She's such a natural performer. Randy said he hoped Allison would go through, because she sang her heart out last night. Randy's and my wish was granted, because Allison was put through, while Matt and Jesse will be going home.

Up next are Matt Giraud, Jeanine Vailes, Megan Joy Corkrey, and Kris Allen. Paula said she had no idea which of these four would be going through. Kris is chosen, and looks like he's going to faint. He's so humbly surprised, it's sweet. And his family is weeping, too.

Next, we were treated to a completely unnecessary filler thing with scenes of past winners and contestants, including Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, even the She-Bangs guy. After that, past contestant Brooke White sang her new single, "Hold Up My Heart," while playing the piano. She advised the current contestants, "Don't Google your name!"

Mishavonna Henson, Kai Kalama, Adam Lambert, Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentle, and Jasmine Murray were next up in the circle. Simon said he prayed for 5 or 6 hours nonstop that Nick wouldn't get through. "Hopefully, God and I have a good relationship right now," said Simon.

Apparently, God heard Simon's prayers. Adam is the one who made it through, and, as the other winners did, he sang his song from last night. He really does have a phenomenal voice, and I'm glad he made it through. In fact, if I'd chosen the winners, it would have been the three that America chose. They got it right, in my mind.

As for Nick/Norman, there's still a chance he could come back as a wild card. As Simon explained, the judges will bring back a few people they feel deserve another shot. Will Nick/Norman be one of them? I told my family that he really should be on Broadway. He's just a natural entertainer.

What are your thoughts about tonight's winners?

greg

Dont get me wrong, Kris can sing, but he got the votes because he is a total hottie!

February 27 2009 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

Brooke's performance on American Idol last night was great! I work for a PR firm on behalf of Clorox. If you are a fan of Brooke, you might be interested to know she's partnering with The Clorox Company on a new cold & flu prevention campaign for teens called, "I Don't Want to Miss..." Just go to www.IDontWanttoMiss.com for more information about a video contest for teens. The winner gets a free concert from Brooke at his/her school!!

February 27 2009 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I like Nick/Norman, but he's no Streisand. Barbra would have blown away the judges on sheer talent -- just as she did when she began her career. You don't become a Broadway star and win a Grammy for Album of the Year for your first album by age 21 if you're not a phenom.

Norman/Nick is a cabaret performer and I like him a lot. He would have brought much more to American Idol than Kris (yawn) Allen, the cute boy. I also don't see the appeal of screecher Allison who cannot speak -- did you see her attempt to answer Ryan's questions? She's dumb as dirt. Go back to high school, girl, you're a dunce. Learn something about music and then come back. Nothing against youth; Jordin Sparks had brains and class and she was just as young.

I'm not thrilled with the batch, not yet.

February 27 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkcincos

Norman reminds me of the Barbra Streisand character in Funny Girl. No confidence to rely on the voice only. He's a male Fanny Brice:)

February 27 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

I like the visuals of the group performance so I can see eveyone performing at once, it's a nice shortcut.

I realize alot of people like Norman's act, but THIS is American Idol (as Ryan emphasizes every open) and it should focus on singing talent, this is NOT Star Search or America Has Talent. This show needs to focus on singing, not on entertaining with singing thrown in. Thus, I think Norman is bad for Idol, yes he's funny/entertaining, but he doesn't belong there, it hurts the show and trivializes the others attempts at real singing performance. I FF through his stage time because of this.

February 27 2009 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

should have been matt girard -- hope he gets a chance on the wildcard. How does that show work -- do the judges already pick or do we get to pick again? thanks.

February 27 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Though I would have preferred to see Henson or Giraud go through instead of Lambert, it was impossible for people not to vote for Lambert because of his pimped out last spot and the innane gushing by the three idiot judges (Simon is only a jerk, not an idiot). I was surprised that people voted for Kris Allen because his song was kinda weird and he had NO press. But his voice was the best of the men so far, him and Ricky Braddy are the only two men who've performed that actually impressed me with their vocal ability. Lambert is good, but so fake and cheesy that I find it amazing that anyone can stand watching him.

I'm thinking Giraud will be in the Wild Card round, his "Georgia on my Mind" was simply fantastic and it'd be a shame to keep him from getting one more chance after choosing a stupid song to sing on Idol.

Iraheta was clearly the right choice like Alexis Grace. She proved it with her performance last night.

Also, that was the first group number that I didn't want to rip my ears off while listening to it. Even the bad singers sounded decent.

February 27 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Adam's voice is AMAZING. Very very few successful singers have a range like that. I wish him the best. He sings circles around Danny "My wife recently died..." Gokey.

February 27 2009 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
RJ

Wow, snarky much?

February 27 2009 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodlang

Adam has high range but way over sings. Maybe in the future, he'll tone it down and stop screeching. And he should stop using eyeliner or guyliner or whatever they call it.

February 27 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Anderson

Closer is performed by Ne-Yo. Not Neo. I don't even like or listen to this kind of music (let alone blog about it) and I know the dude's name. Check your facts guys!!!

February 27 2009 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply