September 2, 2014

Vampire Diaries snags Steve McQueen's grandson

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 1st 2009 1:10PM
Steven R. McQueen - Vampire DiariesI'm neck-deep in the midst of a vampire obsession. I'm one of the Twi-hards eagerly awaiting the Nov. 20 release of Stephenie Meyer's next vamp-flick, New Moon. I was immediately sucked into HBO's True Blood, and can't wait for its return in May.

I recently sped through the short-lived Moonlight and fell in love with Mick St. John. And its taken me all of about a week to get to season three of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (though I don't know if I can take much more of the on again-off again romance of Buffy and Angel - don't tell me how it plays out).

I'm sure I'll be equally enthralled with The CW pilot, Vampire Diaries. It doesn't hurt that Steven R. McQueen, grandson of the legendary Steve McQueen has landed a lead role. I bet even those not as enamored with vamps will tune in just to see him: Does he look like his grandfather? Act like him? Have the same "something"?

And there are other reasons to tune in, too. The pilot is helmed by Kevin Williamson, the brains behind Scream and Dawson's Creek. The story centers on two vampire brothers -- one good and one evil -- both vying for the soul of a young girl named Elena, as well as the souls of her friends and family in the small town where they live. Sounds like a winner to me.

McQueen will play Jeremy, Elena's outcast younger brother. You may have also seen him as Kyle Hunter on The WB's Everwood.

Nevaeh

So the desecreation has already started with the books to television...Elena doesn't have a brother. She does have a 4 year old sister, Margaret...For anyone who has read the second book in the series, they will realize a certain scene between Elena, Margaret, and Damon was revalent for a purpose
Geez, I could see McQueen as Stefan

March 25 2009 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Ladytex - Ooh, Barnabas Collins. Now you're talkin'!

My latest update: I'm 4 eps into Buffy S4 and loving it. I like that the gang is in college (well, most of them), and think I've gotten over having Buffy and Angel together (well, sort of).

Then I watched the first 2 eps of Angel. I like it so far. I'm not sure about having Cordelia as a main character, but I like the 3 main characters at this point. I'll be watching more tonight! I guess I'll just alternate a few eps of Buffy with a few eps of Angel and see how that goes.

March 03 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Just read this and am excited. Vampire Diaries is obviously based on the L.J.Smith books. I read them years ago as a teenager an was so in love the brothers Stefan and Damon. I can't wait!

March 03 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I got hooked on vampires when Anne Rice released "Interview with the vampire", and then I moved over to Buffy. There's another great series which noone has mentioned yet "Kindred - The Embraced", which is based on "Vampire the Masquerade" (the role-playing game). You definitely have to check it out if you need a vampirefix! :)

March 03 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladytex

My vamp obsession started with Barnabas Collins and hasn't stopped. I hope I remember this show. I hate that it's on the CW. That means that I won't 'accidentally' cruise to it if I forget. Here CW is on channel 165 and my surfing doesn't usually take me that far up ...

March 02 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TwilightManiac

Aw, Thank you so much!

March 02 2009 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Aww ... Teleholic! We just need to get you hooked. :-)

TwilightManiac - Ok, just posted a note about your contest on my movie blog, Film Gecko, and sub'd to your RSS feed. Your site is beautiful!

March 02 2009 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jboursaw's comment
Manal

Aww, thanks!

I was actually hooked on Moonlight and was really disappointed when it got cancelled, and I've been a loyal Supernatural fan since the 1st episode, but I've actually never seen Buffy or Angel, a few episodes here and there, but never really SEEN it. And I just checked out the site, I'm definitely gonna try it! Although I'll probably lose, I mean, *shrinks* I don't think I can keep up with 44 items.

*okay, now you can throw things at me. Please, not the hardcovers!*

March 03 2009 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manal

I'm loving this little conversation going on here, although now I feel left out...

March 01 2009 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Liz - I would definitely start with season one of Buffy. You almost have to, to get a good sense of the series and history of the characters. A friend said season 5 was her favorite - I'm just heading into season 4 and will probably watch this season and then maybe season 1 of Angel and see how that goes. I'd send you the DVDs, but I borrowed these from my nephew, who has the entire series of both Buffy and Angel.

Supernatural is definitely on my list - I'll get into it after Buffy/Angel. And thanks for the tip on Blood Ties and the Anita Blake books. Maybe we all need some kind of vampire 12-step program... nah, we'll just enjoy the ride!

March 01 2009 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I think we need a support group. I went Twilight to True Blood to Moonlight and then to Blood Ties (was on Lifetime, now cancelled you can see them on the Lifetime site or Itunes). I also have Supernatural in my Netflix queue and have been watching the Vampire Diaries threads to make sure I keep up with the details.

I haven't delved into Buffy/Angel because I didn't know where to start! So S3 is a good jumping off place? You might also want to try Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake books. Definitely not light reading but VERY addicting.

Glad to know I am not alone!

March 01 2009 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
CK

I just finished the 5th Anita Blake novel! LOVE THEM!!! I'm just as addicted to those as I was the Sookie series and the Twilight series.

I'm rewatching Buffy too! I'm on the 5th season now. I've been buying the seasons because I plan to go back and reexperience them with my daughter in a couple of years.

March 02 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply