April 23, 2014

Andrew Dice Clay thinks he's all that, huh? - VIDEO

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 2nd 2009 2:37PM
Andrew Dice Clay graces us with his presenceI watched The Celebrity Apprentice last night. Did you? While I thought the last non-celeb season of The Apprentice was a dismal grasping-at-straws season and the show should be put out of its misery, I once again got hooked during the first celebrity season.

I have my reasons I must watch. Yes, I wondered if Joan Rivers' face can actually show any signs of movement after all of her plastic surgery (it doesn't). Her mouth smiles, but that's about it. Nonetheless, Joan can be so outrageous and spontaneous that she'll crack me up anyway (and my face actually can move with expressions). Having her, Dennis Rodman, Andrew Dice Clay, Clint Black, and some of the others is enough to get me hooked on the show even before the season started. Oh, that doesn't mean I like them all. But I do like my just desserts and Clay got his cupcakes last night.

I don't know why Andrew Dice Clay has such delusions about his greatness. The "rock star" of stand-up comedians? Sheesh, give me a break. He's a boring misogynistic wannabe tough Brooklyn guy who tends to come across as a sexist Neanderthal every time I see him. I don't see funny. I definitely don't see "rock star." I see someone who should have long ago been washed out to sea. And, I honestly thought he was ... or he went into accounting or some other mundane field.

As for comedians, I'd classify George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and plenty of others as the "rock stars" of stand-up comedy well before he'd even be considered for the honor. He reminds me of the Barbarino character on Welcome Back Kotter -- dumb to the max but thinks he's all that.

Last night he didn't want to get involved in the cupcakes task because he "doesn't believe in baking." Say what? I can tell by his physique that he certainly believes in eating! Does he not realize that many of the baking culinary experts in the world are indeed men? Heck, even if we went back to what he'd consider the good old days -- you know, when women were barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen -- men still baked! Oh, not all of them, of course. But the famous ones back then were men.

Then he wanted to quit until Donald called him a quitter. Just throw him a beer, some raw meat, and send him on his way. Yeah, I was intrigued when I heard he was going to be on the show. I had wondered if he had changed over the years. Nope. Even though Trump fired him, I consider him a loser ... a quitter. So there, Mr. Macho.

Don't even get me going on Donald, Jr.'s mullet. I don't want to go there.

DBS

Its a sad day when NBC does not do their homework when choosing someone like this Brian McKnight guy ... He is involved with some improper business practices in Southern California that involve him "scamming the elderly" and not paying his rent centered around property issues ... I'm sure he will blame this all on his outstanding business manager and not his inability to manage himself !!

March 09 2009 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

There is a certain schtick and charm to this show which along with Survivor and others is sort of the old guard in reality shows. The celebrity angle has bought it a little more life and while it probably won't gain headlines like it once did, it will probably do well enough to grab a few more seasons and that is fine with me. My wife realized how Clay's firing in the first week mirrored Gene Simmons firing early in the game last season. Two guys whose egos would not allow them to work well with anyone else. Rodman is the next wildcard. In the meantime, it's all entertaining.

March 03 2009 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I imagine some (not all) of the celebs are on the show not for the "exposure", but for the challenge, or to raise money for their charities.

Clint Black, for instance, will likely gain nothing (career-wise) from being on the show. Same with Scott Hamilton, Annie Duke, and even Jesse James. Compare that with the Playboy Playmate and the Deal or No Deal Model, who would probably jump at ANY reality TV show they could.

I'm probably going to casually watch this season, if nothing else than because I think I'll enjoy seeing Tom Green deal with all that insanity, and I'm a fan of Annie Duke and Brian McKnight. Won't PVR it, but if I'm home when it's on, I'll probably watch it.

March 03 2009 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I just can't believe Jesse James is on the show. I mean, he's the ultra anti-sell out; it's very weird to see him with the Donald.

March 03 2009 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Hmmm... Andrew Dice Clay doesn't believe in baking? Forget Donald Trump. I'd like to see Clay go up against Gordon Ramsey. That would be more entertaining.

March 02 2009 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Um, Jackie S, you do realize you are NOT Andrew Dice Clay's target demographic. So your rants & raves are kind of irrelevant because that's exactly how he wants YOU to feel about him. Anyway I hate these faux-reality shows because the editing always favors the guy in charge (DT and his spawn) and is slanted against those who aren't in favor.

I watched this one ep just for curiosity sake, but won't watch any further because again, you're only seeing what Donald Trump wants you to see. Did you notice how ADC challenged Trump in the Board once in the very beginning and then at the end and they edited in some awkward silence! How manipulative was that ?!

I feel sorry for you if you're going to sit through the whole nauseating season, there's no redeeming value in any of it, the celebs are just there for the (minimal) exposure and Donald is just perpetuating the myth of his ego as he now involves his witless kids in this televised travesty.

March 02 2009 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Andrew Dice Clay is a joke on his own merit. And a bad one at that. I've NEVER been a fan of his so-called humor and couldn't ever understand why anyone thought him to be funny. I'd call him a neanderthal except I don't want to insult the neanderthals.

March 02 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

A few years back my brother spent the night bar hopping with Clay and his wife. According to my brother the real Clay is the complete opposite of the stage Clay. In other words, he's just a normal guy who found a shtick that made him money. It's an act.

March 02 2009 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mike's comment
The Deej

I can confirm that. Years ago when I was working for Virgin Megastore in Vancouver he was in town working on Rodney Dangerfield's last film. It was before we were open for the day and the staff were waiting outside to be let im. He wanted to buy a bunch of CDs for some under privleged children that were acting as extras.

March 02 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Andrew Dice Clay worked that "attitude" into a successful career (a LONG time ago) and for that I give him credit.

However, I recently heard him interviewed and the interviewer was an old friend of his. When he started recounting what Dice Clay used to do for "fun" you could tell that Dice Clay was a social misfit and perhaps even sociopathic. The interviewer made it pretty clear that he just COULD NOT stomach hanging around with the guy. And the interviewer was HOWARD STERN!

Dice Clay's idea of fun was seeing how long he could make someone miserable before they got sick and tired of him. Usually Real Estate Agents. Ugh.

March 02 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I caught the tail end of this and was so glad he was the first to go. Even from the commercials I could tell he was an arrogant prick, an arrogant prick who I hadn't heard of before this. So to claim is the greatest stand-up comedian of our time is such a joke, especially when you consider true comic greats, such as George Carlin, whom you mentioned.

March 02 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply