April 25, 2014

Life & death and Brothers & Sisters - VIDEO

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 2nd 2009 12:29PM
So, if you saw the preview for last night's special two-hour Brothers & Sisters, you were anticipating that someone was going to die. Then, if you surfed the net, there were all kinds of rumors and spoilers that something life-altering was going to happen. Would it be Tommy? What about Kitty and Robert's newborn, coming via surrogate mom? Would Nora keel over from all that running in the hospital hallways? Maybe it was going to be something from left field, like Uncle Saul gagging on a wine cork and kicking the bucket?

Imagine my shock and surprise when all the build up turned out to be something unexpected. If you haven't watched it yet, I'll save it for after the jump.

First, though, take a look at this promo:

Either that was a fantastic bait and switch or they're not paying the ABC promotions department enough. I was sure there was going to be an assassination attempt on Robert. Instead Brothers & Sisters presented the most accurate and scary-looking heart attack I've ever seen on TV. Rob Lowe was drenched in sweat, spitting up, glassy eyed, clutching his chest. I didn't think he was going to make it.

In some ways there was a death on the show because Senator McCallister did flat-line. He had to be brought back to life, so he sort of died. I also think there were a few metaphorical deaths. Tommy's career might be dead now that Holly has had him arrested for embezzling $2 million from the family business. (By the way, isn't it interesting that Conner got away with embezzling millions on Ugly Betty and the cops showed up after he'd already gotten away, but on B&S, the cops showed up the moment Holly dropped a dime!)

Robert's political career might be on life support if not dead. Imagine, on the day that he announces he's running against the incumbent Republican governor, you have a massive heart attack and then try to keep it from the press. Does he really think the media won't find out that he's had triple bypass? You think the Walker family will keep their mouths shut?

But what really may have died was Robert and Kitty's marriage. She was ready to dump him before the birth of the baby because he put his political career before the birth, then gave him a pass when she found out about the heart attack. However, in the end of the episode, when Kitty was at home holding little Evan and she saw Kevin on TV soft-peddling Robert's illness, she looked down at the newborn and said it would be just the two of them from now on. Was that the death of the McCallister marriage?

Cindy

My prediction is that Kitty is pregos . . . so soon there will be two baby McCallisters to deal with. And I agree - that heart attack scene was one of the most disturbing I've seen on the screen. Wow.

Overall I thought it was a good episode. But I HATE Holly! She needs to get her due . . . and it's not the Walker family business!

March 06 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cindy's comment
Liz

I thought Rob Lowe aced that heart attack! He was actually foaming at the mouth! I still say he wears to much eyeliner, but he can sure act. I like the spin you put on it, the death of Kitty & Roberts marriage, on the other hand, let´s face it, we´ve been taken for a ride!

March 09 2009 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasmine

I have no complaints about the promos. I love B&S; therefore, the promos had me on pins and needles for the whole two (2) hours. Honestly, those were two very quick two hours.

Although my favs, Nora and Sara didn't get as much time as I would have liked, I have no complaints. Ken Olin was his terrific-self, and I would like to see more of him.

Rob Lowe's heart attack was so real, I had to go take a baby aspirin MYSELF! Kitty, my least favorite, was outstanding. LOVED the show.

March 02 2009 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrie

Is no one else as annoyed with Whiny Kitty as I am? You meet and marry a guy on his campaign for the presidency and then want him to squash his ambition because your priorities have changed? Not to mention that he's already proved to you what a devoted father he isn't with his other children from his last failed marriage. Not that it isn't a big deal to be there for the birth of a child, but let's face it, she wasn't even having the kid herself. I spent most of this episode wanting to smack her and her crabby, complaining self. Even in a time when she has other things to focus on, this woman cannot just enjoy her life, she has to be constantly worrying about what he's doing or not doing.

March 02 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

as a fan, i'm annoyed that the network false advertised. it pisses me off... i still would have watched even if they didn't say a shocking death was coming. but what's interesting is that the promo from two weeks ago said there was going to be a death, but promos that aired after that sunday did NOT say that. So, my guess is that the promo department made a mistake and tried to rectify it and/or they possibly hadn't edited the episodes yet and a death later this season is still looming.....

March 02 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I thought brothers and sisters last night was a excellent 2 hours!!! The promo may have been slightly off base but no more than many other shows promos...I was expecting tommy to be killed last night!!! i was Freaked when it wasn't ....Awesome just awesome!!!

March 02 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I have to give B&S so kudos for this episode. Probably one of the strongest of the season. Rob Lowe finally got show he really can act, which hasn't been obvious since he left West Wing. Even Calista Flockhart was great. From start to finish this was a helluva ride. Great episode! The only thing I have trouble buying is Kevin's brotherly "love" for Robert. It just seems out of character for the Kevin we watched for the last three years; especially considering how much he knows Robert is lying to Kitty. Regardless, still a great episode.

March 02 2009 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

This story could have been told much better in one hour instead of two, way too much filler conversation between all the Walkers. Good thing I recorded it first.

But the heart attack was realistic, and Robert's determination to run for Governor was never more apparent. He wants it all. Kitty has had enough. It is also apparent she wanted a baby more than her marrriage. Because she could have both if she wanted, if she could accept not being first in his life.

March 02 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

A few things...

1. There were no deaths in the show. McCallister flat-lining does not mean he died and came back to life. He isn't Jesus.

2. Metaphorical death? PLEASE!

3. The promo's department needs a raise? After the show I was thinking they needed to be fired.

I'd be hard pressed to find a promo that so overstated an episode of television. I feel that you're reaching on this one. You're such a fan of the show you can't recognize when the show fails.

The first hour was good, the second fell on its face.

March 02 2009 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CDB's comment
Ryan

I dont know. I hate false advertising, but the whole "death" thing in the promo really did its job in making me afraid of everyone's fate. First I thought it was Saul, then the birth mother, then the baby, then randomly Ryan, then Tommy... then Robert had the heart attack and for the rest of the show I couldn't believe how THIS wasn't leaked already?!

So yeah, blah on the false promo, but it helped in the adrenaline rush I felt. So REALLY they did their job.

March 02 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply