July 23, 2014

Sarah Silverman threatens to quit her show

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 2nd 2009 10:47AM
Sarah SilvermanLike AIG, The Sarah Silverman Program needs a bailout.

Comedy Central is cutting the budget for the comedy show by more than 20%, and the three executive producers - including Silverman herself - have threatened to quit the show. The series has not been picked up for a third season yet.

It's actually MTV Networks that is telling Comedy Central that they have to cut the budget. Right now each episode costs around $1.1 million to produce. MTV Network wants that cut down to $850,000 an episode. That's probably more than can be saved by simply replacing the fancy food on the craft services table with stuff from the supermarket.

I predict that they'll settle this, though I have to admit this is a show I don't really watch, even if I do think Silverman is funny. I wouldn't mind having a second new episode of Important Things with Demetri Martin every week if this show is a goner.

Would you miss The Sarah Silverman Program?
Yes! It's a great show.118 (45.0%)
Sarah who?144 (55.0%)

Larry

I love you Sarah

March 08 2009 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Echy

I tried to watch an episode last year after I heard her on the Stern show. The show was terrible. If MTV is paying $1.1M for an episode they are getting ripped off.

March 02 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

Boo! I really really hope they work something out. The show is one of my favorites. Save Our Sarah Silverman! I'll be biting my nails in anticipation until we hear...

In the meantime, my personal stimulus package: http://squareeyes.blinkx.com/?p=395

March 02 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

One question: WHO CARES? Sarah's been riding Kimmel's coattails from the start and she's annoying. With this economy, she needs to get a clue and be glad that someone's going to keep her skinny butt employed.

March 02 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Wayne's comment
Jim

Sarah's been "riding Kimmel's coattails" from the start?

Sarah started on network TV (SNL) in 1993. Kimmel was on Win Ben Stein's money four years later and didn't land The Man Show until 1999.

March 02 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Maybe they should use some of that unspent Dave Chapelle money?

March 02 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to J.'s comment
Deezul

I'm NOT rich, B1tch!

March 02 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I work on a show produced by MTV Networks, and our show pulls in double the ratings that The Sarah Silverman program pulls.

Our budget is $350,000 an episode. We make about 30 episodes a year.

I can't believe they spend 1.1 million an episode on her show! That is INSANE! The network is right to cut it by 20%. If it were up to me, I would have it cut by at least 50%.

March 02 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I like Sarah more than most people, but I've never been a huge fan of the show.

The bill per episode surprises me because the show definitely has a low-budget feel. Maybe she could cut 20 percent by dropping the lame musical pieces.

March 02 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Sarah as a stand up is decent. Hell, I enjoyed Jesus is Magic. But I just cannot get behind this show. Sarah has a lot of quirky potential but a lot of times she sticks with the shock-jock cute girl saying dirty words routine.

March 02 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

I think she hilarious and I would watch if Comedy Central would STOP MOVING IT

March 02 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Perhaps they need more TaB product placement.

March 02 2009 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply