April 24, 2014

24: 7:00PM - 8:00PM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 3rd 2009 8:24AM

Tony Todd(S07E12) "Madame President, right now your life is a priority whether you like it ot not." - Jack

That wasn't as gripping as I thought it would be. After all the set-up in last night's first hour, I assumed there'd be a lot more pay-off. Instead... it was more set-up.

Yes, the taking of the White House was exciting and I loved how we got to see more of Agent Pierce in action, but overall I'm left wanting more and we just didn't get it.

The biggest reveal? Well, it wasn't really a reveal at all because we still don't know who Jonas Hodges is or what he does. However, since he was able to supply Juma with all sorts of intel on White House Security, it's a safe bet that he has some connection to a defense contractor maybe.

His motives, as well as Juma's, are still cloudy and I'm honestly having a hard time buying into them - whatever they may be. Based on Juma and Hodges' conversation, it seems as though they've had this White House plan in the works for months. Was the civil war in Sangala ever a priority for Juma? It's looking more and more like it wasn't, especially if dying in the White House while trying (there's no way he'll succeed) to kill the President is his endgame.

Complicating matters is the newly introduced wussy Vice President. I'm not sure we caught his name, but the Veep doesn't appear to have enough spine to sit up straight. He has no intention of calling any shot until he has concrete intel on Taylor and the FBI is obviously not going to be able to get that intel unless they get the go ahead to bust down the doors. Who'll crack first? I'm guessing Moss and Renee take matters into their own hands.

However, the highlight of the hour was Senator Mayer. Once he was a hostage, sitting right next to Bill, looking defeated, angry, and scared, he asked Bill the million-dollar question: "are you suggesting that had I allowed Bauer to torture Burnett, then this could have been prevented?" Um... yes. Buchanan's face was priceless. To top it off, Blaine was angry when Jack finally caved and went along with the terrorists by releasing the President. Don't be a rogue! Be a rogue! He can't win in Mayer's eyes.

Final thoughts...

• Call me crazy, but it seemed way too easy to break into the White House.
  • Was there any point to the sub-plot with Dubaku's son? It would have only paid off had he believed Renee about Juma killing his father and released her - but he didn't. He tried to kill her and Moss shot him. So why bother giving him any character at all?
  • Rory Cochrane was Hodge's #1 henchman! Jeez... guess him leaving CSI: Miami to pursue his movie career never panned out.

12 hours down and 12 to go. Based on the previews for next week, it looks like we're going to be stuck in The White House for a while. Here's a question though - say Juma sticks around for another three or four hours? Then what? Is the rest of the season just going to be the hunt for Hodges? At the risk of sounding like an idiot... there has to be another threat, right? Nukes? Another disease? How about Ebola? These guys are from Africa.

Bill

I love all these people complaining about how a fictional show isn't realistic enough. This is TV people! It's entertainment. It's not a documentary.

When you watch Lost, do you sit there and say "Yeah Right, like that could really happen!"

March 09 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doolittle Fan CCornel

>> Another disease? How about Ebola? These guys are from Africa.

As an African-American, I take umbrage to that comment.
And yes, that was "idiotic."

March 04 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

CC said:
"I thought Monday's episodes were a marked improvement over the first ten hours, and I think I know why...."

And I sure hope you keep it to yourself!

March 04 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

The problem a lot of 24 viewers are having is that they are approaching it more as a prose than fiction, poetry, or music. 24 is not intended to be "real". When the writers claim that 24 is supposed to be based on "reality", they're talking about the reality of the 24 universe, not "our" reality.

March 04 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xaul

I really don't care about how "real" 24 is. It's just a TV show.

If some of you guys want to point out plot holes or impossible things to sound smarter, I think you're in the wrong place.

I really liked these two episodes, the pace was amazing and the tension was good. I was almost sure Bill was gonna die in this episode! I was expecting Juma to shoot him quickly and then cut to the silent clock.. Thank God he didn't.

I love Renee Walker following leads, staying in the dark, jumping on a moving boat, getting the intel just to take a jump and swimm the hell out when being chased... Jeez! She's my new Sidney Bristow.

March 04 2009 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Jffm wrote:
"They seem to have forgotten about the idea that fiction is not documentary and that storytelling at times necessitates dramatic shorthand and license; sometimes a good chunk of it. It's not an IQ test, no one's trying to 'slip one by you', they're just trying to entertain you (Between product placements anyway...)."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revised a bit:
Finally, someone with a bit of sense. You have to leave reality behind at the door of EVERY action adventure movie, and just enjoy the FICTION!

Fiction: 1 - A literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on fact
2 - A deliberately false or improbable account

Time for the "suspend disbelief" crowd to realize that every James Bond movie, every Arnold movie, Sahara, every Rambo movie, every Chuck Norris, every Bruce Willis movie...Snakes On A plane...Jurasic Park movie, all slasher movies, Lethal Weapon 1 through 15. Air Force One, Grandpa Indiana Jones...ALL of Harrisons' movies are way beyond belief - the list goes on forever, yet, we all enjoyed them.
So, get off this stupid "suspended disbelief" crap. It only makes you look unintelligent. Just enjoy the show, or, watch the History Channel, read some autobiographies... Better yet, read any, or all, of Ann Coulter books if you want reality. OK, read: A Brief History of Time! You want real? Read the manual that came with your car.

March 03 2009 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

jffm said:

Finally, someone with a bit of sense. At the door of EVERY action adventure you have to leave reality behind and enjoy the FICTION!
Time for the "suspend disbelief" crowd to realize that every James Bond movie, every Arnold movie, Sahara, every Rambo movie, every Chuck Norris, every Bruce Willis movie...Snakes On A plane...Jurasic Park movie, all slasher movies, Air Force One, Indiana Jones...ALL of Harrisons' movies are way beyond belief - the list goes on forever, yet, we all enjoyed them.
So, get off this stupid "suspended disbelief" crap. It only makes you look unintelligent. Just enjoy the show, or read some autobiographies...OK, read: A Brief History of Time! You want real? Read the manual that came with your car.

March 03 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I love 24 it the most real to life in this day and time there is. With the way our country is and all the terroists this is reality! I am so glad to see all the previous characters on the show this season. We need to wake up America this could happen to us today. I love it when the bad guy is captured and dealt with! Keifer Sutherland is the best actor and has brought in great actors and actress to play their parts.

March 03 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Another couple of great episodes. I loved the inner turmoil Jack went through when the POTUS ordered him to open the lockdown room. I could almost see the a little thought bubble pop up over his head saying, 'Oh crap, it's going to require a whole TON of killing to get out of this one'. Jack in a corner is such a very, very dangerous thing.

The thing is, I really got the feeling that when Tony was talking to Bill that what was going unsaid is that Tony's source into the Juma (or maybe Hodges') camp is... Tony. I think Tony is or was in a lot deeper than Jack suspects. Right now I think the end of the season bomb is going to be a only one man walks away showdown between Jack and Tony.

I really have to pity people so immersed in the information age/instant expert/googleit mindset of today that it spoils a fine piece of fiction like 24. They seem to have forgotten about the idea that fiction is not documentary and that storytelling at times necessitates dramatic shorthand and license; sometimes a good chunk of it. It's not an IQ test, no one's trying to 'slip one by you', they're just trying to entertain you (Between product placements anyway...).

There's a glorious sweet spot somewhere between the rose colored glasses and the magnifying glass and fine toothed comb, and a lovely place it is. There's much entertainment to be had here.

March 03 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Two planes colliding on a clear day in the morning and all but forgotten a couple of hours later? The list is just sitting there...no action whatsoever. The best quote on this thread: "It is like the final hour of a Hollywood Blockbuster every week." I think they should have done a raid on Congress instead as they were deliberating over a pork bill. In this way the true enemy would be hard to discern.

March 03 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply