October 30, 2014

CBS sticking with Men and Big Bang

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 3rd 2009 1:28PM
How happy is Chuck Lorre this morning? I'd say on a scale of one-to-ten, he's an eleven. According to reports, CBS wants more of its Chuck Lorre sitcoms. In particular, they're talking three years more of Two and a Half Men and at least two for The Big Bang Theory.

While other shows sweat out the word of renewal or cancellation, Mr. Lorre seems to be CBS's prime time player they count on the most. Okay, second-most. Jerry Bruckheimer is numero uno with the CSI franchises, Without A Trace, Cold Case, Eleventh Hour and The Amazing Race.

Back to Chuck's shows, I'm actually very pleased to see The Big Bang Theory getting so much respect. It's earned it, of course, proving to be a solid ratings winner and worming its way into the heart of critics and viewers. The goofy geeky sitcom is quickly becoming as strong a lead in on Monday night as The King of Queens was.

However, when they switched Big Bang to the 9:30 slot a couple of weeks back, it did gangbuster ratings, holding the big Men lead in. That raised a lot of eyebrows and some have suggested that Bang might thrive in that spot permanently. A Chuck Lorre double-header from 9-10, so to speak.

Here's my only qualm about CBS's plans for Men and Bang. Men has been on since 2003, a fact that is abundantly clear when you look at Angus T. Jones. He's not the cute "half" he used to be. He's very funny and an asset to the show, but there's no more kid in the mix. Has the show outlived it's premise?

I think that's something Lorre could address, especially knowing he has three years with which to play. Of course, Charlie Sheen is going to need to invest in a lot more Grecian Formula.

On the other hand, Lorre has no such problem on Bang. In its second year, the sitcom is on the rise and getting better.

StillBash

I don't really see an alternative to these two shows. Why ruin something that's getting good returns?

BBT isn't the best show ever but I also watched 8 simple rules so what the hey... I hated it at first, now I simply watch it. I mean it's not a great show like "Frasier" or "Becker" (yes that's my taste) but what can I do, I'm not working at CBS and who knows what "Damages" would look like if "Becker" was still on the air...

March 03 2009 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SISSERS

Great news! Love both shows! Hope they keep 'Rules of Engagement' too. About died laughing last night watching it. Cant stand 'Worse Week', and really dont care much of 'Christine' either. Either way, I watch only CBS on Monday nights.

March 03 2009 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saya

Big Bang fan here, and I only discovered it at Christmas when my aunt told my dad about it... (but then again... we are a family of geeks - my aunt is a chemistry prof, my dad is an engineer, and I was almost a biologist before ending up on a convoluted path to librarianship by way of music)

I almost NEVER watch sitcoms...seriously I don't know that there are any that I have watched since my teens other than Big Bang (well and re-runs/dvds of M*A*S*H) - I'm almost completely a drama person... but I just love it - so yes I hope (and I think) there are enough people who do want to see BBT succeed!

(and I can't wait for the Summer Glau episode - though I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some Firefly/Serenity references in with all the Sarah Connor references)

March 03 2009 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Saya's comment
Todd

I watch both shows and really like Big Bang, but a lot can happen in 3 years. I assume there has got to be some fine print in that contract.

March 03 2009 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

BBT is a fun show. It's good to see the network support the show.

March 03 2009 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

I am SO happy about Big Bang Theory. It's the best show currently on television and I can't get enough of it so I'm really glad to hear that they're giving us more. Yey!

March 03 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I've watched Big Bang from the start, and I just got hooked on Two And A Half Men in the last year or two (probably because of Big Bang, come to think of it).

Chuck's shows are great, but his holier-than-thou vanity cards have got to go.

March 03 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

That is great news. I'm love watching Big Bang Theory but I never watch Two and a Half Men (mainly because I can't stand Charlie Sheen). Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that How I Met Your Mother is renewed. I can't imagine it not.

March 03 2009 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This is great news! More so in terms of Big Bang Theory. Two and Half Men has started getting stale in my opinion. BBT on the other hand remains smart, funny, and a geek's delight.

March 03 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

WOW! Are there really enough people that watch Big Bang to warrant a renewal, or is the network just kissing Chuck's ass? I mean, the show is okay, but I don't have it on my DVR. If there's nothing else on I'll watch it...

Color me surprised. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

March 03 2009 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply