July 31, 2014

Heroes: Exposed

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 3rd 2009 1:55PM
Heroes -
(S01E18)
Now that's how you do it. Heroes was founded on the idea of this multifarious cast running all over the place and getting into trouble. We skipped all around, checking in on everyone and the hours just seemed to fly by. After what was a slower outing last week, the adrenaline kicked back into high gear. Rebel made a return appearance, if by appearance I mean more text on various computer screens ... and that is what I mean? Is it Ma Petrelli? Nathan asked her that point blank tonight.

And poor Nathan. You kind of knew the Hunter was going to be a bit much for Nathan to control. After all, Nathan is wanting to round up those with abilities for their own good as well as for the good of mankind. He wants to protect them and the world at large. In a sense, he's doing a "good" thing, if only from his perspective. The Hunter, on the other hand, sees them as a threat that needs to be eliminated. They're dangerous, and after his close encounter last week he's gone and made it personal.

Sylar & "Kid Sylar"
I guess it'd be better to call him "Kid Wannabe." I'm still not sure why Sylar brought him along, unless it was so his exposition about his burgeoning memories regarding his father wouldn't require him to be talking to himself. The kid should be eternally grateful that Sylar didn't kill him. My guess is we're not quite done with Luke yet. As for Sylar's father, we found out why Sylar chooses to kill people the way he does. He may not have gotten the telekinesis from his dad, but he certainly got his forehead slashing technique. Ah, suppressed memories.

Clearly, Sylar is a chip off the old block after all. I am curious as to why he was sold to this other family, but I guess we'll get there. I was glad to get back to this storyline, as Zachary Quinto is one of the strongest actors on the show and can dominate a scene with just one sideways glance; he had several tonight.

Matt & Peter
With Mohinder captured, the three stooges were down to two. And at the rate they're getting captured, Peter's going to need to find some new friends, and soon. What are Hiro and Ando doing? The quest for Daphne continued to night with Peter picking up Matt's powers so the two could infiltrate Hunter HQ. It's always fun to see Matt using his powers, as he's really one of the most powerful heroes we have. Unfortunately, concentration is apparently a huge problem. In the end, Matt winds up captured so Peter can escape.

Nathan & The Hunter
Nathan is quickly losing control of this situation. The Hunter has been defying him in little ways up until now, but last night it was a blatant disregard for Nathan's wishes. You could see the pain on Nathan's face as things began to fall apart around him. He had the best of intentions, per his own skewed perception, and now one pasty, tiny, sickly-looking little man was going to take it all away from him.

The question is if the Hunter has his own agenda. Peter was pretty clear about leaking the footage of the "heroes" being rounded up, hooded and put on a plane to the press if Daphne and Matt weren't delivered to him (what about Tracy and Mohinder, Pete?). Besides, you saw it yourself. Daphne wasn't even at that facility anymore. Oh, Peter.

Regardless, the Hunter set Peter up for a fall. It was only Nathan's usage of HRG's loyalty and the knowledge that Peter still had Matt's ability that allowed Peter to survive a sniper shot. Too bad bull-headed Peter has to question everything or he might have avoided getting shot entirely. But in the end, the video and data was released to the press. In a sense this at leasts outs our cast as "persons of interest" if the press decided to reveal names. At the least, it throws the operation right into public scrutiny.

Aqualad & The Bennets
There wasn't much to this storyline. I think the agents parked outside were a little aggressive, considering. They basically forced their way into the house for an impromptu search and then accosted the family pulling out of the driveway. And, of course, all of this with no warrant. Such rampant abuses of the Patriot Act!

Claire keeps falling for boys with abilities and then they just drop out of her life. Flying boy disappeared and never came back, and now Aqualad is off to god knows where. And it looks like the Bennett household is the first stop in the new Underground Railroad.

Finale
Clearly the Hunter has decided to use the public to sway his own agenda of more forcefully dealling with peole with abilities. It would, however, be more effective to have someone cause death and destruction with their ability rather than with a bomb strapped to their chest. As it stands now, Matt will look like just another terrorist. Sure he can be linked to one of those people on the plane, but the abilities factor is eliminated. Unless that's the Hunter's gambit. He just wants these people to be seen as terrorists. That would be easier for the public to swallow.

I don't know if it's his cool name, David H. Lawrence XVII, or just how freaking creepy his Puppetmaster character is, but I was thrilled when I saw his name flash during the opening credits. Having Rebel send him to Claire for help opens up a whole can of worms. I'm sure she's not really very forgiving of what he put her and her mothers through, but it also sheds a whole new light on the storyline. Heroes and Villians are equals now in the eyes of this task force. So what is the right thing to do? Not to mention that he can still totally own her with is ability if he chooses to.

Observations
  • Okay, I don't live in California, but where I live we've come a long way from a laminated driver's license with an inserted photograph. It's all high-tech and credit card like. Tricks learned when a forty-something woman was in her teens would no longer apply for making a fake ID.
  • Hey, Aqualad! There's a difference between breathing for someone and sucking face. Yeah, I'm onto you.
  • A car inside a half-wall in a busy, dirty diner for decades would probably have more dust on it than that.
  • I'm glad they've made Ma Bennett a strong and valuable character in her own right.

joeT

Why is everyone guessing who's Syler's dad? Smallville's John Glover (Lionel Luthor) was cast as his father.

March 04 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey

Was it just me, or was Missy Peregrym in one of the booths in the diner flashback sequence? If it's not her, it's someone who looks an awful lot like her.

March 04 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesus

Lame episode imo. Peter never learns not to trust people. His dad, Nathan, Nathan again. Set up time and again.

But regarding the kid with Clair in the pool...I thought he was trying to prevent too many air bubbles from floating up by kissing her, not give her air. But that was just my take.

March 03 2009 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I thought this episode was pretty lame (except for any part with sylar) I was actually making up my own songs for scenes "close up on matt, close up on peter, close up on the dudes want to control!" I hate matts "gettin in yer brain" look, it looks like he is squelching a fart.

March 03 2009 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

Maybe I'm alone in this- I have thought Heroes was fine, not including the second season:( But I thought this episode stunk.

Clare and aquaboy kissing underwater
(BTW he does look like peter, do you think they are trying to capitalize on their real life relationship?) He also really resembled Sylar, which I would think would make her not want to be around him. And you know they were going to do something with the underwater thing- and it turned out to be something gimmicky.

Sylar's flashback with the red blood? more gimmick.

I love Matt, but they way he kept looking into the camera with that smug nod- it just made me mad. And Peter- did he lose some brainpower along with all the rest of his power?

Geez. Either I was just in a bad mood, or all these characters are just starting to annoy the cr@p out of me.

HOWEVER. I am going to keep watching no matter how bad I think it is. So here is my prediction of who rebel is- Hannah (Gintman?) the email girl- in cahoots with HRG.

March 03 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brin

It would be a little Deus Ex Machina (even for Heroes), but has anyone considered that Wireless could be Rebel? Sure, she disappeared mid-mission and without explanation back in Season 1, but mysteriously IMing someone was how she was introduced. That's what she DOES.

March 03 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brin's comment
Tri

That's what I thought as well. I think its either her or Micah + Ma Petrelli (he communicates, she directs).

March 09 2009 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

It was good to see Taylor Cole again. I immediately recognized her from her work on Summerland.

March 03 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Does anyone else think that Aqualad Alex bears a striking resemblance to Peter? Maybe Claire has uncle issues.

I also think that Micah is Rebel too. The way he just popped up on the computer screen giving warnings to get out of the building was very Matrix-esque which I totally dug. I'll be very much put out if it turns out to be anyone other than Micah.

Hmm...now that I think of it this episode was totally for all the geeks out there.
1. The aforementioned Matrix nod.
2. Matt Parkman using his own form of the Jedi mindtrick on his attackers
3. X-Men United-how the Puppetman is teaming up with the "good" guys against Nathan's brut squad a la X-Men and The Brotherhood vs. Mutant Registration Act

March 03 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BF

I think its possible that Sylar DID get his TK from his dad, he just never realized it.

It has been established that Sylar can get powers through empathy and that his TK was a little bit different (he kept that even though he lost the rest). This just explains it.

He didn't really need to take Bryan Davis' TK in season 1, he had picked it up through his father a long time ago, but never accessed it Peter Petrelli-season 1-style until he lost all of his acquired powers.

I think its kind of a cool turn of events.

March 03 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Another thing about the California license, Lyle is under 18. The license only had the one provisionary bar on it, red for "not 21 until this date". In California, we have 2, one red, and one blue saying "not 18 until this date". Claire is older than Lyle, and she's only 17.
Just a minor note, and if they're laminating id's, then they aren't very worried about accuracy, but it was just something that bugged me.

March 03 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply