October 31, 2014

Reaper: A New Hope (season premiere)

by Debra McDuffee, posted Mar 3rd 2009 10:05PM
Sock, Sam and Ben on Reaper(S02E01) "Shut your mouth, that's my sister! I have dibs." -- Sock, to Ben who referred to Sock's stepsister as "smokin' hot"

Reaper's back, and our resident lovable losers are in full form: homeless (evicted from their apartment), jobless (though they get them back with a little blackmail), Sam's in the doghouse with Andi, and it's just another devilish day at The Work Bench.

That all may add up to a typical episode of Reaper for you, but they've taken a couple of steps to bring this show to the next level, as well as bringing us everything we loved so much about the first season.

It was hard to tell where they were going to go with the back story, but for now, it looks like Sam is the Devil's son and he still wants out of his contract. Enter Alan, played by Sean Patrick Thomas, who seemingly has succeeded in just that. Sam cannot send him back to Hell; therefore, he assumes he's gotten out of his deal with the Devil. It looks as though Sam and Andi are making it a mission to find this guy and get his secret, so that Sam can do the same thing. Hopefully, this plot device will keep Andi in the loop without being just a source of argument for Sam. That grew tiresome in season one.

And congratulations, Sock -- you've got a baby sister! A very hot baby sister... Played by Eriko Tamura, the guys all end up moving into Sock's house with her. So far, it's hilarious, giving us tidbits like the tickle fight. Let's hope they keep this up -- no confessing your love for her, Sock; let us just laugh at you please.

So that's the new stuff. The old stuff? Sam gets a job from the Devil, to send 20... no 40... Fight Club-like souls back to Hell -- with a cattle prod that needs recharging between zaps. The guys plan for this in the best way possible -- they get drunk. Their biggest soul-eradicating challenge yet to date, and they plan for it by drinking, gorging on pizza and playing strip poker (um, with no chicks? Talk about a bromance....).

The premiere did a nice job setting up the new season. We know we'll be getting plenty of what we love about Reaper, but with two new characters to spice things up a bit and hopefully take us deeper into the humor, but also into Sam's back story.

Other things worth mentioning:
  • Blackmailing Ted to get their jobs back ... funny stuff.
  • Sam tries to summon the Devil, but when he showed up and Sam thinks that it worked, the Devil says, "Not so much sport, I just wanted to tell you that your pentagram is actually a star of David. Mazel tov!"
  • The Devil tells Sam he looks like a fairy princess with the cattle prod, but they don't let that joke die. Later, to the tune of "The Sugar Plum Fairy," Sam gets lowered down to the souls' lair Mission Impossible-style, cattle prod in hand. A riot.
  • Sam gets the souls by soaking them down and touching the cattle prod to the puddle. Somehow Sam always pulls it out of his butt last minute.

iyambirdie

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! how could reaper return and no one told me. need internet access to first episode "a new hope" i LOVE this show!

thanks in advance.

March 12 2009 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

loved it!!!

March 05 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catko

Love Reaper, it's back! Great review, and happy to see so many fans here. Can't wait to see what happens with the Escaped Soul.

March 04 2009 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bamboo

I was wondering where Gladys was too.

I am so glad this show is finally back. I moved this summer to a new state/cable provider, and just realized at 7:30 last night I had no idea what channel the CW was here. I spent 20 mins. searching everywhere, and almost ended up calling Time Warner Tech support, but finally found it was channel 911. I'm not joking, it is channel 911. Why on earth is it way out there in the middle of no where, I have no idea.

But I'm glad it's finally back on, and my wife and I both laughed a lot. An that is considering a lot of the show was arguing and down time with Andi. Now that they made up, I bet future shows will be back to even more laughs.

March 04 2009 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evocatus

amazing episode. incest jokes are always funny

March 04 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeDiva

Was it just me, or did they not show the vessel being turned in? After Sam handed over the vessel and got whacked by Alan with it, I'd thought that Alan was going to somehow release the souls or some such.

March 04 2009 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LeDiva's comment
Chris

Your right, they didn't go to Gladys.

March 04 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puffin

A baby as a beer company's logo.... pure comedy gold. Love this show and I'm glad it's back.

March 04 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blue Shotgun Radio

It was great to see Reaper back in the lineup last night. Looking forward to another season with the wise-cracking, demon-hunting trio.

Brian from Blue Shotgun Radio
317-565-4250

March 04 2009 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

"Mazel Tov" Priceless!

Ray Wise deserves an Emmy - he absolutely makes this show

March 04 2009 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam I Am

I just wanted to say that for the longest time I have been trying to figure out what had been missing in my life. Well I remembered tonight after watching the season premiere of Reaper. This show is pure genius and puts a smile on my face everytime I watch it. I work afternoons and don't watch any TV shows at all. But I refuse to miss this show. Thank god for satellite. I get to watch the feed on KTLA out of California. I can't believe they are considering cancelling this show. The cast is unbelievable and I can only compare it to Seinfeld in terms of chemistry. I really think CW11 has to promote this show a whole lot better before it's too late. If tonight was any indication of how this season will unfold, the show will surely gain alot of steam as the season goes on. To all the people who read this blog, especially in the US, please, please, please watch this show and boost the ratings. This show is far too good to become another casualty of bad marketing.

March 04 2009 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sam I Am's comment
BC McKinney

The CW wants to be the teenage girls' network, so even if this show got great ratings it doesn't fit the demo they want. Maybe if the guys were hotter and more emo...that could be kind of funny, actually. Maybe a cable network will decide they can make the show work for them, but I lack hope.

March 04 2009 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply