December 20, 2014

Who might be guest-starring in the Star Trek movie?

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 3rd 2009 12:00PM
Star TrekChalk this up as rumor-ville, but it would be damned exciting if it was true. Some familiar faces may be finding their way to the J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboot in theaters this coming May.

These are pretty major spoilers, so I'm leaving them until after the jump. But the news does sound intriguing...

Members of the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew may find themselves in the reboot. It would make sense if they were involved. First, old Spock (played by the original Leonard Nimoy) has to get into the past somehow. Second, their appearance would serve as a sort of "passing of the torch" back to this crew.

If this rumor is true, then the ST:TNG crew member for which a cameo would make the most sense would be Captain Picard. He is, after all, the central icon of the show other than the ship itself. Data would also be a possibility (despite seemingly dying in the last movie).

One can only hope this rumor has merit. Looking forward to May.

Tim McCleese

But Data did die in that last movie....

March 04 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cap

I don't think it's Picard, so my guess is Data. Unless they are talking about Chris Doohan. Hmmm

March 04 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

As someone who has been watching Star Trek since the commercials advertising it in the summer of 1966, it's a bit amusing to see folks getting all riled up over "canon." It's almost as if Trek has acquired an almost Biblical stature with someone suggesting that Genesis be rewritten to reflect Darwinian evolutionary thinking. Trek, for all the absolute enjoyment I have received since that summer and fall when it first hit the TV set, is still "fiction." It was conceived as entertainment. What entertains us may change - indeed it must change - to reflect the times we live in. Simply apply the concepts expressed by the Vulcan IDIC for some enlightenment. Will I like this version? It would be presumptious to assume a yes or no to that question until I see it, but I do know I'll go into the theater anticipating entertainment. If that doesn't happen, it's irrelevant whether it follows canon or not.

March 03 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Michael

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more. Trek is such a fan favorite that with the hundreds of different novels (both "real" and "fan") pretty much EVERYONE has played fast and loose with ST canon. Everyone has their own idea of what ST universe "exists" outside of the three years of the original series and the subsequent films. Beyond that, well the sky's the limit (no pun intended).

Personally, I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams and I'm very much looking forward to seeing his version of some familiar characters. I've loved what I've seen so far in the trailers and I feel like it will breathe new life into the series. I've been a fan since 1966 and lets face it - it has lost a lot of the luster over the years. Time has not been kind to ST (is it to anyone?) and forty plus years after the fact, we deserve an injection of fresh ideas. Your point using IDIC is spot on - it's all good.

March 03 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

Only an idiot would not have Shatner in this movie. If it's as convoluted as Abrams other stuff, this could drive a stake into the Trek franchise.

March 03 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Reading the background info on the comic prequel, it will make a lot of sense that Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart have a cameo. Knowing more about the script, I am a bit more optimistic of this new movie (which I hope will be the last by Abrams).

March 03 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Edward's comment
CDB

What do you mean? Why would you want this to be Abram's last film? Do you think he's better at television, he's just a crappy director, or do you just mean you hope this is his last Star Trek film? Why?

March 03 2009 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Yes, keep him away from Star Trek. The last thing the Star Trek franchise needs is a big name trying to undo the canon of a franchise.

March 03 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kernel Dan

May 8th Can't come soon enough!

March 03 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mando

IDW is publishing a a comic book (Star Trek: Countdown) which is supposed to serve as a lead-in/prequel to the movie. It introduces Nero, and prominently features old Spock, Picard as the Federation ambassador to Vulcan and Data as the captain of the Enterprise. His "resurrection" is also explained in the comic book. So those three being somewhere in the movie would make sense.

March 03 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply