September 20, 2014

Sarah Silverman gets saved by 'gay TV channel'

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 4th 2009 9:03AM
Once again, people, I'm forced to asked the question, what the hell is going on here? Has black become white? Has up replaced down? Has Rush Limbaugh been saying he wishes Barack Obama all the best, while Janeane Garofalo is caught trying to start a fire in the White House rose garden?

The makers of The Sarah Silverman Program have been in a standoff with Comedy Central over their latest budget negotiations. Thankfully, a deal was reached and the show will return for another season, but the deal was even bigger than the budget they called into question.

Well, no one ever said you had to be good at math to run a major network, or any of the other basic requirements for passing standardized testing, for that matter. Fred Silverman's parents, for instance, had to hire their boy a special tutor so he could pass finger painting.

The show had been halted for the last four days, or as Reuters described it a "four-day day standoff" (sic) (I'm one to talk about typos, right, every editor I've ever worked for in the history of the universe?), because the producers had been butting heads over budget concerns. Viacom was only willing to give them $850,000 an episode, which apparently is not enough to run over strangers who look like Osama Bin Laden and sing about poop.

Then one of the network heads came up with a compromise. Comedy Central could share the costs of production with their sister network, Logo, the only network where the term "sister" can take on more than one meaning.

So now the producers not only have their show back, but they have an even bigger budget than last year. This means the staff can get back to work and get started on the third season set to air sometime in 2010. I knew Obama's stimulus package would come through for us.

lou.dalmaso

#4
"anal retentive "..something else that might have more than one meaning?

I KEEED, I KEEED

March 04 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

You kinda said it already - it costs $850k to sing songs about poop and tape sarah silverman talking to her dog in bed?

Isn't Sarah Silverman the type of person who would want to have her own TV show, such that she's not doing anyone any favors by taking the time to do the show? I'm not saying she shouldn't be paid, but it's not like they begged her to do her own, eponymous TV show when she had so many other things to be doing. So she shouldn't be paid too much. If she were paid 150,000 per season, which is only a few episodes, I'd say she's grossly overpaid. But I bet a big chunk of that 850k/episode is her per-episode salary... they're probably giving her at least 150k per episode, which is ridiculous. And I like Sarah Silverman a lot. Although she needs to have her show someplace like HBO or SHO where it's uncensored - her Comedy Central show just isn't all that funny. I'd love to see her given an uncensored show, where she could really be herself.

March 04 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
Karen

Why would $150k an episode be ridiculous. She is worth whatever the company is willing to pay her because it is a business that makes money off of her.

I'm sooo tired of the haters.

OH, and generally I don't even like SS, but if others do, and she makes good money, I surely don't resent her for it.

March 04 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GM

That's OK, Obama will soon be taxing income over $150,000 at 90% again. She will get to keep $100,000 of the first episode's income, and $15,000 for each episode after that. I'm looking forward to it! Hollywood helped elect him, so I think they should pay the price of his victory.

March 08 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Doesn't the news usually come before the break and the analysis after? I like it that way better because then I can just use my feed reader if I just want to know what's happened.

March 04 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

A Fred Silverman reference! Nicely done.

March 04 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey

Logo is also a network where "stimulus" can take on more than one meaning. But I digress...

March 04 2009 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to tracey's comment
Galley

That's good news. Now Brian can afford to buy more TaB!

March 04 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply