American Idol: Judges' Wild Card

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 6th 2009 12:15AM
American Idol - Von SmithThis episode raised the hopes of a few, while simultaneously dashing the hope of many. For some, I shudder to think what they did after the show (cough*Tatiana*cough).

There are three places left in the top 12 ... or... are there ... ? If you haven't watched the show yet, I guess you'll have to read to the end of this review to find out just how many people are actually in the top 12. Until then, the eight singers chosen to come back in the judges' Wild Card Round sang their little hearts out. Let's see how they fared ...

Jesse Langseth starts things off by singing "Tell Me Something Good." Her voice is bluesy, and she looks hot, too. You can tell she's really trying to bring it, and while Randy likes the song, he doesn't think she sang it that well. Kara likes her swagger. Paula is impressed with her tenacity and determination, and says she has a lot of soul. Simon says she's the last girl they chose for the Wild Card Round, and she sang a lot better than last time. But he thinks the song choice is "slightly indulgent." I have no idea what the judges mean when they say that, and Simon must be reading my mind, because he explains that it's all about the singer, when it should be about the judges. Wait...what?! In fact, WTF?! Moving right along...

Matt Giraud
sings "Who's Lovin' You" by the Jackson Five. He rocks it pretty well with a bluesy, jazzy vocal and looks like he's having a blast. So far, the singers -- all two of them -- seem like they're really doing their best, even if it's not good enough to get through. I mean, they've only got a couple minutes to seal the deal, so they'd better make it count. Kara thanks him for bringing back the bluesy, soulful Matt they know and love. Paula says he did an amazing job and was happy he picked a better song than Coldplay, which he did previously and it just wasn't cool, dude. Simon says it was "a billion" times better than last time, but he hates what he's wearing and sees bits of Taylor Hicks coming through. Hard to tell if that's an insult or a compliment coming from Simon.

Megan Corkrey
sings "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," one of my favorite songs ever since I heard Katherine McPhee sing it on Idol a couple seasons ago. Paula says she picked the right song and had fun with it. Simon says he's always liked her, he still likes her, and "it was terrific." Randy says it wasn't the best vocal, but good song choice. Kara says the competition needs her - someone unique and different.

Von Smith
sings "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word," which seems like a dreary song to me, sort of a 3 a.m. nightclub song, but whatever. This is the first night I've really even paid attention to him, and he has a great voice. But alas, Simon agrees (with me) that the song is too serious, and Von is becoming "a bit boring." Randy says the higher notes were good, but the song choice is too dark. Paula says he's a brilliant singer, but doesn't let "the true essence of Von Smith out" when he's too concerned about the notes and technique.

Jasmine Murray
sings "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera. Jasmine has a beautiful voice and looks hot in a pink-fuscia tulip-inspired dress. I really didn't even remember her, but she does a great job. Randy says she's 100% improved, but thinks the song is a little too big for her. Kara was surprised that she had that big of a voice, and Paula says that while a few notes were off, she did a wonderful job. Simon says it was pretty special, and thinks she just put herself back in the running.

Ricky Braddy
sings "Superstitious" and seems to have a lot of fun with it. He's dressed like Justin Timberlake, and I'm not sure it totally works. The song is good, but I don't think I'll remember it in five minutes. Kara says he loosened up and showed his personality. Paula says he nailed it and had fun. Simon says it seemed a bit karaoke, lightweight, and "clumsy." Randy says he definitely has a voice and "can really blow," but he thinks the song is a little self-indulgent. That word again. Readers, tell me what you think that means.

Tatiana Del Toro
is next, and says she's in love with everyone and everything (in a weird accent - I think she's channeling Jorge for votes). She sings "Saving All My Love For You," and does a fair job, but it's pitchy (to me). But she's wearing Paula's jewelry, which I'm sure is scoring points with her. After the performance, Paula says Tatiana "grew an accent" she'd never heard before, and now she's all confused. Simon says she's sang this song three times now, and will she just keep singing the same song over and over? Tatiana says she didn't have time to prepare another song in one day. "Rubbish," says Simon.

Randy says it started rough, but it's a mixed bag of tricks that included good moments and bad moments. Kara says it's like The Adventures of Tatiana. They never know who's going to show up. After the judges comments, there's a horribly awkward moment where she's on her knees next to Seacrest, and he tells her she can stay there and it's all just, whoa, I've got kids watching, people.

Anoop Desai sings "My Prerogative." I know people like him, but tonight he seems like a 7-year-old kid in his brother's room with the shampoo bottle for a microphone. I'm not as sold on Anoop as some people are. Simon calls him an "enthusiastic dog." He says it wasn't the best vocals, but he has personality, which might get him through to the top 12. Randy says, "Dawg, I think you did better this time than you did last time." Kara says this is the best he's ever done, and she wanted to get up and dance. Paula says he's a showman, "whipping out moves that are a little nasty there."

After the break, the judges have made their choices, and Jasmine is up first. Randy says "sad to say, Jasmine ... you're going to be seeing a lot of us. Welcome to the top 12!" Lord, I hate it when they do that, because it's so cheesy. And I'm a little surprised that she made it through, because she wasn't all that memorable to me, but whatever.

Ricky
is quickly given the boot, and Megan and Tatiana are up next together. Paula says they've decided to put Megan through, which causes Tatiana to practically have a nervous breakdown right there. She drags herself over to the judges' stand, and Paula tries to console her as best she can, telling her she loves her. Perhaps they'll do a QVC spot together.

Jesse
is next, and Simons says she didn't make it, but that she NEARLY made it, which confuses her for a minute until he clarifies. Von is up next and quickly ousted.

Matt and Anoop take the stage together, and Simon says Matt made it through. Then as Anoop is leaving the stage, Simon says he ALSO made it through. Yes, the judges have decided to make this a "Top 13." Good Lord. And still no Ju'Not. And I'm worried for Tatiana at this point, because there's no telling what she might do, now that she wasn't the 13th person.

Next week, Kanye West and Kelly Clarkson will be on the show. Until then, keep it real, Dawgs.

Of the Top 13, who has the best chance of winning?
Anoop Desai356 (4.4%)
Kris Allen61 (0.8%)
Allison Iraheta355 (4.4%)
Jorge Nunez205 (2.5%)
Scott Macintyre494 (6.1%)

American Idol' Season 8 Results

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I like this guy more than [David] Cook, he is just more energetic and he owned the night."

-- Lindahbird

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "We all know that Norman will not win 'Idol,' but I'm glad that he was in the Top 36, and he does have a good voice! He was very entertaining and funny, and I'm glad that he was chosen for Top 36! He will probably get some gigs in Hollyweird! I actually voted for him, ha ha!"

-- PinkSunset77

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Allison Iraheta Makes the Top 12
    "She is just awesome ... there is so much talent in that 16-year-old ... just amazing!! She really is my favorite so far. But it has been a tough couple of weeks as far as song choice!!!"

-- DEBBIE8863

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Kris Allen Makes the Top 12
    "He's cute and I liked him but I thought that Matt had more potential."

-- BESTBUNNY10

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I honestly don't think Norman is the least bit funny. I think he is making a huge joke out of 'American Idol.' There are 35 other contestants that are being serious and really trying and then there is Norman."

-- Bpadra

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Megan Corkrey Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I knew I liked this wild card thing. Megan will be back."

-- PETCRAB

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I didn't care for him at all. I thought he was way over the top and way too theatrical for that song. I'm sure he'll get through. I'll be interested to see what he does when they have themes. Maybe he'll grow on me, but right now I would put him second or third behind some of the other ones I've heard."

-- JandeCBS

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Danny Gokey Makes the Top 12
    "When [Danny] and Tatiana were called up, he had the cockiest look on his face.
    Like he's a really good singer, but whenever I see him, I just think about how cocky he looks."

-- RoshanMcG

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Alexis Grace Makes the Top 12
    "Alexis is the whole package! So cute ... with such a big voice."

-- clammy1954

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Michael Sarver Makes the Top 12
    "I don't really get the appeal. I mean, he's a likeable guy, but as a performer, he just doesn't seem that good to me. I definitely thought Ricky and Anoop sounded better."

-- TGirl1045

Fox

Carla

I really liked Ju not Joyner and was disappointed he didn't make it into the wild card round. Obviously the best singers weren't chosen. As far as the ones who were chosen to sing again--Jasmine was not the best either time she sang, yet still there she is in the top 13. Hmm...why? Some power house singers were let go and not even considered for the wild card round--Kristen for one. I get that they're looking for the "whole package" but I've also seen some good singers develop their look as the competition moved along--Jennifer Hudson was one of those. Remember her God awful outfits in the beginning. Anoop--very overrated, I haven't heard him sing on key yet. And I also heard Simon mention casting. When I heard that I thought to myself--we always knew this was just a TV show--now Simon admitted, it has nothing to do with singing talent, they're looking for mass appeal and casting a line-up people will watch every week. I only wish they would have given some of the better singers a chance to develop their look and personality. It's been fun to see that happen over the weeks of the show in seasons past. Now we have to decide it some of them can even carry a tune throughout their performance as they passed up singers that actually could sing better. The public is not so dumb as they think we are so it was good Simon finally admitted what they're doing. I'll also add--if that dueling piano guy didn't make it through and yet Jasmine did...ugly scarf on his neck or not, I was really going to be angry. That guy can sing! Too bad all their choices weren't for the best singer, but for mass audience appeal.

March 08 2009 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Leroy
Just want to respond to your comments on tattooed Idol performers. Or course I cant speak for others, but for myself, I dont "hate" people for their tatooes, and I am not "frightened" by them. I just find them unsightly, its as simple as that. I have seen tats that were artistic and beutifully done, some that were creative and original and interesting. On the other hand, I have also seen some that just looked like a huge blotch of ink, as well as some that looked like they were done by a semi-literate third grader with a defective ink pen. What I have never seen is a tat that I would like to have on my body for the rest of my life.
It is all a matter of personal taste and opinion.If someone wants to put a tatoo on their body, it is none of my business, and they have every right to do so. People who have tatooes need to be aware that, right or wrong, it is human nature to evaluate others based on their appearance. The way you dress, carry yoursef, do your hair, apply your makeup, shave or not shave your beard, the jewelry you wear, and any number off other choices we make regarding our appearance tell others about the way you are presenting yourself to the world. It reflects on your style, taste, personality, judgement and many other things. If someone has a small, discrete tatoo, it says one thing about them, if they have their face covered in tatooes it says quite another.
Frequently you will hear advocates of tatooes complaining about how "narrow minded" people judge them based on their tatooes and the choice they made in getting them. Yet, these people are being just as narrow minded and judgemental about their supposed critics, based solely on their opion of and reaction to this single issue. It is really just two sides of the same coin.
If you want to get tatooed, it is your right and your business. But the reality of life is that actions have consequences. If you cant deal with the consequences, maybe you should rethink the action.

March 08 2009 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

While I'm on the subject of prejudice anyway, I have to add that I don't understand all the hate aimed at people (particularly females) with tattoos in TV Squad discussions of Idol. They're almost mandatory in the world of pop music these days. Why do they frighten you so much you can't even listen objectively to the singing of those who have them?

March 07 2009 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

I'm so glad the drama queen didn't make it to the final 13. Ricky should have been picked over Megan. He does have a great voice and a personality on stage. I hope some record producer was watching and will give him the chance he deserves. I agree that the judges have their favorites, and they already have the next winner picked out.

March 06 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ele Wallaace

When did Simon say he was responsible for casting? I missed that part. Oh, and about Megan...the first time she sang for the votes, she looked like she was either churning butter or doing incorrect fast knee bends. She was bobbing up and down horribly. She will NEVER win or even come close. Adam is a mix of George Michaels, Mic Jagger, and Michael Jackson with the exception that Adam is VERY good looking. I love his dark hair and haircut style. He is sexy but I didn't know he was gay. Well, you learn something new everyday. He still has talent. Surprised he is still allowed on the show since he has performed professionally in a manner of speaking, doing theatre and all that. I guess since no one ever signed him to a recording contract he is fair game. Let's see what happens. And to those who are razzing Scott, remember the great blind legends...Stevie Wonder, and Ray Charles just to name a few. When Stevie Wonder was young, he stood up and his head was winding around all over the place. He still does that now to some extent. Ray Charles also used quite a bit of body movement and HE was a legend unequalled by anyone!
Scott will get votes if he sings well and not for sympathy. The only one who really grabs me and grabs me good is that blusey, soulful guy. But I love the soulful Blues. I LOVED Taylor Hicks, LOVED HIM! Give me someone who sings like Joe Cocker, Bob Segel or Otis Redding anyday.

March 06 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ele Wallaace

I don't think I have ever seen a worse person who annoyed me so much as Tatiana. Even Sanjaya who was bizarre to say the least was angelic compared to this drama queen who didn't even know what language she should speak. If she had acted normally, she might have had a very good chance since her voice is great but I wouldn't watch her EVER because of the way she acts. It's just too annoying and I don't get annoyed that easily. She is a complete trainwreck! Beautiful, yes, Talented, yes but she needs to be in a Sanitarium. So very sad. How much you want to bet we read in the not to distant future that she has committed suicide? Maybe she will get a part in a play called the "Seven Faces of Tatiana".

March 06 2009 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julia Pazos

I think that the judges are the ones that have the last say, the program is called American Idol, but not because the Idol depends on America votes, if it were so, the winner wouldn't be the best singer or best package , it woul be the choice of the fans, even if the winner is or is not the best, it depends only in who they like.

March 06 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

Phish,
I think you got it a little wrong. Now that Obamanation ADDED 2.5 TRILLION to Bushes deficit, I hope America WILL learn from their mistakes, but I highly doubt from your commits.

America will decide, and there will be a lot of yapping about who did and who did not get voted off. Let's just hope we can VOTE OBAMA off the island (america)

March 06 2009 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

Ok So Im still a little annoyed that Ju'not did not make it in after that fiasco last night. Meagan?????? please ~ they just wanted a hot blonde with tats in the mix. They NNNEEEEEEDDDDD an interesting group or no one will watch. I say they shouldve put Tatiana in there - she's cute - very misunderstood I think. She has a great voice and I hope someone else out there in musicland picks up on that. So what she's a bit dramatic....who isnt these days. Thats my 2 cents and Im stickin' with it!

March 06 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

last night was a great show! for having such a weird process to get to the top 12, the wild card really did give it their all.

jesse was alright, she has a nice bluesy tone to her voice but she's just so damn annoying. last week after she performed she would not stop talking when the judges critqued her. so i'm glad she's gone.

matt was AWESOME! my second favorite performance of the night. he's got such an amazing voice, i think he could definitely be a dark horse in this competition.

personally, i don't really get megan. i mean, i can understand why people like her voice but i dont think it's strong enough to get her far. i also wish she'd stop wearing her easter dresses with that ridiculous tattoed arm, she reminds me of Carly last season when every week she'd wear something sleeveless. not many wanna see those crazy arms.

THANK GOD von smith is gone, i can't stand him! he is so creepy looking, like a mix between a gremlin and an elf or something. he was creepy to look at, and his voice was so annoying he would just scream the whole time. so glad he's gone, next!

alright jasmine honestly isn't that good. they only like her because she's cute. that's not what american idol should be. this year i feel like they're so focused on "the commercial look" and selling these people rather than praising them for their actual talent. sure she can sing better than i ever will but i just wish they wouldnt base a competition about singing off of looks.

i am so sad ricky is gone! what a nice guy with a great voice. sure that song wasn't exactly up his alley, but whatever he's still awesome. he was the ju'not of the wild card round, what a rip off!

oh tatiana, she sure has been the talk of the season. who else will there be to make fun of now that she's gone? i'll admit, beefy (have you seen her legs?!) can sing, but she's been taking waaaaaay too much of paula's pills. chill out girl, seriously she's psycho. i'm sure ryan will miss her...

NOOOOOP DOOOOOOG! favorite performance of the night! i am completely sold on anoop, i love him! i know some don't but he is so good! he's got a nice voice and a great personality. we all know he's not gonna win this competition, but it'll be fun watching him for a few weeks steal the hearts of tweens away with those delectable eyebrows. he is DEFINITELY gonna be the sanjaya of the season, minus the wacked out hair.

predictions: personally i love michael sarver, but i think he might be the michael johns of this season. he'll leave too early. danny gokey is good, but he can't keep riding on his dead wife, it's gotta end soon buddy. i still love him though. lil rounds is awesome of course and will go far (sort of reminds me of latoya? minus the olive oil ritual before every show) jasmine will go quickly as well as kris allen. michael giraud and alexis grace are totally the underdog's of the season. hopefully america won't let us down with voting and will actually vote for the good people, unlike jasmine trias season 3!

March 06 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply