November 23, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Islanded in a Stream of Stars

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 6th 2009 11:54PM
Battlestar Galactica(S04E18) I know it's a little late in the game to make this sort of observation, what with the show having only two episodes left, but if I were to compare characters in this show to characters in Gilligan's Island, I would say that Six is Ginger, Eight is Mary Ann and President Roslin is Mrs. Howell. Adama would naturally be the Skipper and Tigh would be Gilligan. I'm still working on Mr. Howell and the Professor.

In the beginning of the episode, either in someone's fantasy or projection or reality, Hera is moving the Galactica in a position next to the enemy Cylon fleet. Foreshadowing?

No matter what Adama and Tigh say at the end, I can't see Galactica going down in anything but a blaze of glory against an attacking fleet. Given the coming attractions and Hera's opening chess move, that's likely what is going to happen.

It's nice to see Baltar go back to being a scientist for a moment, since that's how he started before he moved to politician and then religious icon. Perhaps it was the creators' way of noting the similarities between the three. It was also kind of retro to see Baltar and Caprica Six together again since together (along with the Cylon fleet), they are responsible for the destruction of the Colonies. It must hurt to get dissed like that by your inner angel.

Last week, I utterly hated Boomer and now I only hate her slightly less. I should have realized that she had maternal feelings based on last week's Cylon projection of a family and the fact that she and Athena are cut from the same cloth. That's undoubtedly going to be a factor in the series' climax.

Only Starbuck would have the stones to piss in front of a guy like that. Although it was kind of foolish to trust Gaius "me, then women and children, first" Baltar with such important information. Favorite line: "Regularity. That must be important when you're full of crap."

The red motif of the Cylon technology reminds me of the fact that the Cylon spine glows red whenever they have sex. How come they never pursued that earlier as a way of detecting Cylons? Just have sex with everyone on the ship and if the spine glows red, they're busted.

So Sam Anders has now become the crazy Cylon Basestar chick. Was Starbuck serious about putting that bullet in his brain? She's certainly unhinged enough to do so. The scene with her and Apollo was touching and furthers my theory of their re-hooking up.

In the wake of the end of their race, Galactica has become so lawless that they're allowing for medical marijuana. For that matter, how do they still have alcohol?

Overall, a decent episode of Galactica and excellent compared to 99% of the other crap on television at this time. I recall the ending of Babylon 5 (a similar space opera series with a similar sort of fanbase) being rather anti-climactic. I'll say it again: given all the hype behind this series, is it possible to even end it in a manner satisfactory to all the fans? We've got two more episodes to find out.

Mark G

What a complete disappointment 4.5 has been. Complete waste of time. I almost feel guilty for convincing friends to invest time in seasons 1-3, as season 4 hs been such a complete let down. 2 episodes left, keep adding stupid questions instead of resolving old ones.....Earth/Home. Peace/Death of Cylons, resolution of Cavil, Mystery of Hera, What is starback, these things should have been resolved throughout season 4.5 not all saved for the final 2 hours.......crap, total crap....RDM=complete loss of credibility. BSG = Heroes

March 12 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Excellent show, excellent episode! No disappointment here. The writing, the directing, the cast and crew...all excellent!

March 11 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

"Hera and Boomer was far more about what went unsaid in Boomer's head than what she and Hera were actually discussing"

"that one cylon 6 saving the human crewman and sealing herself outside the ship was the unstated progress".

Mike, that is excellent. Especially the observation of the heroic six. That scene said a lot.

Tom....thank you. I am glad we can all put those minor misunderstandings behind us.

March 09 2009 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

If this is the current state of writing for Galactica, a show set up on the premise of the last survivors of the human race on the run from an ancient enemy, I fear for Caprica, which has the potential to be a total soap opera from day 1.

There are just so many unanswered questions and so little time to address them. Even with a 2 hour finale, I get the feeling that the emperor has no clothes. IMO, they've totally botched the final 5, the last cylon and the search for earth. Now I'm just waiting to see if they screw up the remaining threads; Hera, Cara, Balthar's Six, Rosyln, Adama, and the the old lady herself.

March 09 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

I don't think we should write off Galactica (the ship, our girl) just yet. We've been set up, literally beaten over the head, with how she's falling apart, and going to "fold up like a book". I'm not buying it just yet. Consider... Galactica now has her very own hybrid.... the Eights wired Anders into her systems. Strange power fluctuations and cutouts, and now Kara has plugged him back in. Also the comment I heard about the properties of the Cylon resin that's being used to shore up the structure. Consider how in recent episodes how the damaged rebel Baseship has been "re-growing" damaged sections. Mark my words. "Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the first bionic Battlestar." She isn't done yet.

March 08 2009 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Alex99's comment
yuxia

Interesting notion, maybe they are crippled and turn on anders as the last resort. It would be the paradigm of what the series has been about....the survival of human beings and cylon's can only come about from hybridisation.

March 08 2009 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ro

I'm with that theory, as soon as they started laying the resin in, I thought that ship would start healing itself, especially when Tyrol told Adama that the resin was organic...My only concern is that they've filled or wasted so much time on other matters that if they do go this route, how quickly are they going to cram it in to the story with only two eps left? I suppose they can simply flash forward a few months and say it's all better... But also, from the promos it looks like they're sending the ship on a suicide mission to take out the colony, kinda confusing...

Or maybe the ship barely survives, and crash lands on back on Earth to be the future Atlantis of our current civilization...LOL!

March 09 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Tom:

There is nothing wrong with wanting action in the shows you invest your time in. I think your frustration lies in that BSG has been so good that anything less than spectaular in your eyes seems disapointing. As I mentioned over at CC, we all have had our issues with the writers from time to time, but overall what a show it has been. I am not offended by your remark on my adoration with Grace Park. In fact, I plead guilty to the fact that I probably do wear people out with my adulation for her. Tom, I honestly try to tone it down, even my offline friends (the Yancy street gang) in all their respect for me, get on me about it sometimes. But I always defy them by saying...."I have my own Goddess, get your own!) (LOL).

It is refreshing to see that you are polite in your reactions to critique on your views of the show. You have also displayed respect for other commenters such as Mike and my good friend Dorv, for example. I think you are a loyal fan. If you don't mind my imput I think your misgivings about BSG would be more readily accepted if you would direct your misgivings in a more subjective way, rather than bring the entire concept into question. As mentioned, you are a loyal fan that has been around these boards, and I am hoping we all can see this show out with the wind at our back. Save all that passion for a couple more weeks, because I am willing to bet you won't be disappointed in the last two episodes.

March 08 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
Tom

Tim, I never intended the 'shot' I took at you to be hateful. In fact, I would say what I was going for in my first few comments overall (#2-a reply, #3-commentary) was "caustic," but not hateful towards anyone. Unfortunately, remarks towards you got mixed in with what ultimately became some pretty ugly posts, for which I accept some responsibility.

March 08 2009 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

You mentioned 4 episodes of a 20 episode season. Hmmmmm.... That sounds like a punctuation of action, not a constant stream of action to me.

But if you want to talk about what's WRONG, suggesting this is all exposition is laughably incorrect.

The Colonials have created a new form of government. The only mention of it was a brief conversation between Apollo and Roslyn weeks ago.

The integration of the human and cylon crews aboard Galactica is continuing at a very fast pace. Sure, there is still anger, resentment, and distrust, but the whole point of that one Cylon 6 saving the human crewman and sealing herself outside the ship was the unstated progress.

Hera and Boomer was far more about what went unsaid in Boomer's head than what she and Hera were actually discussing.

Adama and Roslyn sparking it was profound. Not only did she get him when he was reading to her, but she eased what she had to tell him with a little weed... It wasn't because she wanted to get high, it was because she was trying to get him to abandon Galactica, his first true love. Were those things said? Well, yeah... I prefer dialogue to interpretive dance.

Kara had very little actual dialogue and over the past two episodes has transcended into another being, from a certain point of view.

Tigh is slowly but surely coming to terms with himself as a Cylon and his role as the father of their race. Did that come through in dialogue in two sequences? Yes. Again, would you have preferred finger painting to express their feelings?

Starbuck plugged Sam in and is now attempting to solve the final mystery.... a point she never could've legitimately been at emotionally if you geniuses had your "action" instead of the real meat we've been given.

March 08 2009 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

We saw it happen to Caprica with Baltar, though... Granted, she had just asked him if he loved her.

As for the whole Tom thing, whatever. I didn't hear a denial about how you felt about previous "boring" episodes. All I hear is how you folks didn't get what you expected. Boo hoo. I guess you should write your own sci-fi series, and then you can end it however you want.

This isn't the Shield, and it's never been set at the same pace.

And that's MY problem with you folks. It's not like this is new. They're doing this show exactly the same way as they've done it before. There are moments of action that punctuate the character development.

Is there more dialogue now? Hardly. Is it more confined in terms of the subjects? Of course! As you folks point out, this is the end. But is this sequence any slower than any other building sequence anywhere else in the series? Nope... and so, why are you bitching?

If you're still watching this show, and these are the first episodes you're complaining about, I don't get it. If you're still watching the show and these aren't the first episodes you're complaining about, I still don't get it. Nothing has changed. In the first season it's not like they showed us the scrolls of Pythia... they had Eloisha tell us. Did they have Helo simply go save Athena on Caprica? No, they told us the implications if he didn't. I could give a hundred examples, none from this season of being told, not shown.

The show hasn't changed, your demands on it have.

March 08 2009 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mvdelaney77's comment
malren

"The show hasn't changed, your demands on it have."

Well, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I think that is utter bullshit. I just watched "You Can't Go Home Again" and "Hand of God" recently, and before that "33" and "Water." This show is extremely different than what it was in season one. No one actually does anything anymore, they stand around and talk about doing things, then we get a commercial break, then everything is done and they're standing around talking about what just happened that the viewers never got to see.

All exposition is NOT good TV.

You are quite simply *wrong*.

March 08 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sham

Interesting point about the spines glowing red, I'd completely forgotten about it. It's interesting then that when Ellen was first rescued in season 1 and reunited with Saul that he didn't notice Ellen's glowing red spine, same goes for Boomer and Tyrol back in the first season. Maybe cylons only ever do it face to face :)

March 08 2009 at 7:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sham's comment
yuxia

maybe it only happens when conception is on the cards, we've only seen Athena and Caprica-6 do it right?

March 08 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I had not planned on commenting here anymore based on how TVS has treated this property, but some of the comments changed that.

Tom: I understand your points, but I think you've come across as a bit of a jackass (I won't speculate on whether or not you are an actual jackass, just sharing my, and probably other's, perception). Starting with calling out Tim-1 for no reason, and then continuing to attack other's who've disagreed.

If I understand you correctly, the 'action' that you're looking for is just for "more things to happen." Personally, I expected these last episodes to be of a quicker pace, but if you didn't like last week's episode, then I don't know what I can say. The growth Starbuck experienced in 42 minutes was incredible, and the overhead shot with her and Slick playing the piano, combined with the music WAS art.

Granted, I'm one of the biggest BSG apologists around here, ever (Don't believe me? Go read the comments for Black Market). But I've enjoyed this week and last week's episode more than the mutiny episodes (If for no other reason than that betrayal of Adama by his crew needed a better initiator than the weak, selfish fraction of a.... I digress).

But hey, I respect those that disagree with me.

March 08 2009 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply