September 22, 2014

Dollhouse: Gray Hour

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 7th 2009 12:50AM
Dollhouse(S01E04) Why hire an Active to be a midwife for a baby delivery? Surely a real midwife must be a lot cheaper. Unless you need a midwife that is also a champion skier that reads Sanskrit.

In the beginning, I wondered if Echo was going to be victimized by a man (or group of men) every week until she turned all master criminal on us. For some reason, I was under the impression that the Actives were only for romantic or altruistic purposes (despite the illegal nature of the business). Obviously, I was mistaken.

I can actually understand the logic of going to the Dollhouse for a master safecracker or any sort of high tech criminal activity. People who can perform those activities are legitimately rare and expensive. With the Dollhouse, you get a one-stop-shop for all your illegal needs.

With Taffy, "blue skies" is the new "five by five". It was kind of neat to see two different actresses play the same character. I found it funny how Sierra, when imprinted with Taffy's personality, knew exactly where she put the safecracking tools on her body.

Obviously, Ballard is still recovering from getting shot last week. I'm so glad the episodes are being shown in order and not in the royal clusterf**k formation that was Firefly.

When Ballard got wiped, I immediately figured it was Alpha (yes, I changed the spelling from "Alfa". It's easier to recognize). He's become the Blofeld to Echo's Bond. I'm sticking with my theory that Ballard is Alpha, but if he was Alpha then Topher would be in on wiping him and creating a new identity for him. Since Topher was obviously ignorant of him, it may disprove my theory. Unless, of course, some other anti-Dollhouse organization is involved that possesses similar technology. This would go a long way to explaining the whole "remote mind wipe" scenario.

Amy Acker must have been taking a break this week. In her place, we had Topher's other female scientist assistant.

Picasso's fragmented style of painting was a good metaphor for Echo's condition. It's nice to watch the episode in the art vault with a former art major. I was also informed that the sunflower painting was by Van Gogh.

Given the nature of her role, it was obvious that Echo was going to escape unscathed tonight. Why didn't the hotel employees hear any of the shots? It seemed that everyone in the kitchen was acting normally.

We did learn tonight that circumstances exist in which the Dollhouse would kill the Actives working for it. Obviously, if the Dollhouse's existence became jeopardized, the Active has to go (although you'd think that wiping their mind again would be just as effective since it could be construed as death of personality). Was that clause made clear to Caroline when she signed her contract at the beginning of the series?

It was a decent if not great episode that furthered the mystery behind the nature of the Dollhouse and Alpha. I understand that Fox loosened their stranglehold on the show around episode six (written by Joss Whedon), so I'm hoping that the series will take a dramatic turn to greatness around that time.

Dollhouse

This maybe the best episode of Dollhouse I have seen thus far. I like the fact that "Echo" is not some mindless zombie doing what she is programmed. She will begin to have memory of he past life. The best part of the episode was the fight scene between Eliza Dushku and Tahmoh Penikett is great. They looked like they really went at it and left nothing restrained. I also like one scene when one character is scared and then attack without any mercy based on a password. Great show overall, and the story will be better in future episodes

Source :http://watchdollhouseonline.com/

April 28 2009 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shewhoroars

hey, does anybody know who sings that song at the end that says "I go to sleep," i cant hear any of the other lyrics, which makes it hard to look up in a lyric search on google.

March 30 2009 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

I watched this episode after watching episode 5. In terms of continuity it didn't matter. Episode 4 (the one reviewed here) was much better than 5. Had they aired in reverse order I'd have thought that the show was improving. Then I'd have seen this week's and been more disappointed.

This episode was pretty good. In the beginning Echo as Taffy reminded me of Faith. It was pretty hot. It made me cheer. It was also sad because I knew that the episode that aired after it was not as good. I'm trying to decide if it's time to give up on the show.

March 15 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
solving the law problem

The reason it is illegal was explained in this episode--they are clearly accessories to crimes in some instances, involved in full conspiracy in others. Even without the moral/slavery angle, that makes them an illegal organization. Think of the Dollhouse like the mob--everything they do may not be illegal, but enough of the things they do are, so the whole organization is illegal. Yes, the durees/fraud in inducement may be true, but that would subject them to civil penalties, not criminal action. The slavery may be true, but there are plenty of controversial things people sign up for now that they are not fully informed or given a Hobson's choice. Dollhouse is illegal because the organization aids and abets in crime. End of story.

March 13 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
In A World (XBL)

The best thing I can say about Dollhouse (so far) is that it has simplistic disconnected procedural storylines that unfold and get wrapped up again by the end of each episode. Personally I detest this format, but it lends itself to mass market appeal, which will pretty much guarantee it'll be on the air for a long time. So it's a bittersweet victory for Whedon fans, who need only make a concession that their new favorite show is dumbed down enough to survive.

March 09 2009 at 5:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherry Giles

I agree that Echo seemed to have been blackmailed into becoming an active (reminded me of "Point of No Return"). As for their activities, it seems like there are quite a few criminal elements. What about prostitution?

I think it's getting better and better, and I'm looking forward to the episodes where Fox has loosened up and let Joss drive the ship.

March 08 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

I think I'm watching a different show to most of the people here.

Maybe I'm not clever enough to understand Whedon's genius, but it seems like a load of really wooden actors doing stuff that other people could do loads better.

Maybe I missed the point, but I don't care enough to keep viewing it. If this keeps going & Life on Mars & Terminator get canned then I'll be really confused.

March 08 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DarthPaul's comment
Andrew

You're probably really confused right about now...hehe

May 26 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
literaryluv

The whole contract claim can't hold up because, as someone had mentioned, its not REALLY voluntary. In the first episode Echo/Caroline says "Do I have a choice?" when discussing her enslavement into Dollhouse. The contract isn't giving up yourself for a term of time for food and shelter as consideration for the contract. The true contract is people who are in dire legal situations with no way out who give up their liberty (which is inalienable - I might add) in consideration for not getting "ratted out". That is duress which makes the contract void.

Furthermore, the whole idea of "informed consent" falls short. How can one possibly be completely informed of all the possible dangers they may encounter? Do you think there is a general clause that says "anything we do with your body, whether sexual or life threatening" would be sufficient to satisfy informed consent by law?

But what do I know - I'm just a law student.

March 08 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to literaryluv's comment
cdawg

i'm a lawyer and you hit the nail on the head.

It's slavery through and through. Duress. Fraud in the Inducement. Thus contract is null and void.

Regardless, as another commenter said, you cant contract to do something that is illegal - thus just because you sign a contract to be a slave does not make it a valid contract. Slavery is illegal.

March 09 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

And its a TV show, obviously not based in reality.

March 10 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

Best episode so far I think. I'm really hoping it gets awesome in the next few episodes once the "real" Whedon stuff starts coming.

March 07 2009 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I don't get the "improving every week" thing, and surmise it to be the imagination of Whedonites. Last week's episode was sort of okay, but this week's was garbage. The premise to everything in the episode was odd. A security system which went offline and had no secondary security? A midwife? And the picasso bit "made sense" but got old quickly. Ballard is as exciting and new as French Toast.

I'm really hoping we get some better serialization or some more interesting missions. One thing holding this episode back was that the only thing at stake was the reputation of the Dollhouse, and then Echo when things went wrong. They weren't fighting "for anything." At least in episode three they were trying to save a life.

March 07 2009 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply