October 21, 2014

Breaking news - Oprah and Tyler Perry are crazy rich! - VIDEO

by Eliot Glazer, posted Mar 9th 2009 6:01PM
oprah tyler perry money cars rich mogul madea gayle kingBless Oprah Winfrey's soul for all the good work she does in the name of bettering humanity. She gets people to read, she gives poor kids scholarships, she reaches out to victims of environmental disaster, and, of course, there was that time she gave a new car to everyone in her audience. She's a money fairy out to save the world, and we applaud her for it.

But then there are times when Oprah's weird side comes out, when that unique connection she so strongly maintains with her audience - both in the studio and viewers at home - is broken in favor of reminders that, oh yeah, Planet Oprah might not be such a crazy notion. The lady probably uses $100 bills to clean her teeth. And, in case you'd forgotten, she and buddies Gayle King and Tyler Perry will remind you, as they did while palling around on Friday's show, on which Oprah retold a super-nauseating story about Perry giving her the most incredibly unnecessary gift a media mogul could ever not hope for.

Bonus footage at the end features Gayle and Oprah using the term "boinking," which is just...so...uncomfortable.)

Wait, Gayle gets a Bentley convertible, too, just for telling Tyler Perry how nice he is?!

In that case, Tyler, PURPLE LOOKS GOOD ON YOU! And, also, I need new glasses!

alex

Alex Papas is getting ready to bring you the first Green Island in the world, called Star Island. Papas and his partners are developing a paradise within a paradise, for the rich and famous. This luxurious 5-diamond private island community is nestled at the northern end of the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas. Just a 55 min flight away from Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale or Miami and only a 10 min boat ride to the island and Harbour Island is also only a 10 min boat ride away, yet light years away in its unique culture and ambiance of unhurried ease.

Star Island will be self-sustaining, using solar,wind,hydropower,and bio-fuel energy resources. This 35-acre private island paradise will consist of 45 beachfront and dockage estate lots,waterfront Villa's and bungalows. The island will have every amenity possible including world renowned restaurants, cafes, boutiques, club house, grocery store, tennis courts, state of the art fitness center & high end spa, marina, helicopter pad, and a park. Thousands of palm trees will cover the island and its beautiful sandy beaches. The island has the best bone fishing in the world. The entire island will be managed as a 5 diamond hotel. Anyone can call at two or three in the morning to request a bottle of champagne and your favorite midnight snack. Opening in 2010, Star Island is expected to revolutionize green luxury in the Caribbean. For more info go to www.starislandbahamas.com or call Alex Papas at 954 729 8888

March 14 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley

Haters, Haters, Haters.

I am unemployed and can still delight in the good fortune of others.

Oprah certainly has a good and generous heart and deserves to receive sometimes.

Shirl

March 11 2009 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shirley's comment
Bradford West

LOL... oh Shirl. I'm sure Oprah just LOVES you too! She certainly counts on the likes you to be as rich as she is! Maybe her staff will see your message defending her and give you a special present, like a much needed makeover or a new car that you can't pay the income tax on or maybe a brain transplant! YAY!

March 14 2009 at 3:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

Oprah didn't give any one cars, it was GM, and I seem to recall that they got mad that she took all the credit.

March 10 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric H's comment
j0phus

Without Oprah would GM have give all those G6's away? Please.....

Shouldn't she receive credit for creating a show that gives to people, more so than the corporations who use it for advertising? Look at the intentions.

GM isn't concerned with giving, only what they can get from anyone they can exploit. I think that is even clearer now than it was then.

By all means, lets give GM all the credit they deserve.... Seriously, can we? Suddenly accountability doesn't seem like a good idea for them does it?

March 10 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

I am not hating on Oprah for her wealth. Its the idea of talking about such excess in this horrible economy. One in ten people watching her may have lost their job, be losing their home or a myriad of other things. The world is in a dire place right now. Have some couth. It was very insensitive. And you didnt show the begining of the video where Tyler Perry is VERY uncomfortable talking about it, and he made a point to say "this was done years ago before this economic mess". He said he felt uncomfortable talking about it.
Enjoy the wealth, but have some sensitivity about it in these economic times.

March 10 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Maria's comment
Bradford West

THANK YOU MARIA!!

You described my own disgust with Opera and her rich friends perfectly. Flaunting their wealth... "Tyler gave BOTH Gayle and I a car that no average person could afford...how wonderful!..." God, makes me sick. I really liked Oprah for many many years, but over time I've grown absolutely sick of her. We need some real people on TV. So sad Oprah has lost her realness.

March 14 2009 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Wow....once again the haters come out.

Why can't people be happy for people that are successful instead of resenting their success?

Class warfare sucks. It just makes the haters look so pathetic for being jealous and resentful and insecure about their own person life choices.

I don't even like Oprah (because of her mouth, not because of her success), but I don't begrudge her a new car. If he wants to give them a car - good for him.

I think people who want to criticize Tyler, Oprah and Gayle need to turn inward and examine their own lives and figure out what they can do to be successful insted of tearing other people down.

March 10 2009 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I forgot to mention Tyler P. bought himself an island...how cute. Maybe he , gayle and the BIG O can go and STAY there.

March 10 2009 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Let's face it rich people think only of themselves...."Let them eat cake" mentality. I mean, how many of your friends buys you a car, for you saying how nice they are. Please forgive me as I gag over these self-indulgent and their sick world.

March 10 2009 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kathy's comment
j0phus

Really? Oprah doesn't think of anyone but herself?

I found myself full of disgust watching this clip, but your comment surpasses that. He can afford an island, and he bought one. Get over it.

Seems to me like you are the one thinking only of yourself.

March 10 2009 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ns

Haha, that's why a lot of people in this world as still poor or stay in the middle class. you can't even admire somebody's success. if you get the chance to make it big and you get rich, wouldn't you treat yourself to nice things, buy a big house and drive the best cars? We are humans so we all want that, so stop hating and playing hypocrites. They are already giving a lot to various organizations and people, so cut them some slacks and give them credit for it; they are not going to help every single person on earth. By you appreciating what they got and what they do, maybe you'll make the world better, since you can't donate millions to charity.

October 31 2009 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Even though I'm African-American, I secretly hated all 3 for reveling in their wealth in that clip. Also, did you see the eye roll of the blonde actress (I can't remember her name) after Oprah gave her 1st punchline? ;) I almost felt sorry for Tyler Perry as he initially looked uncomfortable at Oprah regaling the world with stories of their shared wealth. However, I kinda feel sorry for the other two faces at the table. And, I can imagine myself in their place - sitting at a table of bankers talking about burning Madison's for heat as while I contemplated paying my heating bill with quarters ;)

March 09 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anita's comment
MDD

Trust me... "other two faces at the table."

Mark Consuelos and Alexandra Wentworth aren't exactly hurting for funds either...

March 09 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply