September 19, 2014

GSN needs more Let's Make A Deal, less Millionaire

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 9th 2009 1:07PM
GSNI love GSN, but there are several things wrong with it.

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here (hand planted right around nose height) with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? The network airs the show way, way too much. I'm sure it's popular and there are probably promotional considerations involved, considering it's actually a show that's still on the air (GSN airs both the older Regis Philbin episodes and the newer Meredith Vieira ones), but we really don't need the show on as much as it is.

What would I put on instead? More classic game shows!

I love watching old episodes of Let's Make A Deal, Password, Card Sharks, Press Your Luck, and To Tell The Truth. Not just for the games themselves but to see the prizes from the 70s and 80s, the clothing, the announcers. Seeing the products used as prizes on these shows are like watching a live time capsule. We need more of that. And I don't mean reruns of Dog Eat Dog and The Weakest Link.

They also need more original game shows. I'm not a big fan of Catch 21 and Bingo America, but Lingo is a fun show that is unfortunately no longer in production. If they're not going to show classic game shows or come up with new ideas for shows, how about making an updated version of an old show? We have a new version of The Newlywed Game coming in April, but they can do better than that.

So that's how I would improve GSN. Oh, and get rid of Alfonso Ribeiro on GSN Live.

ealfano717

Not enough Love triangle or Baggage, too many re runs, too much Lingo

July 28 2011 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb Rice

I have always loved Pyramid & loved the current show with Donnie Osmond. What happened to it?

April 22 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I like to watch the old '70s game shows to see how much prizes were back then, namely cars. They were $3,000 back then--now they're $18,000, $19,000, $23,000, $28,000 these days. Cadillacs were $9,400 in the '70s--now they're $47,000-55,000 in 2009! I noticed that while watching Let's Make a Deal.

March 23 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that GSN is trying not to show too much of the '70s game shows like Let's Make A Deal and $25,000 Pyramid too often. It's what got people gravitated to the network in the '90s. They've noticed a lot of the newer game shows like Millionnaire and want to show those episodes more. And even produce their own shows on their network. Plus most things are played on DVD now versus videotape in the past. There's a bigger library for game shows now. There have been a lot of game shows lately with contestants competing for a million dollars. Trying to avoid giving contestants cheesy "lovely parting gifts" for losing contestants is the trend in game shows these days. Trust me, I love the old shows, but I hope they can pick up the game shows that lasted for short runs on Fox and CBS recently. Such as Drew Carey's short Lived Power of 10 and Regis Philbin's Million Dollar Password that ran for 6-week runs on CBS in 2008. I'm sure that some production companies have kept possession of the old '60s and '70s shows and GSN has to get the rights and permission to air them. I'd like for them to run The Price Is Right's episodes of the '80s and '90s because many of them were good. But there's so much of a library of game shows that they can run within their 24 hour time slot. They could run thousands of those shows within 6 months to a year on their network. Much the same way that USA and cable networks showed Press Your Luck and Let's Make A Deal on weekday afternoons in the late '80s.

March 23 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

How about an updated Match Game, it was bounced around a couple of years ago, everyone put in panelist suggestions (like Ant, and Kathy Griffith) and you could use the same questions all over again!

March 09 2009 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

I don't mind all the Millionaire myself, but then I've always really liked that show.

I would like to see more classics though. Particularly Concentration and TPIR. To make room in the schedule I'd eliminate all GSN produced shows (they all suck, even Lingo) and any of the Dog Eat Dog/Weakest Link type shows.

Also, get rid of GSN Live completely. What a waste of time, I'd rather watch more commercials.

March 09 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

I want Tattletales and Joker's Wild!!!! Not some crap that was on another network about three months ago.

March 09 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Davis

I have no idea how to respond.

I work in game shows. I have for a while. LMAD and most other classics get about half the ratings that Millionaire does. It's still by far, without question, the highest rated game show on the network. Millionaire didn't come as cheaply as you think. It's a big ratings draw compared to the rest of the aging, ratings challenged shows.

March 09 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alex Davis's comment
John

Like I said, I'd be surprised, but I could be totally off base...and I guess I am! But I guess money would have to do with a lot of it too, more so that ratings for say, prime time network television.

I want more TPiR...I was on it in 2002 and I'd love to get a cleaner copy!!

March 09 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Davis

Millionaire gets ratings. LMAD doesn't get as much ratings. Why get worse ratings. Simple as that.

March 09 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alex Davis's comment
John

I'd be surprised if any of those shows get much bigger ratings than any others - I think it's more about what they can get cheaply that's enough of a draw. They can't show a lot of stuff people want (old Price is Right!) because it just costs too much money.

March 09 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

And around 10 years ago they used to do "Sunday Nights In Black And White" where they showed kinescopes of the really old stuff from the 50s-- What's My Line, I've Got a Secret, very early To Tell The Truth. It's when the celebrities were witty and the shows felt like a bunch of clever people playing games at a cocktail party.

I wish they'd start doing that again. Heck-- do it at 3:00 in the morning and let me set my DVR for it.

March 09 2009 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rebecca's comment
Brent McKee

They've been doing just that. Unfortunately that ends with the new schedule. And you're right, there's a wit and erudition about those shows that isn't seen today (though watching Gary Moore flick cigarette ashes onto the studio floor on "I've Got A Secret" annoyed me to no end - an ashtray isn't that hard to use).

March 10 2009 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply