August 27, 2014

Jericho makes another comeback, just not to your television

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 10th 2009 8:34AM
JerichoIt's hard to deny the passion that fans of CBS's late apocalyptic drama Jericho had. Their "nuts" campaign prompted the network to reverse order and bring back the show after officially canceling it. That second season did provide some closure on many of the dangling plot threads, but some fans felt it didn't live up to the quality of the first. Whether this had to do with the reduced episode order or the reduced budget is uncertain, but none of that matters now.

Thanks to the ongoing dedication of those fans, Devil's Due Publishing has inked a deal with CBS Consumer Products to continue the story of Jericho in comic book format. Both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel have had amazing success publishing their new "seasons" in the comic book medium. More recently, Sci Fi's Farscape launched a comic continuation of its own, while many other properties are telling original tales in comics (Eureka, Supernatural and Fringe come to mind). But with Jericho being far less sci-fi/fantasy in its presentation, it'll be interesting to see if its fans follow it to this new medium.

Considering Jericho was popular with demographics not normally associated with comics, I'm not sure how big a response there will be. And sorry, ladies, but you'll have to settle for line drawings of Skeet Ulrich. While Dan Schotz, Co-Executive Producer of Jericho says that it was fan enthusiasm that drove them "to find new and fresh ways to tell the Jericho story ... we are so thrilled about this comic book series and the endless possibilities for the future of Jericho," nowhere does he mention what this might mean for the proposed Jericho feature film, first mentioned earlier this year.

However, since that is supposed to be a stand-alone story that explores a more national response to the attacks that crippled and destroyed American society as we know it, there's no reason that we couldn't have our comics and a movie, too. I'm just worried that this news is the positive spin on a movie deal possibly falling through. Still, I'm a fan of comics anyway, so it's no skin off my back to have to read the further adventures of one of my favorite shows rather than watch it on the screen.

What I do want them to do, though, is go back and undo the ending we got. Two endings were filmed, one with a more dire cliffhanger to be continued in the third season, and the one we got which was a compromised ending providing more closure. If the show's not ending, I don't think a little retcon is completely out of order. Just do your "Previously on Jericho" bit to start the comic and then change the ending a bit. The old movie serials used to do it all the time (Hey, that guy didn't get out of the burning car driving off the cliff last week!). After all, the cliffhanger is the ending they really wanted to give us, and this will allow them to tell their originally intended story with no more compromises.

Rick

Not what I was looking for. As a non-comic book reader, I will be extremely disappointed without the "real live" characters of the story. Without Urlich and gang, this story is just paper and not exciting. A sure way to kill a popular idea, strong storyline, and character compatibility. The only think I can say is "What were they thinking?"

March 12 2009 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Hey, comics are better than nothing. I'm all for this trend.

March 11 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cher

Alas this is not want I wanted but maybe it will keep the story of Jericho alive and who knows.....

March 10 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
artzylady2002

While I'm not in love with the idea of Jericho, The Comic Book, I'm not surprised because a graphic novel has been talked about for quite a while. If this leads to more fans who convince the studio to produce the move, which can lead to more episodes on TV, then I'm all for it and will definitely buy it (them).

March 10 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwen

I think a Jericho comic book is a good step towards the movie. The latest ont he movie was announced at Wondercon. You can see the clip on this website:

Gwen
www.jericho-kansas.com

March 10 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gwen's comment
artzylady2002

Thanks Gwen. I had not seen this clip. It sounds like it's pretty certain that the movie will happen. :)

March 10 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Jason, any update on this?

March 10 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I was happy that this show had a second season, and I was more-or-less satisfied with the ending. Looking forward to the movie if it gets released, probably won't even bother with the comics though.

March 10 2009 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhillyPhan

I'm with you Jason. Start with the "real" ending. I don't have a problem ignoring what they showed on TV as an ending.

I am in that demo not into comics (although I grew up reading them), but I'll be trying out this story. It may be the only way I get the answers I crave! So count me in!

N2N2

March 10 2009 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

People just need to let this show die. I enjoyed the first season but sometimes you have to let go.

March 10 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy's comment
KIrsch

Did you not like the show or are you just one of those people who dont like sequels because they always fall short of high expectations like Episode I of starwars?

March 10 2009 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Four reasons why people will never give up -

1) Star Trek
2) Doctor Who
3) Family Guy
4) Futurama

All four were cancelled and came back because the fanbase kept on keeping on.

In the first two cases, there was more than a decade between cancellation and revival, during which time they were kept alive by comic books, novels, fanfics, etc. So the case can be made that Jericho, along with Buffy and the others mentioned, is following longstanding fan tradition by going the comic book route.

(Disclaimer - I never watched Jericho, so I don't have a fanstake in this one.)

March 10 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply