October 31, 2014

The Big Bang Theory: The Terminator Decoupling

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 10th 2009 3:02AM
BBT terminator

This was a crazy episode. Basically, it seemed like a half-hour long ad for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Summer Glau guest-starring and the guys not being able to keep their fanboy-ness at bay makes total sense, except for the fact that Big Bang Theory is on CBS, and Terminator is on FOX. It's rare that you see that much cross-network love going around, so that was strange, but interesting.

Now, I don't watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I did see the pilot, so Summer Glau's robot affectation on that series made some sense to me. She's playing herself on this show, though, so what's her excuse? She wasn't given very many lines, but everything she said was so flat and emotionless that it would have made more sense for the plot if they had just explained that she's really Method and never breaks character. But they didn't, so it was just... bad.

The episode itself was pretty good, though. There wasn't enough Penny, but even though she wasn't on the train with the guys, she managed to get some good moments in there -- mainly when she was going through the letters that Sheldon's grandmother sent him and making him tell her why she calls him "Moon Pie."

Raj and Wolowitz had some fun in this episode, as well, with their attempts to hit on Summer Glau. Raj has previously proven himself to be a bit of a ladies man when he drinks, so it was no surprise that he was able to charm Summer. It was especially hilarious when he took credit for Slumdog Millionaire. If I were Indian, I would probably do the exact same thing.

Wolowitz, predictably, fared much worse. With all of his practice hitting on women, he still hasn't learned that telling them about a dream in which you rip off their legs probably isn't a good idea. She was still nice enough to pose for a picture with him for his Facebook page, so there is that. And really, what more do you need? If you have a picture, you can make up whatever story you want to go along with it.

Here are some of my favorite lines from this episode:

"I have eleven hours with her in a confined space. Unless she's willing to jump off a moving train and tuck and roll down the side of a hill, she will eventually succumb to the acquired taste that is Howard Wolowitz." -- Wolowitz

Wolowitz: "Unlike you, I can actually talk to women while I'm sober."
Raj: "You fail to take into account that even mute, I am foreign and exotic, while you on the other hand, are frail and pasty."
Wolowitz: "Well ... you know the old saying: 'Pasty and frail, never fail!'"

Leonard: "Well, it seems once again you're caught between a rock and a crazy place."
Sheldon: "Oh, I hate when that happens."

"Normally, around women he has the personality of a boiled potato. Put one beer in him, and he has the personality of M. Knight Charmalarmalon." -- Wolowitz

"So anyway, in the dream, you and I were ice skating -- just the two of us -- and I picked you up by your ankles and twirled you round and around until your legs tore off. I tried to stick 'em back on, but before I could, you turned into a giant loaf of pumpernickel bread. What do you think that means?" -- Wolowitz

RennaCalix

I thought the Sheldon rant about the perfect plot for Terminators to come back and invade disguised as the actors who played Terminators was about the funniest thing in this episode. But Penny with the puzzle box was a very close second.-

March 11 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

As for this ep, it was as great as it usually is. Basically, BBT is terrific no matter what its just that some eps are even more choc full of hilarity than others. There's always some brilliant dialogue and this week was no exception. Loved all the quotes listed here but you left out the whole puzzle box bit (which I thought was hilarious) and how paranoid Sheldon was about having anyone in his room.

Loved the part when Leonard dismissed even going over to try to talk to Summer based on the fact that he had a hot blonde across the hall he couldn't score with. Epic. Also, the bit with the guys debating the whole Terminator universe and Leonard ending it with "hey , its just a TV show" while a tad bit expected was still pretty funny considering.

March 11 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Smithee

"You guys are misinformed about show scheduling. Both coasts begin prime time at 8pm, it is Central and Mountain that begins at 7pm. Geez..."

You guys? One person, Diego, said it wrong. And he was right about the Sacramento station --- he was only wrong in extrapolating that to the whole coast. You can check by going to the CBS website, selecting the Sacramento affiliate, and looking at their schedule. Work on your reading comprehension, and your fact checking, before you get on your high horse with the rest of us. Geez.

March 11 2009 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Nope, in So Cal, CBS starts at 8pm.

I thought Summer Glau was bland on this episode. I haven't seen Sarah Connor Chronicles or Firefly, but I did see her on The Unit. Even if she was playing herself - her acting just didn't do anything. She looked like she wasn't sure how to act/respond to anything anyone said to her. It was really noticeable when the camera pulled out to show Howard sitting in the seat in front of Raj and Summer. She should have been looking at least mildly interested in Raj talking but she looked like she was pretending to look like she was listening to Raj talking.

It's one thing when Howard is talking to her (he being creepy). But with Raj (especially since the lines she was saying appeared that she was at least somewhat intrigued by Raj) - it shouldn't have looked like bad acting.

If as an actor, you are supposed to be interested, repulsed, whatever - you should look interested, repulsed, whatever. Not like you're waiting for your cue or the camera to start rolling.

I enjoy BBT a lot.

March 11 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SphericalChick

Although The Terminator Decoupling was not one of my all time favorite episodes, it contained a few good laughs. I have a feeling I will be using the line "Well, it seems once again you're caught between a rock and a crazy place." sometime in the near future. :)

March 10 2009 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

this is the second episode i've watched of BBT and i don't get the appeal. there are no quirky moments just annoying moments, they geniouses, they talk with SAT words and are awkward with women...

their rants are freaking annoying i just fast forwarded to the scenes with summer and i found the indian guy the least annoying. the rest of the guys should be in a think tank somewhere, away form the TV.

how this gets 9 million viewers and chuck gets 6 is beyond me.

this might have to do with the fact that in the west coast CBS starts at 7. they probably get the "sleeping senior citizen" demographic, the coveted demo that is the seniors who sleep after the 6 PM news.

March 10 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Diego M's comment
rtms

The best parts were the Sheldon/Penny teasing. These two just have awesome chemistry when they play off each other.Even being back at the apartment on the phone Penny managed to upset Sheldon.

March 10 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartone

both Terminator and Big Bang are produced by Warner Bros. that is probably why they did this

March 10 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I don't get the fascination with Summer.

I would take Penny over her any day of the week. And I prefer brunettes!

March 10 2009 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Ryan

Well to the BBT boys Summer Glau is a geek goddess while Penny is just their next door neighbor.

I mean my God, they were practically smitted with George Smoot. Sadly no mention of him at all in the entry.

March 10 2009 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
browncoat

Summer Glau playede Summer Glau badly? She's always like that, ecpacially in her interviews. She's not a method actor, she is just cast because of her personality.

March 10 2009 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This episode was pretty good, very funny in some places, but not because of Summer Glau who badly acted her way through the entire episode. As usual, it was Jim Parsons who was the saving grace of this episode. Without Sheldon I'm not sure BBT would be nearly as funny. Someone needs to be getting this guy some attention for an Emmy.

March 10 2009 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply