December 18, 2014

Wait a second ... The Mentalist is a repeat again tonight?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 10th 2009 2:19PM
The MentalistHere we are in the middle of the March sweeps period (March this year instead of February, because we were supposed to switch to digital TV on February 17 and Nielsen was worried that would screw up the numbers) and The Mentalist is a repeat tonight. Not only that, but it's the third week in a row where the show has been a repeat.

Hmmm...I wonder why CBS has made this decision?

The February/March sweeps period is one of the more important months of the year for the networks (along with November and May), so you would think they'd want to have their top new show on with new episodes. I would assume they have enough new episodes to go until the end of the season, so it's probably not a matter of keeping new shows on the shelf so they have enough.

Next week? I'm still trying to figure that out. Though CBS.com says that the next two weeks are new, the CBS Sports site says there's a college basketball game on for the next two Tuesdays. Stay tuned.

D Colin

I wondered last month what was up-- then I read sweeps was moved to March. Then I've noticed repeats all over this months, on several networks. The CW isn't new until next week, CBS has only been new on Mondays and Thursdays the past two weeks. ABC had Grey's repeats. So if this is sweeps for this year I'm confused. And yeah with basketball coming up I'm sure there will be a couple Tuesdays and Thursdays taken over by the tournament.
It's certainly helped with my recordings. On Monday and Thursdays I'm usually using my dvr and two vcrs. I noticed though with last weeks CSI:miami it seemed like I had missed an episode - must be cause I got out of a routine and missed an episode.

March 10 2009 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
backflip

Was it really necessary to make this post?

OH SHIT THREE'S COMPANY IS A RERUN TONIGHT!

March 10 2009 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I read somewhere that the cable companies are working on a joint ratings system with a very large sample. They need to get that system going asap. I think they ought to let anybody participate in the ratings that wants to. If you don't want to because of privacy concerns then thats fine but the shows you watch won't be counted in the ratings. Nielsen had plenty of chances to modernize their system. They need to go away now.

March 10 2009 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lawl

Who fucking cares. The show sucks.

March 10 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhoElseButME

Nielsen=No Clue!
These guys are big time whackjos who sample 2000 homes and extrapolate the data to millions. I've myself never known a 'Nielsen Family'.

March 10 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to WhoElseButME's comment
Darren

Couldn't have said it better myself - Nielsen needs to go, they don't have a clue what's going on anymore

March 10 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I have been a Nielson family twice in my life. Once when I was about 12, and just recently in the last 6 months....I did my best to "represent." :) I made sure to explain that with my schedule, I use my DVR and wait weeks to watch episodes. I also told them that I like to get three or more episodes of a new show in order to watch them back-to-back. It helps me get invested in the show easier. :)

March 10 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

The sports link goes to a schedule for the CBS College Sports Network, not CBS.

March 10 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

I've noticed CBS has been very sporadic with new episodes since the winter hiatus finished.

I wonder if they were a little trigger-shy on back-9 orders so they are waiting for finished episodes.

Also being on the west coast, I almost never get prime-time disrupted by things like presidential speeches and ballgames, so it's sometimes not obvious why something is a repeat.

March 10 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Yeah, what's up with all of the re-runs this month? ABC is doing the same thing.

March 10 2009 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

That kinda sucks ... I feel like I've been waiting for a new episode for ages now.

March 10 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply