November 28, 2014

The Office: Golden Ticket

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 13th 2009 1:33AM
the golden ticket the office
(S05E17) I'm with Jay Black: last week's episode of The Office was kind of "meh" for me. Luckily, this week more than made up for it. Even though season five has our favorite Dunder-Mifflinites looking way more glamorous than in the first season (I mean, really. I know Pam's in love, but it does not make your hair that shiny), we've gone back to season one levels of Michael Scott stupidity.

At first, when Jim and Michael were freaking out about giving 10% off to one of their biggest clients, I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. I mean, I love sales and all, but 10% isn't enough "whimsy" to make me want to wear a top hat. Then I realized that the coupon was for 10% the entire year -- and as Darryl said, they use three pallets of paper a week. So that's bad enough -- but then it turned into 50%, and I can see why everyone was freaking out.

Convincing Dwight to take the fall for him is such a classic Michael Scott idea that I kind of groaned when they started going down that route. However, they managed to take it into an unexpected place. That it ended up being a good idea isn't a huge twist, but that Dwight so readily went along with it and took the credit? I didn't expect that -- and it was hilarious. Between Michael's face and Dwight's conference call, the last ten minutes of this episode were absolutely golden.

There wasn't much of a B story this week, just Kevin trying to get up the courage to ask out the woman he met at the Valentine's Day mixer last week. I love how Andy, who put down multiple non-refundable deposits on wedding venues and honeymoons just to cater to Angela's every whim, is giving Pick-Up Artist-style advice to Kevin. There really hasn't been a whole lot of fallout from the Dwight/Andy/Angela love triangle, but it's nice to see it's still playing out in the background.

Some of my favorite lines from this week's episode:

"I don't like getting advice from more than one person at a time. I'm a textbook over-thinker." -- Kevin

"You can't let a girl feel good about herself; it will backfire on you. Every compliment has to be backhanded: 'Oh, I like your dress -- but I'd like it more if you had prettier hair." -- Andy

Michael: "Hey, hey, hey! You Idiot!"
Darryl: "Start over."
Michael: "Sir..."

"Look, I'm going to ask you something, and I want you to be honest: What is a pallet?" -- Michael

"I am just a net that traps all of your crappy subconscious ideas and adds a little bit of my own childhood memories and whimsy, so..." -- Michael

"Well you know what, Jim? It is not my fault that you bought a house to impress Pam. That is why carnations exist." -- MIchael

Michael: "Why do you keep a diary?"
Dwight: "To keep secrets from my computer."

"Okay guys, listen up. Here's the deal: I love candy; sweet, sugary candy from the second it touches my tongue, to the moment it's metabolized by my stomach acids, so naturally I liked Willy Wonka." -- Dwight

DK

Best episode this season.

I loved when the Office was congratulating Dwight:

Jim: ...so I apologize.
Dwight: Apology rejected!

Creed: Good job.
Dwight: Thanks, old man!

But honestly, this was without a doubt the funniest since probably the start of Season 4. I will probably have an image of Michael dancing in the warehouse in my head for a long time.

March 13 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

My favorite is Pam running over to hug Dwight, something Michael's been desperately wanting since day one.

Also another fav, when Jim advised that Kevin take it slow for a month and Pam's basically like "Oh hell no, don't make her go through what I went through!"

Man, Darryl had a LOT of tolerance with Michael when he started off the conversation that way.

March 13 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Allison-you're right, they totally hit the nail on the head for casting Kevin's new love interest. I think it was a sweet side story and glad that it carried on from last week's episode.

This episode was great. And I like how Jim didn't coddle him, but really let him know that he was mad about what happened.

This whole season has shown growing tension and animosity between Michael and David Wallace. I think something big is on the horizon.

March 13 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

AMAZING show! It was pure perfection down to the casting-like someone else said. They cast the most amazing people for the show, and this epi was fabulous! Thank you Office!!!

March 13 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

How Michael continues to be employed is beyond me!

March 13 2009 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I really think whoever does the casting on this show is the best in the business. I love the actress they chose for Kevin. She is what I would consider his "type". This show uses regular looking people for its cast and it is fantastic!

March 13 2009 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Nice.

Boobs.

March 13 2009 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

5 coupons of 10% off does not equal 50%!

March 13 2009 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tommy's comment
Allison

Depends how the coupon was worded. If it was "10% off the regular price", or something like that, it would be 50%. If it just says 10% off your order, they could get away with about 59%. Either way, it is costing the company money and a stupid thing to do.

March 13 2009 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

Did anyone else think that Wallace's "that was a brilliant idea" bit was going to turn out to be just an act because he knew it had to be Michael that did it? I kept waiting for it to turn, but they didn't go in that direction. I guess that is the kind of thing Michael Scott would do, but not David Wallace.

March 13 2009 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Great episode.

I loved the knock knock jokes.

"The KGB waits for no one!"

March 13 2009 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul's comment
Dan

Or how about Jim's version "Come back later"? That was a hilarious joke all around. Honestly, last night was the best night for 30 Rock and The Office in a LONG time...both were awesome!

March 13 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply