July 30, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Tracy Morgan/Kelly Clarkson - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 15th 2009 12:45PM
Tracy Morgan
(S34E19)
It's a great, big homecoming party for Tracy Morgan and he brought enough jaunty delivery for us all. I'll admit, if anyone else were to try and pull off this type of delivery, I'd be pretty annoyed. However, it's Tracy Morgan and he's got this choppy, unrealistic speech down to an art. It has become him, I guess. This episode had a few strong moments here and there, but overall, it was an "all right" episode. At least we got to revisit some old favorites from Tracy Morgan's featured player days.

Now, check out some video highlights from the evening. Also, note to self: I will stop typing "Tracy Jordan", I will stop typing "Tracy Jordan"...

Cold Open (Tracy punching a variety of people in the face while running through 30 Rock): It was a little awkward when there was the usual pause for recognition applause when Tina Fey popped up, but only, like, one person cheered.

Monologue: I guess I'm the last person in America to know about Mr. Morgan's exploding fish tank problem. Also, Lorne Michaels is my dream soda bitch.

"Brian Fellow's Safari Planet": I wonder how many of SNL's current younger viewers knew what the hell this was. In the past, this sketch rarely failed to make me laugh. It was still chuckle-worthy this time, if only to see the character again, but the personality lost a bit of its spark. Plus, I was mildly disappointed that he pronounced his last name "Fellows", though, because the weird lack of an "S" at the end was fascinating to me when I was little.

"The View": Sometimes I feel like these exaggerated, screechy impressions would make a more watchable show than the real View. Although the sketch wasn't particularly interesting, I loved that Tracy Morgan portrayed his 30 Rock wife. Maybe he was holding back a little on copying her mannerisms.

"Scared Straight": What prompted that gigglefest at the end of the sketch? Was it because Jason Sudeikis sounded like he snapped both the desk and his coccyx when he sat down? Whatever it was, it was actually sort of nice to see this group break character for once.

"Dateline": Good to see Bill Hader doing some more sketches this week; it feels like there's been a significant drop in Hader action in the past few episodes.

"Astronaut Jones": This sketch was pretty weak, but that damn theme song gets me every time. Upload that part, Internet. Upload it.

Digital Short (Party Guys): All right, this was pretty dumb, but you've got to admit Jason Sudeikis' Batman hanging out at the party was pretty hilarious.

"Weekend Update": Seeing John Lutz for a second time was a treat for anyone that knows who he is. Also, Kristen Wiig makes a startlingly good Barbie and Bill Hader's totally nailed that John Malkovich impression.

"Suppressex": The best parts of this were certainly Will Forte's delivery of "This is no time for an erection" and Tracy Morgan's "Uh-oh! That cat isn't wearing any pants!" Intentionally jaunty delivery for the win.

icqfullpatch

It was a fun episode. I love Hader's Dateline and his John Malkovitch voice was perfect. Barbie was hilarious and I always love it when they make fun of The View.
What I was distracted with was Kenan Thompson mouthing Tracey's lines in Scared Straight. I don't know if that was his character or if he was nervous that Tracey was going to go off the script. video izle Seeing Hader laugh was great and in the end I think everything just fell apart, someone missed their line and Jason Sudeikis had to pull it all together, it's fun watching them screw up (especially since it happens so rarely these days).

April 07 2009 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R. Reed

TM never had a single character or sketch on SNL that I though was any good. Thats why I was quite surprised when his 30 Rock Tracy Jordan character grew on me, and I came to appreciate his performance and his chemistry with Tina F.

Now, back on SNL, it was again lame lame lame. Crappy episode, redeemed only by some good impressions. What an amazing contrast with last week's 5 star Dwayne Johnson episode! The best and worst of the season back to back.

BTW, my wife hushed me up on my 2nd wisecrack about Kelly C's surprising girth.

March 16 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The cold open started better than it ended, but it was a nice change of pace.

Brian Fellow(s) was not funny. Never has been, never will be.

The View was pretty good, for the impersonations alone.

Scared Straight has never been super funny, but this was probably the best one they've ever done. I dare say it's Kenan's best character.

Astronaut Jones: Comedy Gold!

Digital Short: Weak.

Weekend Update: Slowly but surely the Obama jokes are starting to creep in!

Hader's John Malkovich: Effin' incredible.

March 16 2009 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

no comments about kelly's increasing weight? i commend you commenters. however, i think this kelly is finnnnee. as a lover of BBW's she is hotttt!!!!!!!!

March 16 2009 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

Hah only 1 girl cheered for Cena in the opening

March 15 2009 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

What I was distracted with was Kenan Thompson mouthing Tracey's lines in Scared Straight. I don't know if that was his character or if he was nervous that Tracey was going to go off the script. Seeing Hader laugh was great and in the end I think everything just fell apart, someone missed their line and Jason Sudeikis had to pull it all together, it's fun watching them screw up (especially since it happens so rarely these days).
- izi

March 15 2009 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

Annie - SNL review and no mention of Kelly Clarkson?! She saved the show for me. I didn't think last night was all that funny, but I was glad I stayed up for her performances. Girl can sing! I went out today and bought her new album. Terrific stuff!

March 15 2009 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Avi

No complaints about them showing the fake diaper commercial again? I think it might be the 3rd time they showed it.

March 15 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Avi's comment
tingrin87

i thought it was. mildly amusing the first time, slightly annoying the second... fast-forwarded through it the 3rd time

March 17 2009 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gazzoo

To me the best skit was "Rocket Dog" at the end...one of those silly ones where everything fell into place.

March 15 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply