December 18, 2014

President Obama in for the toughest interview of his life ... Jay Leno?

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 16th 2009 1:04PM
Barack Obama on The Tonight ShowThe Tonight Show is the top-rated nightly talk show, which is why NBC got creative to keep Jay Leno on the air. What it is not, though, is a show to tune into for good interviews. At best Jay is a giggling buffoon. At worst Jay is ... a giggling buffoon. So it should allow for pretty free reign to talk about whatever he wants when President Obama appears on The Tonight Show this Thursday.

MSNBC says he'll talk about the economy. I know, right: That's some impressive journalism there. I was leaning toward comparing the tastes of the new Multi-Grain Big Rice Krispies and Marshmallow Rice Krispies. Personally, I think the former could use some of those marshmallows to soften the taste, but I'd really like the President's take on that.

I can't wait for Jay's hard hitting journalistic style. "Yeah, the economy's pretty tough. I only bought two new motorcycles this past week. So what's it like being President. I bet it's pretty cool."

Obama: "Uh, well, I wanted to talk about some of the things we're doing to address this economic crisis."

Jay: "Yeah, yeah. I cut back to skim milk."

Obama: "I'm sorry, you what?"

Jay: "Yeah, yeah. It's like thirty cents cheaper."

Kevin: "Thirty cents! Hee-hee-hee."

Jay: "That's right, Kevin. I care about the economy. Thirty cents is a lot of money. It adds up."

Kevin: "Skim milk!" *giggle*

Jay: "Can we get some skim milk out here. I dare you to taste the difference between skim milk and 2% milk, Kevin. President Obama, do you like Big Rice Krispies?"

mb

I was about to slam this author based on the title of his article but I see that he's got Leno down. It's a good thing I read the article because I agree with him 100%.

Jay Leno is known to avoid asking any difficult or grilling questions at all, and is considered a "safe" interview for stars to go on.

Now David Letterman, on the other hand...

President Obama is almost guaranteed to not be thrown any uncomfortable questions because Leno is a simple douche. Wanna see someone be uncomfortable (and be rewarded with a fantastic interview)? Put them on Letterman or Stern.

Leno is the equivalent of Late Night Anesthesia.

March 17 2009 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I know why he picked to go on the Tonight Show, because the Tonight Show has the highest ratings out of all of them. Come, this is another sign of how desperate Obama is with being in the media all the time. I think he's just as obsessed about himself as the media is. Since when has a president gone on shows like this and pose for photos in various newspapers and magazines (including the first lady).

This is what happens when you have a celebrity obsessed culture voting for who will be the most entertaining to them. John McCain was right, Obama is the biggest celebrity on the planet. Who knows who the actual president is. Emmanuel? Axelrod? Whoever funded his campaign the most?

I can't wait till ObamaTV debuts in three weeks. I hope they lower the mandatory 22 hours per day viewing though.

Why Thursday, though? Enough time to brainwash the public for three days to watch the show. Also, Wednesdays are booked for Obama because he needs to have those very important weekly cocktail parties that he hopes to turn into a White House tradition. Wonder if he serves skim milk?

March 16 2009 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

When you're riding a horse, and you want to let him run freely, you are giving the horse free rein. I may live to see the day when people start getting this right, but I'm 58 now, and I'm not holding my breath...

March 16 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'm surprised that a sitting President is appearing on a late night talk show. Who was the last President who did this?

After 8 years of Bush hardly speaking to us plebs, I can't decide if Obama is over-compensating, or if his amount of public speaking was the usual par course back in the day (decades ago) for Presidents.

March 16 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

will he be sharing Jay's teleprompter?

March 16 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to const's comment
B

Everybody knows George Washington never used a teleprompter, of course.

It's because he was a man, not because of that silly "not invented" or "inconvenient and expensive to use during the early stages of the products invention" thing. Nope, Washington had balls. Balls of freedom. Balls of liberty. Balls of prosperity. Balls of balls.

March 16 2009 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

>President Obama in for the toughest interview of his life

Well, since no one in the mainstream news media would EVER DARE ask him a tough question between session of the thrill running up their leg....YES.

Obama has not gotten a tough question since he announced he was running, and its pretty much how this clueless 100+ days of voting PRESENT empty suit got elected in the first place.

So the FIRST person to ask a tough question will automatically become the "toughest interview of his life".

March 16 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Han Solo's comment
B

LIBRUL MEDIAAAAAA!!!!!!!

March 16 2009 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Cheadle

I smell a train wreck. Obama and his thin skin meets Leno and his silly off-the-point questions. I still remember how candidate Obama was on Jimmy Kimmel and turned a silly one-on-one into a press conference. Even McCain, who hated being on and hated Jimmy even more was more personable. This does not bode well.

March 16 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Jason, you are a dumbass

March 16 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shy

Balooney as naadirah once said!!!!

March 16 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply